TJ Wrangler trailer build . - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ Wrangler trailer build .

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 04-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #211
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley
The 3 M clear is on the list for Monday when I visit my local sound shop / neat stuff supplier . I also ordered the basket , it went down in price while I was gone to $93 !
Awesome, just didn't want you to get and sand blasting on the front of that super duper trailer.

Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #212
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
Awesome, just didn't want you to get and sand blasting on the front of that super duper trailer.
I am taking good care of your paint , though it is dirty as heck right now . Once it warms up I will wash and wax it .
Unread 04-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #213
NashvilleTJ
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Top looks great, Greg. Nice skill with the grinder - I always wind up gouging when I try to do finish work like that.

Jeff
NashvilleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2014, 06:41 PM   #214
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleTJ View Post
Top looks great, Greg. Nice skill with the grinder - I always wind up gouging when I try to do finish work like that.

Jeff
Thanks , I think it comes from all the years of sanding boats for my dad . We weren't allowed to mess up many while we were learning . So my brother and I both have a soft touch with sanders/grinders .
Unread 04-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #215
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Still working on collecting parts for the new hitch assembly but I did have a few things show up today . I ordered a Highland basket from Amazon for $93 and I wasnt sure what to expect . I am happy to report that it went together easily and seems to be well made . I dont know that I would load it with the rated weight of 150 lbs , but it should carry all the beach stuff for the kids with no problem.

The three sections all laid out . It was extremely well packaged , with no visible damage anywhere .

The back half slid in perfectly as did the front . Then self tapping screws hold it together .

It comes with nice heavy hardware to attach it to your vehicle or trailer .

These rubber sleeves roll over the joints to help waterproof the rack . I suppose they work , but I will most likely take it back apart and weld up the joints .

All assembled .

I test fit it on Kimbo's WJ .

Here it is from the back with some custom wood mounting blocks .

And these are the locks and where they are going to go on the vertical flange .

Stickered up fairing and the beer of the day . I dont care for most IPA's , but I like this one a lot .

From the rear with the cargo net in place .I am going to get rid of the yellow plastic clips and replace them with black carabiners .

And we had John aka ECoast over and smoked / BBQ's burgers and red snap hot dogs . It was a good end to a great day .
Unread 04-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #216
bobdog

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
I picked up a HF tongue box today .

It fits great , but the cooler I got is a 1/2" too tall to clear the tonneau. Back to the drawing board on that one .
I've had mine a for a couple of years now and love it. Perfect size and fits a good bit of stuff like tools, extra oil, tire kit, etc.

Black Jeep Society
New Mexico Jeep Club
Atheist Jeep Society
Micro-Trailer Club
bobdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2014, 07:53 PM   #217
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It was an odd day with the weather and lack of productivity but I found a smoking deal on a Yakima rack for the trailer! It was a little too tall in the stock setup , but is perfect with the towers removed . I do plan on narrowing the bars a little before its fully installed .
Unread 04-28-2014, 10:16 PM   #218
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Tonight I got to work on the tonneau . First up was to measure 5 times and then drill the holes . I was nervous about drilling the tonneau and thats why I kept measuring . I am by no means a perfectionist , but all four holes squared up within 1/64th . This trailer is going to end up being the most precise thing I have ever built.

" />
Once the holes were drilled I ran the bolt through the angle support and into the yakima rack mounts. This served two purposes . One was to strengthen the top and the second purpose is to provide a mount for the lifting strut .

Once everything was mounted to the tonneau I made two lower mounting brackets for the struts .

And then it was time for the voodoo math magic to get the extended length and the angles to all work together . The good news is that I got the max height with good working angles . The bad news is that the struts I picked are rated at 150lbs and one arm attached seems perfect . When both arms are attached it wont stay shut . So tommorrow I am going to call AVM and see what strut has the same lenght with less lifting force .

With just the one strut installed it feels just about perfect and allows for plenty of room to get in and out of the trailer .

And heres the catapault/tonneau with both struts . It is nice to be able to get rid of the stick !
Unread 04-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #219
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

No luck on the struts today , still hunting for a pair that are 14" compressed and 21"extended with 40-50lbs of lifting force .

I did get to Tractor supply for some hitch supplies after the strut debacle today. I picked up a 1" bolt , nut , collar and centering ball . Then they got chucked !

The centering collar and bolt turned down and ready to insert into the tubing . The collar fits inside of the 1.75 tubing perfectly , though I did turn the bolt down a little bit more to make sure it wouldnt bind . Once everything is in place I will weld the collar in on the end and through plug welds .

This spacer will be replaced with another centering ball .

And this shows what the end result of hitch 2.0 will look like .
Unread 04-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #220
Hendrix
TJOTY 2013

1997 TJ Wrangler 

This MB I am working on at work as a pair of dual stage struts on the hood. You can open the hood a little or straight up.
Hendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 08:55 PM   #221
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
This MB I am working on at work as a pair of dual stage struts on the hood. You can open the hood a little or straight up.
Year and model ? What type ends do they have ?
Unread 04-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #222
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Made some more progress on the hitch , I think all I have left to order is a threaded insert and then I can weld it all up .

I wanted to use a bronze washer between the two halves , but it was impossible to find locally . The local machine shop sold me a block of self lubricating dense plastic that may be a remnant from chernobyl . I am not kidding this stuff is almost impossible to cut , but with slow speeds I was able to make a washer .

I used a 1.75"hole saw to make the outer cut , and then a 1" hole saw to make the inner cut . Then I flipped it on its side and made a vertical cut with the band saw. Once that was done the washer fell out .
It looks rough , but smoothed out nicely with a little sanding .

When I get back from New Jersey I will finish this and the tonneau up and move on to outfitting the trailer for trips .
Unread 04-30-2014, 08:31 PM   #223
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNHx0dhZy4o

The new struts work great , and should still lift a couple of bikes up no problem . I am going to add an X brace underneath to stiffen the tonneau up a little , but its so nice having the trailer almost ready to go .
Unread 04-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #224
Sahara707
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Here's a picture of my 3-Axis hitch. Fun project.

trailer build. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/a...build-1558519/
image-3193333080.jpg

image-4080174824.jpg

Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 03:34 AM   #225
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
Here's a picture of my 3-Axis hitch. Fun project.

trailer build. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/a...build-1558519/
Thats similar to what I am building . I will look through your thread to see where you got the bearings for the receiver hitch mount . How does it tow ?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.