Torchmate 1 5X10 build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Torchmate 1 5X10 build

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-03-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
RedDirtFab
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Torchmate 1 5X10 build

Ok folks, long time reader here. Picked up tons of info from everyone here and it's time for me to contribute what I can.
Just ordered a torchmate 1 5X10 kit with tubing attachment. Shipper tracking says it be here tomorrow so it's time to get busy. I'll post pictures and info as I get this thing up and running. I'm going to modify the table and water table a bit to be able to do some things I want to be able to handle and I'll explain as I go on the modifications.

Brian

Unread 02-03-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Nice!

Did you get the ATHC with it? What plasma cutter are you gonna use?

Plans for loading/unloading steel?

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #3
RedDirtFab
1994 YJ Wrangler 

yep, got the AVHC, tubing attachment, Dual drive upgrade, and laser Crosshairs.
Got the HyperTherm Powermax 85 with machine torch.

As far as material handling, I take care of several pieces of heavy equipment here so i usually have plenty of equipment to move it around with. We are getting ready to build an overhead crane system on a trolly to move heavy equipment parts so i will have access to that too.
Unread 02-03-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
JohndKc
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Looking forward to your build. Don't worry we know you meant Hypertherm.
JohndKc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
RedDirtFab
1994 YJ Wrangler 

OK, The Fed Ex truck showed up the other day and had a pallet of boxes for me . Got everything unloaded and opened up to make sure nothing was damaged or missing, and again, I'm impressed by the effort that is put into the packaging of this kit. Everything was accounted for and undamaged so I'm a happy camper. Picked up the steel for the table and now i just have to get to work on getting it all cut and then about a mile of welding to do!

Here are some pictures of the parts as we laid them out.

impressive packaging!

Lost of work ahead but will be worth it in the end.

Brian
RedDirtFab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
Cts6867
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good.
Cts6867 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
RedDirtFab
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Construction begins!

OK, finally slowing down at work some, so I can spend some time on my table build. Got most of the pieces cut for the table frame. I really like the design of the Torchmate X series tables so that is the one I'm using for my base design.

The table will end up about 6' X 12' overall. I'm going with the two chamber water table setup so I can drain and fill the upper table as well as adjust the water level quickly and easily.

New blade on the bandsaw and ready to cut away.

Legs cut.

side support rails

Side walls

First side panel tacked together

Got tired. Will continue tomorrow. I want to see if i can get the frame together and ready for the gantry.

Stay tuned.

Brian
Unread 03-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Looking good sir, keep up the pics ! ....can't wait 'till ours get's here...

Unread 03-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
thetank
1998 XJ Cherokee 

cant wait to see it done! i want one someday..
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
RedDirtFab
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Progress!

Its beginning to look like an actual plasma table!
Got the perimeter assembled and top rail all put together.
I wanted to have the feet adjustable so I can level it. This table will be moving into a new shop in a few months so i wanted to be sure I could level it when it gets to its new home. I welded 7/8 nuts into the bottom feet and used a bolt so i can fine tune the adjustments.

I'm running out of space in the corner of the shop here. Its nice and big. I cant wait to get it running

Got the gantry built tonight and wanted to assemble the Height Control and torch all mocked up so i can find the lowest point so i can get the floor measurements.

Everything all went together perfectly. All the parts fit and the instructions are easy to follow and very well written.

Going for last load of steel tubing tomorrow morning so i can finish the lower chamber, fill it up with water and check my welds for any leaks, then frame up the upper floor and slat supports, and check it for leaks too. Hopefully i can get both chambers welded up this weekend and test the water fill and drain action.

Over all I'm very impressed still with Torchmate and the kit. the whole process so far has been great.

Stay tuned, more updates coming this weekend.

Brian
Unread 03-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #11
RedDirtFab
1994 YJ Wrangler 

OK, Lower chamber floor is in and sealed up. 52 feet of bead and only 3 pinholes so I'm happy!

Drain for lower chamber.

Filling up with water for leak test.

Found some green dye and wanted to try it out, only 2oz made it this green

Tomorrow I'm on to the upper floor and material support barring no leaks over night. Once that's done, I'll move on to the gear racks and finishing the gantry. then i get to blow it all apart and sand blast it for paint!!

Stay Tuned,

Brian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.