Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Trailer build almost complete!

5K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  MLTXJ9889 
#1 ·
Still need to do the wiring, add some flooring and "clean up", but here's my trailer build.

And as she sits today:

My two 2006 Moabs are in (or due to arrive) so I can finally get the spare back on the Rubicon and move a couple of the MT/R's to the trailer.

Binski :thumbsup:

See less See more
#4 ·
very nice!..lol another thing to add to my list

#5 ·
Very nice work man, very nice.

#6 ·
VERY GOOD LOOKING!!!!
But please allow me a coment.The rack at the back, is it only fot light loading?I hope it is.
Concidering that ideally the axle on a trailer sould be placed in a 60/40 manner(It looks more like 40/60) of the tub's lenght you WILL have
swinging problems.Loading the back end of your trailer will drastically transform it into a totally differnt one.Just my 2cs

#7 ·
I hear what you're saying about ideal axle placement. This trailer frame originally carried a 1000 pound generator from the factory, and that is the original axle location. The rear hitch receiver that I made is primarily for a cooler, or relatively light load. The majority of the "camping" load heavy items like water, etc. ... will be placed over the axle.

Binski

#9 · (Edited)
Based on tongue weight to axle weight calculations, the axle is where it needs to be on the empty trailer. This does change when loaded, but this trailer will likely never see more than 500 pounds total cargo. "D" is the distance from the ball connection to the center of the axle in the charts below.

Binski

#10 ·
Exactly:Having SOME WEIGHT on the rear will most likelly get your tongue weight LESS than 10%.
Therefore you have to move the Axle(s) toward the REAR of the trailer...(more like 60/40)...
If you keep your weight well balanced(10%???) you will have no problems.But then again how well can you control a full in the begining ,and half full later on the trail/road water tank?Even worse if you put jerry cans
at the back some time?
I don't want to rain on your parade just trying to be helpfull...Good chart!

#11 ·
Unfortunately you also have the 60/40 concept backwards. Here's the deal

Based on my bed length of 49", I have 39.7% behind, and 60.3% forward (so pretty close) :)

I do appreciate comments to keep me honest, safe and add value, so keep them comming!

Binski :thumbsup:

#14 ·
Very Nice!

:thumbsup:That looks awesome! Can you build me one in silver???:thumbsup:

#17 ·
Binski, I would love to see some more pics of your trailer, some inside, doors open, have built, etc. I'm working on plans for my trailer and the picture in my mind looks a lot like your trailer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.