TJ Wrangler trailer build . - Page 16 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ Wrangler trailer build .

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-01-2014, 07:40 PM   #226
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Can't take credit for the hitch design, here's how he (jscherb) did it. There's a bushing in the collar, no bearings. Read through his thread, it's good. http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-65.html

Unread 05-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #227
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
Can't take credit for the hitch design, here's how he (jscherb) did it. There's a bushing in the collar, no bearings. Read through his thread, it's good. http://tventuring.com/trailerforum/thread-65.html
I had seen that once before , but its a good read to refresh my thoughts . Thanks for the link .
Unread 06-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #228
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am thinking about using a pair of these to latch the tonneau down with a hidden wire to pull and release the catches . Any opinions or other ideas ?

http://www.autoloc.com/

They have some neat stuff , but the electric stuff scares me off a bit as I dont want to get locked out .
Unread 06-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #229
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I cleaned up another set of leaf springs to add to the pack yesterday and installed them tonight . The trailer seems less bouncy , but a road test will be the best way to see .

To help combat the bouncing I bent up a set of shock hoops and I ordered a set of CJ front shocks .

For some reason I got more spring back on the second one though it all came from the same stick ?

And I machined a flat spot on the bump stops to make it easier to weld them to the frame .
Unread 08-11-2014, 07:03 PM   #230
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I got the shock hoops fitted and ready to weld . I would have installed them , but I couldnt find my box of tabs to make upper shock mounts .
Unread 08-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #231
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I needed some more parts . Luckily I have Barnes 4WD just a few hours away and they have what I need in stock with cheap shipping . The parts are ordered to finish the shock install ...

With any luck I will have shocks , and bump stops installed over the weekend.
Unread 08-17-2014, 08:20 AM   #232
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

This weekends Jeeping : I tacked up the shock hoop on the trailer to ensure that everything cleared the tire. Once I knew it fit I removed the tire and welded everything up . For the record upside down welding is teh debil!

If I get lucky I might get the other side done today.

Worked on the hitch some too.

I would have assembled it , but I cant find the threaded insert I turned to tie the two halves together .
Unread 08-17-2014, 09:19 PM   #233
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Got the basket mounted tonight by drilling a few holes and lightly modifying a set of yakima clips .
The other shock hoop will get finished up next weekend , and then it will be off to a road test .
Unread 08-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #234
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Long day in the shop yesterday , but I got both shock hoops and the bump stops installed .

I ended up dialing the bumpstops all the way up to get the correct compression , but they work beautifully and will keep the tires out of the fenders .

The tongue jack on the trailer has always been a little short and it was aggravating as heck having to prop it on something to get it level . Fortunately a stock Jeep Wrangler windshield to roll bar extension is the perfect o.d. to fit in the jack .

This shows how much I need to add to get to level .

Custom roll bar extension piece.

All welded up with super custom black paint .

I also started working on the tongue box mounts , and if I get lucky I will get it mounted up this afternoon .
Unread 08-24-2014, 08:35 PM   #235
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

In between rain showers Kimbo and I snuck out for some trailer testing . I wasnt sure how it would handle with all the changes , but I was relieved to see that the trailer is rock solid! We went through tight curves , over bumps , and high speeds with 0 issues . Now that the handling is dialed in , its time to start outfitting the trailer for camping trips .

Unread 11-09-2014, 08:13 PM   #236
G Beasley
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

One thing I have regretted on my build is not adding a parking brake when I built it. I had been kicking around the idea of using mountain bike rotors and calipers , then after some further thought motorcycle brakes made a lot more sense. Thankfully I had more time to think it over and I found the brakes below that will bolt onto my axle and they have a manual e brake. The plan is to use TJ e brake cables and the bracket to tie the two cables together. That leaves the e brake handle to figure out. I want something that I can lock in the open position for some security when I leave the trailer at camp. I am still working on that part of the design , but I hope inspiration will strike as I wander around the junkyard.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.