TJ Wrangler trailer build . - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ Wrangler trailer build .

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #106
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50gt View Post
Well why I ask is this: I was wondering why you didn't run the wiring down that center tube? You could have it enter out the bottom from your conduit next to the receiever thingy, then exit out that rear crossmember behind the axle.. Just curious?
I thought about running the wire the way you described , but I ended up with it on the side for two reasons . One is I am not sure if the tongue is getting cut down or lengthened for optimal towing and two is ease of replacement . I think it will be easier to replace the wiring if needed as it is all in smooth conduit .

Yesterday I got the last of the parts I needed finish the trailer . Lots of fun to be had this week , just need to stay focused !

Unread 07-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #107
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Understood. While I didn't run conduit down the center(like I should have), I did route the wiring through there. We did end up cutting 15" out, we just pulled the wire back, made the cut, then pulled it back through.

Looks good! I am kind of at a stopping point on mine. I need to do the paperwork for a vin number and title.. I didn't save any reciepts and that appears to be a critical step in the process - OOPS.
green50gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 11:01 AM   #108
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Understood. While I didn't run conduit down the center(like I should have), I did route the wiring through there. We did end up cutting 15" out, we just pulled the wire back, made the cut, then pulled it back through.
Did you cut the harness or the box tubing ?

Quote:
Looks good! I am kind of at a stopping point on mine. I need to do the paperwork for a vin number and title.. I didn't save any reciepts and that appears to be a critical step in the process - OOPS.
I dont think I have any of the receipts either ? No one has mentioned them up to this point , so hopefully all I have left is the road worthiness inspection .
Unread 07-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #109
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Did you cut the harness or the box tubing ?
Sorry, that does read confusing. We pulled the wiring back far enough so it would not get cut, then cut 15" out of the tongue, then pulled the harness back through. The harness was a bit too short to begin with so it ended up the perfect length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I dont think I have any of the receipts either ? No one has mentioned them up to this point , so hopefully all I have left is the road worthiness inspection .
Not only the reciepts, but in Indiana's case, the tubs, I have to have their VIN numbers to prove they are not stolen, reciepts for the steel, reciept for the coupler, etc. Going to be a real pain I believe.
Unread 07-08-2013, 11:17 AM   #110
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sorry, that does read confusing. We pulled the wiring back far enough so it would not get cut, then cut 15" out of the tongue, then pulled the harness back through. The harness was a bit too short to begin with so it ended up the perfect length.
Ok that makes sense , and is a simple way to do it too .

Quote:
Not only the reciepts, but in Indiana's case, the tubs, I have to have their VIN numbers to prove they are not stolen, reciepts for the steel, reciept for the coupler, etc. Going to be a real pain I believe.
That is bad news for sure , I havent heard anything like that so far . I will update the thread as I bumble my way through licensing . For now its off of JF and back to welding .
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #111
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Made a little more progress today ...

The patch for the filler neck almost complete .

Tongue wiring is complete .

Trailer jack and saftey chains are welded up .

The drivers side is mostly complete now . Tomorrow I have to go install air lines for a friend , but come Wednesday I should be able to finish up the last of the body work on the trailer .

I also dropped off my measurements at the machine shop for the front panel , and I hope to pick it up Wednesday . I took a page from Clint Riveras build and I am using the last of my upper tub rail scraps to finish out the front with the panel from the machine shop
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #112
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Tonights progress .

The filler panel is in place and ready for the final bending and fitment .

Fitted and ready for welding . I am not kidding this patch tacked up perfectly and I took pictures ... but the bud light platinum bottles interfered with the upload . Well thats the story I am sticking with .

Skim coat is on and drying for the night . Tomorrow I have more sanding and primer to spray . I still need to finish welding the floor corners in , but they are currently halfway welded in . From here on out is all finish work , and if I dont make it Friday to get it inspected , I will take it to the State Highway Patrol early next week .
Unread 07-12-2013, 05:51 AM   #113
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I'd wheel it! I am not sure if I missed it, but are you going to put bigger rubbers on it?
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:20 AM   #114
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'd wheel it! I am not sure if I missed it, but are you going to put bigger rubbers on it?
I have 33x9.5s waiting to get mounted , heck I might go do that this afternoon after I finish sanding .
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:31 AM   #115
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Love the trailer, strong work. I didn't have that much time to devote so I aquired an M102 trailer. Again, well done sir.
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #116
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helldorado Customs View Post
Love the trailer, strong work. I didn't have that much time to devote so I aquired an M102 trailer. Again, well done sir.
Thanks for the kind words , and you are correct it has been a time killer . But it has been fun to make it , and while its not one of a kind it will be one of a few . I love the military trailers and I had a M416 , but I just had an itch to make this .
Unread 07-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #117
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The bodywork is finished , and its all primer gray . Still a lot of wet sanding to do before I spray any paint .

I had my local machine shop break a pan for me to use as the front filler panel . They made it to tall , but gave me a killer deal on it .
With a little angle iron and tack welds I was able to make a break and bend the pan to match the angle of the tub .

Heres the filler panel fitted and adjusted to the tub .

I want to bedline it , but not sure which one I am going to go with yet . Any suggestions ? I like Line X , but not sure if I want to spend that much money right now .

Thats all the trailer progress for the day . And I still need to strip the tailgate ... forgot about that .
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:34 PM   #118
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I thought I was done sanding .

Thankfully the drivers side of the trailer is about done ! The passenger side doesnt need as much attention , so maybe the sanding will end this week ? The trailer is ready to be inspected , but I am going to wait until the bodywork and paint are done later this week.
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:58 PM   #119
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

1st coat is on , its dull from wet sanding .

Another angle of the sorta shiny faded paint as Billy (my son) calls it .

Tomorrow is going to be a big shocker ... more sanding ! And some paint too , then some wet sanding followed by paint . Worst yet is I still have to strip the CJ tailgate and it has three layers of sandpaper eating badness built up . I tried 3M safer stripper and it did nothing to the finish other than clump up in fear . Next up is Kleen Strip airplane stripper which has lots of stern warnings printed on the package . The warnings coupled with danger! on the can means it has to be good right ? The plan is to apply the aircraft stripper outside over top of an old box to catch the toxic runoff and avoid future super fund status .
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:45 PM   #120
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good! You are way more motivated than I am, but I did touch mine tonight.. I moved it to mow.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.