TJ Wrangler trailer build . - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ Wrangler trailer build .

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-30-2013, 08:37 PM   #166
Boundless
2005 LJ Wrangler 

wow awesome build

2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) 6cyl, 4spd auto, dana 30/44 3.73, rear trac-loc, hard top, BFG KM2 35/12.5 x 15 on rattle can black stock Ravine wheels & 1.5" spacers, trimmed flares, budget PA 1" BL & RC 1" MML, Ford Explorer roof rack, Hella e-code headlight housings, 55 watt DDM HID Hi/Lo 6000k, EBC Yellow Stuff front brake pads, Platinum P4 battery, Rusty's 3" 305s front and 303s rear springs, RC rear track bar bracket and Hella 500FFs with DDM's 55watt 6000k H3 HIDs on windshield hinge brackets. Currie's front upper and lower control arms. Hummm whats next? Building a Dana HP30 with 4.88 and ? locker
http://www.canddautocenter.com/
Boundless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #167
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post
wow awesome build
Thanks , its been fun but I am looking forward to working on something else for a while .

New shackles painted and installed . I now have plenty of travel and adjustability if needed .

Everything is lined up and ready to go .

Ranger center caps with a custom steel insert .

The tub is mounted and complete except for the tail lights which will get plugged in tomorrow morning . With a little luck I can make it over to DMV and get inspected tomorrow morning . Many thanks to Hendrix for all the body and paint work and to Jonathon for helping me along the way .
Unread 10-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #168
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

So after a bit of worrying about the inspection process the angry trailer passed with nary a problem. The State Highway Patrolman gave it a once over , checked to see that the vin was stamped in the proper place and then asked me "did you really build this"? That was nice to hear , and I told him yes except for the fact that I brought in a ringer for the paint and body work . I have had people all day long waving and pointing , its a little surreal . No videos were taken yet , so I dont have dumpster status .

It tows good , but wags a little at speed due to the fact that I have too much play in the multi axis hitch . I am going to re build it on the mill and get tighter tolerances over the winter . Until then I am going to run a bolt on traditional coupler .

The trailer sits just a little higher than the LJ which means it should be near dead level once its loaded .

I towed it about 40 miles on road and mile or so off road and it does fine other than a little wagging like I mentioned above . I am off to fix that after trick or treating tonight .
Unread 10-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #169
aw12345
Web Wheeler
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
So after a bit of worrying about the inspection process the angry trailer passed with nary a problem. The State Highway Patrolman gave it a once over , checked to see that the vin was stamped in the proper place and then asked me "did you really build this"? That was nice to hear , and I told him yes except for the fact that I brought in a ringer for the paint and body work . I have had people all day long waving and pointing , its a little surreal . No videos were taken yet , so I dont have dumpster status .

It tows good , but wags a little at speed due to the fact that I have too much play in the multi axis hitch . I am going to re build it on the mill and get tighter tolerances over the winter . Until then I am going to run a bolt on traditional coupler .

The trailer sits just a little higher than the LJ which means it should be near dead level once its loaded .

I towed it about 40 miles on road and mile or so off road and it does fine other than a little wagging like I mentioned above . I am off to fix that after trick or treating tonight .
i

Greg, wouldn't a bit of toe in on the axle solve the wagging.
Uncle of mine used to built trailers for a living and always toe'd the axles in a bit for good tracking. I doubt tightening the hitch parts will make much of a difference. Try it with a ordinary coupler, wouldn't be surprised if it would still wag
Unread 10-31-2013, 11:56 PM   #170
Rubicon0311
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great, glad to see it on it's own weight

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f325/what-did-you-do-your-xj-mj-tj-zj-wj-wk-lj-jk-thread-1289204/"][B]Michigan BS Thread[/B][/URL]
Rubicon0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #171
lar308

1990 YJ Wrangler 

A fine job Sir. You may want to try more tongue weight. Ron
lar308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #172
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
i

Greg, wouldn't a bit of toe in on the axle solve the wagging.
Uncle of mine used to built trailers for a living and always toe'd the axles in a bit for good tracking. I doubt tightening the hitch parts will make much of a difference. Try it with a ordinary coupler, wouldn't be surprised if it would still wag
I have 3 degrees of toe in , but there is no crown. The regular coupler is built and installed . Test towing tomorrow morning .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon0311 View Post
Looks great, glad to see it on it's own weight
It is nice to see it in a useable state

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar308 View Post
A fine job Sir. You may want to try more tongue weight. Ron
Thanks , and I am headed that direction once I install the tongue box .
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #173
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Today I made a different tongue attachment and I installed the tailgate cables .

The multi axis coupler is attached to the tongue with a 5/8" shank grade 8 stud . This made it pretty easy to fabricate a traditional hitch to bolt to the tongue .

I cut a piece of 2"x2" box tube diagonally and welded an end it . Then I centered it up and drilled a hole so that it could be attached to the tongue . I welded what you see here and then all six of the plug welds on the top and sides .

All welded up and painted .

Installed and ready for a test tow . I think its going to make a huge difference as there is no play in the tongue now .

Next up was to get the tailgate cables installed before I screwed up and dropped the gate on the bumper ! After some rough measuring it seemed like the cables and hardware from an 04 explorer sport trac would work out just about perfect .

The Ford factory torx bolts thread right into the CJ tailgate , but they need to be trimmed down so that they clear the when opening and closing.

I had hoped to attach directly to the old inner fender but the tub flange pushed the cables out of alignment. Two pieces of 1.75 tubing and some slightly modified factory pivots allowed better alignment of the cables .

The explorer sport trac cables and hardware worked out nicely . I did make the spacers cam centric so that I could turn them to adjust the slack of the cable . Sounds silly ,but it made for easy adjustment .

Last but not least , no Monkeys were harmed in the fabrication of this trailer .
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #174
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

looks great! Any plans for mounting the spare to free up the trailer bed?
Sahara707 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #175
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
looks great! Any plans for mounting the spare to free up the trailer bed?
Thank you , and yes the spare will go back on the LJ once the tailgate hinges are reinforced .

Also made a minion for the kids while I was waiting on parts to dry for the trailer .
Unread 11-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #176
Sahara707

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I went with a stock TJ carrier.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
image-2704319723.jpg

Unread 11-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #177
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahara707 View Post
I went with a stock TJ carrier.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
I will be hauling the spare on the LJ . Thats what I was talking about beefing up . If I were to hide that painted tailgate Hendrix would put a hit out on me. The trailer and LJ use the same size tire and rim so I just need to carry one .
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #178
green50gt

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great!
green50gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #179
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by green50gt View Post
Looks great!
Thanks , has it inspired you to build another one yet ?

Today we took the trailer all over the county , even on the interstate so that I could get up to higher speeds . I am relieved to say that the trailer has no quirks at any speed now ! Heres some pics from the day .

It was a great day of towing around and running errands with nary a wiggle from the trailer .

When I get back from Minnesota the aluminum for the tonneau should be here and I still need to cut the tongue jack so that I can add some length .
Unread 11-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #180
ginger-mech
1963 CJ5 

The shots in the woods are great. I love autumn. Great work.
ginger-mech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.