TJ Wrangler trailer build . - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ Wrangler trailer build .

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 11-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #16
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOCHEEPGAS View Post
Wow, $150.00! Cant touch a tub to cut up around these parts for less than 5 bills, that makes it 1K for two of them, which almost make the Aqualu's worth the money.
I got lucky , one was cheap and I was able to trade for the other . For $1000 I would have gotten a Dinoot .

Got the tongue cut in and welded up . Also made the four other body mount supports .

Square and ready for welding .

Welded .

Frame is welded everywhere except the top . I will weld that when I pull the tub . The four center body mounts are cut and ready for top plates , hopefully I can finish welding them in tomorrow . I am picking up the axle on Saturday , hope to have it on wheels soon .

Unread 11-30-2012, 02:26 PM   #17
LJWrangler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looking good cant wait to see it on wheels!!
SILVER JEEP CLUB #71

My Build [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-06-lj-build-1449774/[/url]
LJWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #18
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJWrangler View Post
Looking good cant wait to see it on wheels!!
Me too , its getting closer .

I have good news and bad news . The good news is that after digging through the parts bins I was able to find most of the small parts I need to finish putting the trailer together .The bad news is that I should have listened to gspup and gotten a new axle. My old school solid bar steel drop axle isnt going to work . If it is flipped up its too tall and has too much camber , if its flipped down its too short and doesnt have enough camber .

I will go get a gspup appoved reliable axle tomorrow . By Monday it should be rolling ! Next up is to start collecting parts for the 3 axis jscherb hitch . Once thats completed it will be time for a test tow around the yard .
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #19
moemuledeer
1956 CJ6 

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

Jscherb posted this link on the Bolt together fiberglassJeep tub kit page 144
BTW for anyone interested in building their own under-$50 3-axis coupler as I've done in this thread, I've condensed the plans and steps into one hopefully easy-to-follow set of instructions at Scott's new Tventuring trailer forum:

http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/t...-post-365.html

I'm not sure if you"ll have to register there to see it all:

Last edited by moemuledeer; 12-02-2012 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: More info
moemuledeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #20
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moemuledeer View Post
This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

Jscherb posted this link on the Bolt together fiberglassJeep tub kit page 144
BTW for anyone interested in building their own under-$50 3-axis coupler as I've done in this thread, I've condensed the plans and steps into one hopefully easy-to-follow set of instructions at Scott's new Tventuring trailer forum:

http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/t...-post-365.html

I'm not sure if you"ll have to register there to see it all:

Same plan I am going to use . I am heading over to TSC to start collecting parts this afternoon .
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #21
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post

Same plan I am going to use . I am heading over to TSC to start collecting parts this afternoon .
Please do a write up on this

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #22
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molonlabemike View Post
Please do a write up on this
Sometime this week ok ?
Unread 12-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #23
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Occams Razor came to mind today as I looked at the hitch designs I decided to make a gspup style hitch as I love the simplicity and function of it . Once I made that decision all that was left was to go get some steel. I managed to get a few holes drilled , but that was about it for the afternoon.

This is the gspup hitch . And below is the start to my version of it .

More hitch work tomorrow , and an axle in the afternoon . Hopefully it will be a good productive day .
Unread 12-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #24
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looking good bud, can't wait for updates. I'm out of Mig Gas so I'm out till Friday then more parts will be needed! What color are you going to paint the trailer?

Also, what coating are you going to put on the frame work?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

Molon Labe
Unread 12-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #25
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What kind of leafs are you using btw? Trying to figure out of I am going to r k some 26" springs or head to the junk yard and pull some springs.

Molon Labe
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:25 PM   #26
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Looking good bud, can't wait for updates. I'm out of Mig Gas so I'm out till Friday then more parts will be needed!
Murphys law , Mig gas always runs out at the most inopportune moment .
Quote:
What color are you going to paint the trailer?
Also, what coating are you going to put on the frame work?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
The trailer tub is going to get painted the same color as my jeep which is dark green . The tonneau cover will be made of metal and I think I will paint it tan . The frame is getting painted with black hammerite , its a durable and forgiving finish .

Quote:
What kind of leafs are you using btw? Trying to figure out of I am going to r k some 26" springs or head to the junk yard and pull some springs.
I decided on CJ rear leaves with three leaves removed for a couple of reasons . First off they had a nice arch and good heavy bushings on each end . Second they are easy for me to come by for free , which I like a lot . And lastly I had most of the hardware here for them from my CJ days .
Unread 12-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #27
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Today was a rough day in the shop . First off my porta band threw a tire , then my drop band saw broke a blade and finally the vertical bandsaw threw the blade . And just to add insult to injury I had to put an oil sending switch into my wifes WJ for the second time as the first one didnt send a signal.

Once the WJ was taken care of I headed to Machine and Welding to get blades and parts . From there it was off to pick up the trailer axle and then home . Enough talking heres a few pictures .

No camber and a little bit of toe in should make for a nice towing trailer . It is a 3000 lb axle and it is 58.5" wide . The center pins are 29" apart . The u-bolt spring plates I have are to narrow , or I would have bolted the axle in tonight . Tomorrow I will make two plates and bolt the axle in .

The gspup hitch fabrication is under way . I still need to get a few more bolts , and do a little welding but its close .
Unread 12-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #28
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Today was a rough day in the shop . First off my porta band threw a tire , then my drop band saw broke a blade and finally the vertical bandsaw threw the blade . And just to add insult to injury I had to put an oil sending switch into my wifes WJ for the second time as the first one didnt send a signal.

Once the WJ was taken care of I headed to Machine and Welding to get blades and parts . From there it was off to pick up the trailer axle and then home . Enough talking heres a few pictures .

No camber and a little bit of toe in should make for a nice towing trailer . It is a 3000 lb axle and it is 58.5" wide . The center pins are 29" apart . The u-bolt spring plates I have are to narrow , or I would have bolted the axle in tonight . Tomorrow I will make two plates and bolt the axle in .

The gspup hitch fabrication is under way . I still need to get a few more bolts , and do a little welding but its close .
We have all had those days buddy, get them back up and running and keep it rocking. How are you planning on setting the toe on the axle?

Molon Labe
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #29
Lug
2011 MK Compass 

Looking good. Can't wait to see the end result.
Unread 12-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #30
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
We have all had those days buddy, get them back up and running and keep it rocking. How are you planning on setting the toe on the axle?
Yesterday ended on a good note , and today is going to be better . Theres your positive thinking for the day . The trailer shop set the toe with a jig that held the spindles in place while they welded up the axle tube .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
Looking good. Can't wait to see the end result.
Me too , I am off now on yet another parts run to get this thing on its wheels .

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.