TJ Wrangler trailer build . - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ Wrangler trailer build .

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #121
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50gt View Post
Looking good! You are way more motivated than I am, but I did touch mine tonight.. I moved it to mow.
Its getting close to being done and that is motivating me .
I hadnt considered that this thing is getting close to being one more thing to mow around .

Todays progress .

This is what 5 minutes of Kleen Strip aircraft stripper did . The yellow is all gone , tomorrow it will get cleaned then painted .

The front panel is tacked in place . Initially it was going to be removeable , but once it is LineX'd its not coming out so I went ahead and welded it in. Between seam sealing the front edge and LineX'ing the backside the front panel should be pretty weather resistant .

The tub is clean and ready for seam sealer . It took a lot of scrubbing to get all of the grinding dust out .

Lastly I started cutting out the trim for the old wheelwells . The plan is to cut and roll the angle around the radius to clean up the edges .

In addition to working on the trailer today I had both J trucks apart and I worked on them as the trailer was drying . It was hot as heck , but Kimbo kept the ice water rolling out to me .

Unread 07-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #122
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The trailer is seam sealed inside , and on the front filler panel .

The final trim is cut , unfortunately I ran out of angle .

I feel like the trailer is complete enough to go get it inspected tomorrow morning ... wish me luck
Unread 07-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #123
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Tonights progress .

1st full coat of paint is on . Tomorrow I will wet sand the entire trailer and put down the second coat . It will get much darker on the second and third coats if cures like the test section did .

More first coat pics .

Welded up the trim bracket . Tomorrow I need to go get some more angle to finish the trim and make a hinge mount up front .
Not sure if I will make it to the inspection station tomorrow morning after all . Theres still a lot of little stuff to do before I take it over , and I would rather put more time into labor than go over and fail .
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #124
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks awesome.
Unread 07-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #125
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldorado Customs View Post
Looks awesome.
Thanks , its nice to see it almost towable

Today there was more sanding , but that allowed me to shoot the second coat of paint on the trailer .

I used aircraft stripper and picks to clean the tailgate and there was no getting it 100% clean . It looked ok , but a quick phone call found a guy that was willing to sand blast it for $20 . This is what it looked like when I picked it up , there will be no more airplane stripper at this house !

The first coat of primer and paint are on , it needs a lot of wet sanding to slick up like the rest of the paint .

I thought blasting the hinges might make them bind up , but I figured what the heck they cant get worse. Surprisingly enough they pivot much smoother now and with a little oil they should be buttery smooth . The blasted surface takes primer and paint so nicely that I am motivated to get an even bigger blast cabinet so that I can blast larger items .

Close up of the second coat of paint . It is starting to shine a little more and its getting much darker . Tomorrow I will wet sand again , and I think the third coat of paint is going to be just about right ... or at least I hope so

Last paint picture for the evening . There is no way I could do paint and body for a living , it requires entirely too much patience
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:20 AM   #126
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Late night yesterday delayed my posting ... I was beat !

The paint looks good everywhere except the front panel , so I started putting everything back together . The flares were terribly faded so after I trimmed them to fit I used a heat gun to turn them black again .

You can see the difference in the flare in this picture . I was surprised at how well the heat gun trick worked . The process left a little blotchiness , but overall the flares look much better now than before . I still need to shoot another coat of paint on the tailgate , but I may leave that until I shoot car paint .

Definitely need another coat on the front panel .

Once its buffed I think a lot of the blotchiness will go away .

This is it for now , more this afternoon .
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #127
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yesterday I took the trailer out for its maiden run to see how it would tow on the road . When I first finished the tub I took it around the yard , but this was the first time I had it over 10 mph . I didnt know what to expect with it at speed , but it towed great. There was no hopping or wagging and best of all it was quiet .

You can see in this picture how much the trailer tub needs to be raised . Its not terrible and the 33's should make it sit about level with the LJ . Once the LJ gets 35's I think a spring over on the trailer will allow enough height to put 35's on the trailer with plenty of clearance .

Thats all the fabrication for now. I am off to work for the next six weeks , once I get back I will start working on the tonneau cover .
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:46 AM   #128
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for sharing ! Turned out awesome.
Unread 07-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #129
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldorado Customs View Post
Thanks for sharing ! Turned out awesome.
Thanks for the kind words . Its towable now, but still needs some work . Next up will be the steel tonneau , then Line-X and finally a pro paint job. Oh and I cant forget the 35s on matching wheels .
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #130
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Almost ready to go to the "real" paint shop .

Heres the trim piece welded up and ready to cover the rough edge of the old wheel well .

Trim piece in place .

Hard to see , but both trim pieces are in place .

This is where it gets tricky , this is a picture of the hinge mount . In this position I think its going to catch water and hold it .
I think that I am going to reverse it and have it face forward . This way with a little seam sealer it should seal up well and allow for a solid mounting point for the tonneau hinge .

Basically I will mount the angle opposite of this . More work tomorrow afternoon , its going to be close getting it ready for the trip .
Unread 08-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #131
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The tailgate latches are complete , all thats left is the aforementioned hinge mount for the tonneau . After some thinking and measuring I came up with what I think is a pretty simple solution for the latches .

A piece of barstock happened to be laying on the counter and it was the perfect size for the latch to close onto .

Heres the barstock in place .

A few bends in the vice made for a good stop / catch for the latch .

And a nice out of focus picture of the tailgate latched .
Unread 09-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #132
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Pretty darn nice fab work Greg, looks like it will be all dialed in for the next big trip.
You will have a ball dragging it up the Dusy. about 30 miles of continues offroad action
Unread 09-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #133
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Pretty darn nice fab work Greg, looks like it will be all dialed in for the next big trip.
You will have a ball dragging it up the Dusy. about 30 miles of continues offroad action
Thanks Art , it is going to make camping much easier as we cross the country as we wont have to be so compact . And with water on board and food we can stop wherever the notion hits us .

Whats this for and how does it relate to this thread ? See below ...

Heres the tub loaded up on the apparatus and ready to go to Hendrix's . The cribbing will keep the tub secure on the way home so it stays pretty .
Unread 09-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #134
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hendrix has gone buck wild on the tub ...
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:16 AM   #135
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post

Hendrix has gone buck wild on the tub ...
Awww, no way, no fair! That thing is going to look amazing when he's done with it!
green50gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.