Tow Bar Tech.... bumper mounts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Tow Bar Tech.... bumper mounts?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-30-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Tow Bar Tech.... bumper mounts?

Need to make a bumper mount for a tow bar this week. It's a Roadmaster Falcon All-Terrain I borrowed off my parents RV.

http://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bars/Roadmaster/RM-522.html

Got my own ideas, basically a mount that will sandwich/box (all four sides) the D-Ring winch-points on my bumper that are 2" tall, 1" thick, 1" hole for the clevis ring and extends 3"+ from the bumper face (ala BESRK).

It's going on a simple 2" X 4" tube bumper, 1/4' wall thickness. Figure I'll make a mount with 1" holes in 3/8" material for a 1" tractor pin (overkill, but low dollar cost), made to slip over and box the clevis mount, and a plate to bolt the attachments for the tow bar. Another plate to extend below the bumper to keep things from bending under torque if I have to brake hard. Maybe a couple reinforcing pieces welded in at 90 points.

Anybody made a mounting bracket for a tow-bar? Just looking for ideas I may have not thought about. Many minds are better than one, to twist a phrase.

Unread 08-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
jeepaddict1
1977 CJ7 

I did the same thing. I used a cheap Harbor Freight tow bar and made a box to pin through the clevis tabs. The photos are too big to post on JF, but if you give me your email, I will forward them.

Tom
jeepaddict1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #3
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I made some brackets for my tow bar. They work great!

I probably wouldn't fully box the mounts. I think the tow bar needs to be able to bend and flex as needed. Otherwise all of the movement is going to occur at the hitch.

After using mine, I realized that Warrior makes some http://www.warriorproducts.com/universal-parts/tow-bar-d-ring-adapter/
I can't say that I would've bothered making my own had I seen these before.

TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #4
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the ideas. The Falcon tow bar has a neat quick-disconnect feature, and I was trying to think of a way to make a bracket that lets the quick-disconnect mount to my clevis mounts. Seeing the Warrior Products mounts gave me a different way to think about mounting the Falcon tow bar without using the Q-D mounts for the Falcon. I'll play with the idea tomorrow.

Unread 09-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #5
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

Mounts to the shackle mounts. Eddie (BESRK) makes em, work great.

WSS

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Eddie's are nice. Didn't know he made those. Simple, strong.

Problem was/is, I have a big height difference between my truck and my jeep. The Falcon tow bar needs a pretty much level installation to work right. So I had to figure out a couple things to eliminate both the height differences of the truck and the jeep, plus the width differences of the tow bar Q-D brackets and the jeeps clevis mounts. I also needed to deal with two rotating horizontal axis inline, but eliminating one rotating horizontal axis from moving. Sounds weird, but is readily apparent when you look at the installation.

It ended up requiring lifting the truck end mounting point 8", and dropping the jeep end mounting point about 2". I had to clear the truck tailgate when it dropped, clear the Q-D mounting bolts to the home-made brackets both in height and width, plus clear the protruding receiver hitch I built into the front bumper, and still keep the tow bar level. Then to top it off, the BESRK clevis mounts have a 1" hole, the tow bar Q-D mounts have a 3/4" hole for the tow bar, so I couldn't mount the tow bar directly to the jeep for a number of reasons.

Sheesh.

After sitting there looking at it for a while, and tossing different ideas around, this is what I came up with to mount the tow bar quick-disconnect brackets to the jeep's clevis mounts. Teaser pic:

Made from 3/8" and 1/2" scrap, and welded for simple overkill strength, not for "Purdy". Pics of the finished product and the truck mount when the paint dries.

P.S..... I've now learned the limits of my little bitty oxy-ace cutting torch, an ancient Victor model 100.

1/2" flat stock is about it.
Unread 09-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #7
WSS

1972 CJ5 

For info only, ProtoFab has 3" long dom tubes/bushings in 1od x .75id. Many steel yards and industrial hardware places carry them. They can be used to sleeve the BESRK clevis hole down to .75 while towing, slide out to put the skackle back in.

http://www.protofab.com/graphics/Bushings%202011.pdf

Nice work on the brackets! Hurry up, lets see some more pics! LOL

Unread 09-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #8
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well, since you asked...

Couple coats of paint. Satin on the lift receiver, Hammered on the brackets just cuz I had a can from long ago and wanted to use it up.

Front and back of the brackets. Here you can see why I needed to drop the mount for the Q-D brackets down--- their mounting bolts would have interfered with the clevis mount.

How the bracket fits on the clevis mount. The box that surrounds the clevis mounts fits snug to the bumper, keeping the box from pivoting. This eliminates having two horizontal pivoting points inline, meaning only the tow bar now gives up and down rotation so the two pivots do not interact with each other and allow the bracket to turn into a "crumple zone" when braking. A simple safety chain keeps the lock-pin for the 1" clevis pin from getting lost.

I saw the 1" to 3/4" reducers, and considered using those, but figured it was just another small part to get lost on a trip and FUBAR getting back on the road. So for now, the 1" clevis bolt is overkill to the max, but what the heck? It's what I had to work with, and any Tractor Supply type store will have them across the nation.

This is how Quick-Disconnect bar attaches to the Q-D brackets. Because it is a fixed width, this is the reason I had to make the brackets not only drop the bolt holes, but move them inside the clevis width. You can also see why I needed the 1/2" spacer of the bracket --- to clear the receiver hitch I built into the front bumper. To remove or replace it, you just pull a lock-pin on each side on the bar, and lift it off the jeep. Takes ten seconds.

