TJ Wrangler trailer build . - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ Wrangler trailer build .

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings BlastIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #46
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molonlabemike View Post
Good stuff! This threads making me want to finish mine up. Just ordered my suspension and axle today. Next is figuring out its hight lol I'll be in the same number crunching boat!

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
If you need any measurements let me know and I can pull them for you . What axle and springs did you end up ordering ?

Unread 12-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #47
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley

If you need any measurements let me know and I can pull them for you . What axle and springs did you end up ordering ?
Went with axle I found online, ordered 3500 lbs at 59" Hub face to hub face. Axles will also come with brake brackets should I end up putting them on down the road. For springs I found some 26" springs along with a full ubolt kit as well.

Last night I finally got the tailgate mocked up but being I have zero gas it will have to wait. Next up is mounting the axle and figuring out my tung length. What length did you go with?

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #48
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Went with axle I found online, ordered 3500 lbs at 59" Hub face to hub face. Axles will also come with brake brackets should I end up putting them on down the road. For springs I found some 26" springs along with a full ubolt kit as well.

Last night I finally got the tailgate mocked up but being I have zero gas it will have to wait. Next up is mounting the axle and figuring out my tung length. What length did you go with?

As of now my tongue is uncut . Once I hook it up to the LJ I should be able to figure out length a little better . Sounds like you got about the perfect axle . Hopefully your hubs will fit through your rims like mine did , it was a stroke of luck that it worked out that way .

All welded up with the four additional body mounts added in . I still have to move the rear spring mount , so it is tacked in until I figure out what I am doing .

Mostly painted ! It got cold quick , so no touch ups tonight . Tomorrow is supposed to be nice , hopefully I can finish the paint and get the tongue bolted in .
Unread 12-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #49
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wow G that's looking smooth! I really love the look of the tub trailers. Planning on adding a RTT?

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #50
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow G that's looking smooth! I really love the look of the tub trailers. Planning on adding a RTT?

Thanks , it will be nice to mount the tub tomorrow . Once the tub is mounted the bodywork can finally begin . Thats going to take a while to complete as body work isnt my strong point .

I have looked at roof top tents , and I like them a lot but the price is hard to digest ! The tonneau that I am going to build will carry the weight of a RTT no problem , so its something I may add at a later date .
Unread 12-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #51
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Good to see some more Jeep trailers out there. Here's My CJ5 version (im adding some timber slats to the sides and front)

VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #52
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
Good to see some more Jeep trailers out there. Here's My CJ5 version (im adding some timber slats to the sides and front)

Thats clean looking , did you shoot the paint ?
Unread 12-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #53
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

My Scouts built most of it under my watchful eye.
Unread 12-10-2012, 07:49 PM   #54
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My Scouts built most of it under my watchful eye.
That is great that you work with the kids teaching them how to fabricate . My 8 year old works with me as much as I will let her , and my 5 year old is starting to hang out in the garage with me .

Back to the topic . To adjust the ride height I flipped the axle to the top of the springs . The ride height is closer now , but I think I may have to make longer shackles to get it perfect . The other thing the axle needs is u bolt skid plates now that they hang down and will want to grab everything . No worries , I have the steel in stock to make them .

Now that its upside down I can fully weld the rear spring hanger . Then I will paint the bottom tomorrow night .

Also bored the hole to bolt the tongue in , what a pain in the butt ! I stepped up 4 sizes of bits and the 5/8 at the end was hard to get through the 1" of combined steel .
Unread 12-11-2012, 02:00 AM   #55
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Why not undersling the axle. Less chance of anything getting caught up on the plate and you gain around 2" in height.
Unread 12-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #56
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Why not undersling the axle. Less chance of anything getting caught up on the plate and you gain around 2" in height.
I started out with it sprung over , but it was just too tall . As it sat before it would clear 37s . Now it will be more in line with my 33s . I prefer the spring over, and I may go back to it at a later date if I decide to cut the frame and raise the rear mount .
Unread 12-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #57
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

After reading all this it got me thinking, and I'm probably being stupid, but would it be possible to sort of lift it? I mean my logic says it has leaf springs so you should be able to right? I don't know. I think it would look badass if the trailer had wheels and tires to match the jeep. Just my thinking though.
tyvanwie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2012, 03:54 PM   #58
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

I used CJ Springs and the rear section of the chassis so it looks stock (i even have the shock mounts but no shock in there atm)
Unread 12-12-2012, 07:40 PM   #59
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
After reading all this it got me thinking, and I'm probably being stupid, but would it be possible to sort of lift it? I mean my logic says it has leaf springs so you should be able to right? I don't know. I think it would look badass if the trailer had wheels and tires to match the jeep. Just my thinking though.
When the axle was sprung over it cleared 37s , with it now sprung under I think it will be almost perfect for 33s . The current tires are just temporary to roll it around on .My end goal is to make the trailer match my LJ in height and color .
Quote:
I used CJ Springs and the rear section of the chassis so it looks stock (i even have the shock mounts but no shock in there atm)
The springs I am using are from the rear of a CJ .They were cheap (free) and are easy to replace . I skipped using the rear frame section as it limited what I could do . My other goal of building a frame is that I am hoping it will be a little lighter .
Unread 12-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #60
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The flu has been kicking my butt for the last two weeks , but I am back among the living again ! One more hole to drill and I will test tow the frame tomorrow .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.