TJ Wrangler trailer build . - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ Wrangler trailer build .

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 12-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #31
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
Yesterday ended on a good note , and today is going to be better . Theres your positive thinking for the day . The trailer shop set the toe with a jig that held the spindles in place while they welded up the axle tube .

Me too , I am off now on yet another parts run to get this thing on its wheels .
Gotcha, wonder if I need to go that route as well? I think I'll be bumping my planned 2k axle for a 3k as I see a lot of people using them even for the 1500 pounds im limiting mine at. Where did you end up ordering yours from?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #32
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Woo Hooo ! The trailer is on tires and rollable !!! I had to make hangers front and rear and two spring plates , but it is on tires ! Pictures soon .
Unread 12-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #33
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Woo Hooo ! The trailer is on tires and rollable !!! I had to make hangers front and rear and two spring plates , but it is on tires ! Pictures soon .
Worthless without photos!!!!!!!

Molon Labe
Unread 12-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #34
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molonlabemike View Post
Gotcha, wonder if I need to go that route as well? I think I'll be bumping my planned 2k axle for a 3k as I see a lot of people using them even for the 1500 pounds im limiting mine at. Where did you end up ordering yours from?

Not sure how I missed this ? Anyways the reason I went with a 3K is the overhang and bearing size . My frame center to center is 29" but my axle is 58.5" wms to wms . With that much leverage the shop suggested I use a 3 K axle . The other bonus is the larger bearings and that the spindle fits my stock Jeep wheels with no modifications .

I had a local place make my axle as shipping kills most deals . Their name is Owensby Enterprises and they are located in Greensboro NC . They were able to make exactly what I wanted for just a little more than it would have cost me from Northern or Tractor Supply .
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #35
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not sure how I missed this ? Anyways the reason I went with a 3K is the overhang and bearing size . My frame center to center is 29" but my axle is 58.5" wms to wms . With that much leverage the shop suggested I use a 3 K axle . The other bonus is the larger bearings and that the spindle fits my stock Jeep wheels with no modifications .

I had a local place make my axle as shipping kills most deals . Their name is Owensby Enterprises and they are located in Greensboro NC . They were able to make exactly what I wanted for just a little more than it would have cost me from Northern or Tractor Supply .
Thanks G, I was thinking along the same lines as my goal is to be rolling 35s on my trailer. I found some places online that will sell an entire kit for around $150 or so shipped. Nevertheless, where those damn photos haha

Molon Labe
Unread 12-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #36
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Here ya go Mike .

Mike aka gspups hitch is almost done .

I couldnt find a spring hanger that fit right , so I made my own .

My son Billy is very excited that the trailer is sitting on its tires , because now he has some where to play .
I am excited its on its tires as that means its closer to being complete . I think I am somewhere near the 50% mark now
and I am up to $500 or so . Next up is to remove the body and finish welding the top of the frame .
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #37
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Wow G that's looking great! How's it sit in comparison to the Jeep?

Molon Labe
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #38
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow G that's looking great! How's it sit in comparison to the Jeep?

I havent backed the Jeep up to it yet . Hopefully on Friday I can get it towable . If I get lucky it wont be to tall ...
Unread 12-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #39
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I havent backed the Jeep up to it yet . Hopefully on Friday I can get it towable . If I get lucky it wont be to tall ...
Gotcha, looks a little tall but with some weight I think you will right on the money

Molon Labe
Unread 12-06-2012, 06:08 AM   #40
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Gotcha, looks a little tall but with some weight I think you will right on the money

Still need to find a set of 33s to go under it which will make it higher but will also fill the wheel wells . I can lower the rear a bit , but the measurements I took makes it look like its going to work .
Unread 12-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #41
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Still need to find a set of 33s to go under it which will make it higher but will also fill the wheel wells . I can lower the rear a bit , but the measurements I took makes it look like its going to work .
Sweet! Can't wait to see it

Molon Labe
Unread 12-06-2012, 02:47 PM   #42
zboss86
2001 TJ Wrangler 

What size tubing did you make the frame out of?
zboss86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #43
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Sweet! Can't wait to see it

Me too , heck I am glad its rollable .

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss86 View Post
What size tubing did you make the frame out of?
I used 2"x2" 1/4" wall tubing for the frame . The tongue is receiver tube and the front and back are 3"x3" angle iron .
Unread 12-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #44
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

After comparing measurements the trailer is 2" to high to match up to my LJ . Relatively speaking its going to be an easy fix as I am going to flip the rear spring mounts to the top of the 2" thick trailer frame . This should put me within a 1/4" of my LJ . Tomorrow should see the frame fully welded , and the tongue completed .
Unread 12-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #45
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
After comparing measurements the trailer is 2" to high to match up to my LJ . Relatively speaking its going to be an easy fix as I am going to flip the rear spring mounts to the top of the 2" thick trailer frame . This should put me within a 1/4" of my LJ . Tomorrow should see the frame fully welded , and the tongue completed .
Good stuff! This threads making me want to finish mine up. Just ordered my suspension and axle today. Next is figuring out its hight lol I'll be in the same number crunching boat!

Molon Labe

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.