TJ Wrangler trailer build . - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ Wrangler trailer build .

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 04-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #211
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
The 3 M clear is on the list for Monday when I visit my local sound shop / neat stuff supplier . I also ordered the basket , it went down in price while I was gone to $93 !
Awesome, just didn't want you to get and sand blasting on the front of that super duper trailer.

Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #212
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Awesome, just didn't want you to get and sand blasting on the front of that super duper trailer.
I am taking good care of your paint , though it is dirty as heck right now . Once it warms up I will wash and wax it .
Unread 04-20-2014, 06:12 PM   #213
NashvilleTJ

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Top looks great, Greg. Nice skill with the grinder - I always wind up gouging when I try to do finish work like that.

Jeff
NashvilleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-20-2014, 07:41 PM   #214
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Top looks great, Greg. Nice skill with the grinder - I always wind up gouging when I try to do finish work like that.

Jeff
Thanks , I think it comes from all the years of sanding boats for my dad . We weren't allowed to mess up many while we were learning . So my brother and I both have a soft touch with sanders/grinders .
Unread 04-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #215
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Still working on collecting parts for the new hitch assembly but I did have a few things show up today . I ordered a Highland basket from Amazon for $93 and I wasnt sure what to expect . I am happy to report that it went together easily and seems to be well made . I dont know that I would load it with the rated weight of 150 lbs , but it should carry all the beach stuff for the kids with no problem.

The three sections all laid out . It was extremely well packaged , with no visible damage anywhere .

The back half slid in perfectly as did the front . Then self tapping screws hold it together .

It comes with nice heavy hardware to attach it to your vehicle or trailer .

These rubber sleeves roll over the joints to help waterproof the rack . I suppose they work , but I will most likely take it back apart and weld up the joints .

All assembled .

I test fit it on Kimbo's WJ .

Here it is from the back with some custom wood mounting blocks .

And these are the locks and where they are going to go on the vertical flange .

Stickered up fairing and the beer of the day . I dont care for most IPA's , but I like this one a lot .

From the rear with the cargo net in place .I am going to get rid of the yellow plastic clips and replace them with black carabiners .

And we had John aka ECoast over and smoked / BBQ's burgers and red snap hot dogs . It was a good end to a great day .
Unread 04-25-2014, 10:57 AM   #216
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I picked up a HF tongue box today .

It fits great , but the cooler I got is a 1/2" too tall to clear the tonneau. Back to the drawing board on that one .
I've had mine a for a couple of years now and love it. Perfect size and fits a good bit of stuff like tools, extra oil, tire kit, etc.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #217
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It was an odd day with the weather and lack of productivity but I found a smoking deal on a Yakima rack for the trailer! It was a little too tall in the stock setup , but is perfect with the towers removed . I do plan on narrowing the bars a little before its fully installed .
Unread 04-28-2014, 11:16 PM   #218
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Tonight I got to work on the tonneau . First up was to measure 5 times and then drill the holes . I was nervous about drilling the tonneau and thats why I kept measuring . I am by no means a perfectionist , but all four holes squared up within 1/64th . This trailer is going to end up being the most precise thing I have ever built.

" />
Once the holes were drilled I ran the bolt through the angle support and into the yakima rack mounts. This served two purposes . One was to strengthen the top and the second purpose is to provide a mount for the lifting strut .

Once everything was mounted to the tonneau I made two lower mounting brackets for the struts .

And then it was time for the voodoo math magic to get the extended length and the angles to all work together . The good news is that I got the max height with good working angles . The bad news is that the struts I picked are rated at 150lbs and one arm attached seems perfect . When both arms are attached it wont stay shut . So tommorrow I am going to call AVM and see what strut has the same lenght with less lifting force .

With just the one strut installed it feels just about perfect and allows for plenty of room to get in and out of the trailer .

And heres the catapault/tonneau with both struts . It is nice to be able to get rid of the stick !
Unread 04-29-2014, 09:21 PM   #219
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

No luck on the struts today , still hunting for a pair that are 14" compressed and 21"extended with 40-50lbs of lifting force .

I did get to Tractor supply for some hitch supplies after the strut debacle today. I picked up a 1" bolt , nut , collar and centering ball . Then they got chucked !

The centering collar and bolt turned down and ready to insert into the tubing . The collar fits inside of the 1.75 tubing perfectly , though I did turn the bolt down a little bit more to make sure it wouldnt bind . Once everything is in place I will weld the collar in on the end and through plug welds .

This spacer will be replaced with another centering ball .

And this shows what the end result of hitch 2.0 will look like .
Unread 04-29-2014, 09:39 PM   #220
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

This MB I am working on at work as a pair of dual stage struts on the hood. You can open the hood a little or straight up.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #221
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
This MB I am working on at work as a pair of dual stage struts on the hood. You can open the hood a little or straight up.
Year and model ? What type ends do they have ?
Unread 04-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #222
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Made some more progress on the hitch , I think all I have left to order is a threaded insert and then I can weld it all up .

I wanted to use a bronze washer between the two halves , but it was impossible to find locally . The local machine shop sold me a block of self lubricating dense plastic that may be a remnant from chernobyl . I am not kidding this stuff is almost impossible to cut , but with slow speeds I was able to make a washer .

I used a 1.75"hole saw to make the outer cut , and then a 1" hole saw to make the inner cut . Then I flipped it on its side and made a vertical cut with the band saw. Once that was done the washer fell out .
It looks rough , but smoothed out nicely with a little sanding .

When I get back from New Jersey I will finish this and the tonneau up and move on to outfitting the trailer for trips .
Unread 04-30-2014, 09:31 PM   #223
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNHx0dhZy4o

The new struts work great , and should still lift a couple of bikes up no problem . I am going to add an X brace underneath to stiffen the tonneau up a little , but its so nice having the trailer almost ready to go .
Unread 04-30-2014, 10:09 PM   #224
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a picture of my 3-Axis hitch. Fun project.

trailer build. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/a...build-1558519/
image-3193333080.jpg

image-4080174824.jpg

Unread 05-01-2014, 04:34 AM   #225
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
Here's a picture of my 3-Axis hitch. Fun project.

trailer build. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/a...build-1558519/
Thats similar to what I am building . I will look through your thread to see where you got the bearings for the receiver hitch mount . How does it tow ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.