The tow bar mounted up. It's now dead level front to back, and the Z-bar hitch clears the tailgate when it folds down to open. The little upright bracket on the tow bar holds the swing arms in place when not in use, and then the tow bar swing arms fall together and rotate to the side for storage on the tow vehicle when not in use... just pull two other pins to remove the cross bar. The arms also slide in and out and rotate to allow easy hook-up, no matter if the towed vehicle is at an angle to the tow rig, then pull out and lock in place as you move ahead. So the tow bar itself allows for up-down and side-to-side movement on turns and uneven terrain, allowing for rotation in all three axis (hence it's name- All Terrain). It's a pretty slick set-up.

Picking up some magnetic tow lights today, and still have to add some extra safety chains for the jeep. All in all, I like it.
Unread 09-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I like it!

Just a quick question because i really don't know but have "told" in the past years...

Does some states have laws against tow bars?...i know when i lived in Delaware i was told i couldn't use a tow bar for my race car to go to the drag strip.

And on that victor 100...if you buy bigger tips for it,you can cut up to around 6 inches of steel with them...i have one here at home with several size tips and keep it in my tool bag for jobs for when they hand you a tore up POS torch and want top notch cuts..lol

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #10
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
And on that victor 100...if you buy bigger tips for it,you can cut up to around 6 inches of steel with them...i have one here at home with several size tips and keep it in my tool bag for jobs for when they hand you a tore up POS torch and want top notch cuts..lol
Awesome torch! I have one in my basement shop (personal, no employees allowed LOL). I have a few sizes and have cut 1" easily before. Can't remember the sizes.

WSS

Unread 09-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Awesome torch! I have one in my basement shop (personal, no employees allowed LOL). I have a few sizes and have cut 1" easily before. Can't remember the sizes.

WSS
For the heavy stuff for cutting out old plate and tubing and such i like the big barrel victors and smiths,....but the 100's are my favorite for the fact you can change the head out to a brazing or rosebud for pre-heat,,its a real versatile torch.

I've also had guys on jobs with a tore up torch in thier hand from them abusing it and asking"hey bro,can i borrow your torch?,mine is screwed up!"....Ummm..NO!....lol

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 09-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks! As for the Victor 100, I didn't know it was capable of thicker cuts. Mine needs to be rebuilt. AFAIK, my father bought it back in the late sixties/early seventies, the cutting O2 flow barely works, and I've heard that sending it back to Victor for refurbishment will bring it back "brand new" condition.

Adding a "send cutting torch back to manufacturer for rebuild" item to my to-do list of money to save up for. (was that proper grammar?)

Unread 09-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post
Thanks! As for the Victor 100, I didn't know it was capable of thicker cuts. Mine needs to be rebuilt. AFAIK, my father bought it back in the late sixties/early seventies, the cutting O2 flow barely works, and I've heard that sending it back to Victor for refurbishment will bring it back "brand new" condition.

Adding a "send cutting torch back to manufacturer for rebuild" item to my to-do list of money to save up for. (was that proper grammar?)

Have you ever cleaned the tip good with a tip cleaner?..you can get them for a few bucks at any weld supply store...

Sounds more like a clogged oxy passage in the tip itself...

And what size tip is it?....it should have a number on it..like .00 .000,1.2.3 etc

before you send it out to be rebuilt.make sure its not the tip first...if you have problems,i can probably dig up a good tip for it and clean it real well and ship you one for free along with a tip cleaner

Never forget 9/11

Unread 09-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
For the heavy stuff for cutting out old plate and tubing and such i like the big barrel victors and smiths,....but the 100's are my favorite for the fact you can change the head out to a brazing or rosebud for pre-heat,,its a real versatile torch.

I've also had guys on jobs with a tore up torch in thier hand from them abusing it and asking"hey bro,can i borrow your torch?,mine is screwed up!"....Ummm..NO!....lol
Ya, hands off! I love when they come back and tell you yours is broke too. I am at lunch right now and have already emptied four bottles of oxy through a Victor MT-300A. I love the reliability of those torches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlbook48 View Post

Drop it off at your local welding supply, they usually have local guys who will pick up from them once a week and drop it off the next week. I just had one rebuilt/inspected for $65. It did not need valves so it was a little cheaper than a total rebuild but not much. The older the better too, don't let that one go.

Unread 09-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #15
Burlbook48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ironworker... Wow, I really appreciate that offer. THIS is what makes this forum so great.

Thanks for the offer, but I wouldn't abuse your kindness. It's not the tip. I have a tip cleaner, and use it. Even bought a new tip thinking the old one might have still been the problem. The tip is fine, it's the flow from the cutting lever that is bad. The lever doesn't give a proper flow, and when released, the lever hardly returns back to it's "off" position. It's part of an old complete set, tips, gauges, hose, tanks... that sat in my dad's garage for about 40 years. It just needs to be rebuilt. You should have seen the look on the guy's face at the welding supply shop when I brought those old tanks in to be replaced. Can you say "out of hydro"?

WSS... done and done. Don't worry, it ain't leaving my family. I intend to hand this thing down to my grandkids. Probably be whichever one that shows enough honest interest in old classics to get my '56 Chevy. And since I don't have any grandkids yet, I'll have it for a while yet. LOL

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.