TJ Wrangler trailer build . - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ Wrangler trailer build .

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 05-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #226
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Can't take credit for the hitch design, here's how he (jscherb) did it. There's a bushing in the collar, no bearings. Read through his thread, it's good. http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-65.html

Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 06:02 PM   #227
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
Can't take credit for the hitch design, here's how he (jscherb) did it. There's a bushing in the collar, no bearings. Read through his thread, it's good. http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-65.html
I had seen that once before , but its a good read to refresh my thoughts . Thanks for the link .
Unread 06-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #228
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am thinking about using a pair of these to latch the tonneau down with a hidden wire to pull and release the catches . Any opinions or other ideas ?

http://www.autoloc.com/

They have some neat stuff , but the electric stuff scares me off a bit as I dont want to get locked out .
Unread 06-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #229
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I cleaned up another set of leaf springs to add to the pack yesterday and installed them tonight . The trailer seems less bouncy , but a road test will be the best way to see .

To help combat the bouncing I bent up a set of shock hoops and I ordered a set of CJ front shocks .

For some reason I got more spring back on the second one though it all came from the same stick ?

And I machined a flat spot on the bump stops to make it easier to weld them to the frame .
Unread 08-11-2014, 06:03 PM   #230
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I got the shock hoops fitted and ready to weld . I would have installed them , but I couldnt find my box of tabs to make upper shock mounts .
Unread 08-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #231
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I needed some more parts . Luckily I have Barnes 4WD just a few hours away and they have what I need in stock with cheap shipping . The parts are ordered to finish the shock install ...

With any luck I will have shocks , and bump stops installed over the weekend.
Unread 08-17-2014, 07:20 AM   #232
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

This weekends Jeeping : I tacked up the shock hoop on the trailer to ensure that everything cleared the tire. Once I knew it fit I removed the tire and welded everything up . For the record upside down welding is teh debil!

If I get lucky I might get the other side done today.

Worked on the hitch some too.

I would have assembled it , but I cant find the threaded insert I turned to tie the two halves together .
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #233
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got the basket mounted tonight by drilling a few holes and lightly modifying a set of yakima clips .
The other shock hoop will get finished up next weekend , and then it will be off to a road test .
Unread 08-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #234
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Long day in the shop yesterday , but I got both shock hoops and the bump stops installed .

I ended up dialing the bumpstops all the way up to get the correct compression , but they work beautifully and will keep the tires out of the fenders .

The tongue jack on the trailer has always been a little short and it was aggravating as heck having to prop it on something to get it level . Fortunately a stock Jeep Wrangler windshield to roll bar extension is the perfect o.d. to fit in the jack .

This shows how much I need to add to get to level .

Custom roll bar extension piece.

All welded up with super custom black paint .

I also started working on the tongue box mounts , and if I get lucky I will get it mounted up this afternoon .
Unread 08-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #235
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

In between rain showers Kimbo and I snuck out for some trailer testing . I wasnt sure how it would handle with all the changes , but I was relieved to see that the trailer is rock solid! We went through tight curves , over bumps , and high speeds with 0 issues . Now that the handling is dialed in , its time to start outfitting the trailer for camping trips .

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.