Tomb Raider's Shop - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Tomb Raider's Shop

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-06-2013, 11:25 AM   #16
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I hate being at the mercy of a vendor. I was suffering the same thing with a local laser cutter a few years ago. He was pretty good about turn-around time, but he also charged $300hr for cutting.

I took the hit and sold my buggy to pay for my plasma table.. best piece of equipment I ever purchased.. followed closely by the forklift. Tabs that used to cost me $2.00, now cost me $.20.

There's just so many benefits with owning a CNC Plasma Table... idea-to-prototype in minutes, production cutting rows and rows of parts, minimizing waste, no reason a plasma table can't pay itself off in 6 months or less. Some shops have even paid their table off on a single big job.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2013, 12:34 PM   #17
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

I'm in the beginning stages, but I like both the torchmate 4x4 and the burntables 4x4 table setup's. It seems there is some give and take with each. Torchmate 4x4 comes "complete" with a water table whereas the burntables does not. However the burntables unit comes with height control where the torchmate doesn't (without upgrade). They both run about the same cost around 7500-8000 shipped. Add a plasma and that's right around 10k for a complete setup. This is where I'm at so far...

Torchmate:

Burntables:

Unread 02-06-2013, 06:35 PM   #18
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

What about a TM1 or TM2?

I originally purchased a TM2 4'x4' Small Shop Machine with ATHC. While the 4x4 is a nice setup, I immediately saw the need for a 4x8 table so I could cut whole sheets at one time.
It really shines for bumper pieces that are longer than 48" long. It also works well when nesting large items (like beadlocks and winch plates for instance).

With the TM2, you can start with a 4x4 setup, and then later add the rest of the stuff to make it a 4x8.

I was even able to use my 4x8 table to make myself a 48" Pressbrake.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 02-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #19
MetalMountainGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That JK bumper with the single arm swingout carrier is awesome. I there any way that you could design one for a TJ that has that same swingout arm. I'm not a fan of the onese that are the standard triangular shape built on top of a horizontal bar.
MetalMountainGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #20
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

BESRK,

Yes I've looked at the TM 2's. It seems the "ready to assemble" versions start to get pretty expensive outside the "growth" series. At this point I'm still at the "discovery" phase. My plan is sometime next month to make a purchase...so I'm starting my digging now.

984BANGERTJ,

It's funny you mention that, the above posted TJ with the tube fenders is a buddy of mine and he asked if I would make one of those for his. He has a smitybilt one now and dislikes it (came on the jeep). Stay posted here as I'm sure I'll end up making one for him....after I get the plasma table ;-)
Unread 02-07-2013, 10:36 AM   #21
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Just got off the phone with torchmate. Sending me some info on the TM2 4x4 and 4x8. Price is at upper limts from the sound of it...but we will see. Gonna stop by the local shop to check out a hypertherm to run it....
Unread 02-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #22
MetalMountainGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you end up making one of those bumpers, let me know. I would be very interested in buying it off of you.
Unread 02-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #23
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 984bangerTJ View Post
If you end up making one of those bumpers, let me know. I would be very interested in buying it off of you.
I will certainly keep you posted sir.

Talked some more with Burntables today. Very knowledgeable guys. They did confirm that I could do an upgrade from a 4x4 to a 4x8 table when the time came to up size. Table comes complete and ready to assemble, including all computer hardware/software and ATHC provisions.

Still diggiing...
Unread 02-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #24
MetalMountainGoat
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Speaking of those tables, they are very cool. I work maintenance in a very large sheet metal fab shop. We have two of these machines. They both are made by Amada and use a laser to cut the metal. I could park my jeep inside of them. They are very cool and will cut anything from plywood to inch thick steel. The have huge benefit over waterjet type machines due to the fact that there is almost no mess and the cut parts will not even scratch your bare hand when pulled from the web.
Unread 02-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #25
webdog
DirtBound Offroad

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Have you thought about building your own table? I built my 4x6 for about $5,000 - 6,000 including a powermax 45.
webdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2013, 12:00 PM   #26
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdog View Post
Have you thought about building your own table? I built my 4x6 for about $5,000 - 6,000 including a powermax 45.

I did, for about 3 seconds..lol. I'll be honest in saying I don't want to go through the time and effort of sourcing parts/motors/yadda yadda yadda and not have any service, support and backing from a company in the end. I'll be the first to say I'm not knowledgeable enough to build it in a reasonable timeframe. Truly I want to buy it, set it up and get to making parts...and can make concessions to a bit higher price to do that.
Unread 02-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #27
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raider View Post
I did, for about 3 seconds..lol. I'll be honest in saying I don't want to go through the time and effort of sourcing parts/motors/yadda yadda yadda and not have any service, support and backing from a company in the end. I'll be the first to say I'm not knowledgeable enough to build it in a reasonable timeframe. Truly I want to buy it, set it up and get to making parts...and can make concessions to a bit higher price to do that.
I was the same way. I think I went from a pile of boxes/crates, to cutting parts in about 5-6 hours. Granted, I had to hold the instruction manual in one hand, and click the mouse with the other.. just to make a simple square with a hole in it..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 02-10-2013, 12:47 AM   #28
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

I think I'm sold on the burntables. Going to work on pulling the trigger on monday...more to come then...
Unread 02-10-2013, 08:00 AM   #29
monkers
2010 JK Wrangler 

Nice work Tomb Raider, nice shop as well. Keep postin pics of projects and stuff......
2010 Rescue Green 2 Door 6 Spd, 2.5" RK Max Travel, Fox 2.0 IFP Shocks, 37" Nitto Trail Grappler M/T, EVO Sleeves, Gussets, Mini Skids, Rock Stars, Poly Perf Long Travel Upper Shock Mounts, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Diff Covers, Grab Handles, Cobra 75WXSt, Stern Cibie/Osram Light Upgrade, Mopar Heated Seats, Trimmed Flares & Bumpers
monkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #30
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Delivery in 3 weeks....no more middle man

Ended up with 4x8 table with ATHC. Didn't get the water table, but will build that on my own.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.