TJ Wrangler trailer build . - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ Wrangler trailer build .

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 10-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

TJ Wrangler trailer build .

Over the last two years I managed to wrangle up (terrible ) two wrangler tubs that had been in front end collisions . Just recently I have started building a trailer . This was almost a thread within a thread on my LJ build , so here it is on its own .

These are the two tubs I started with . I think I need larger tires

With a little follow the sharpie and a fine tooth blade on my sawzall this is what the white tub looked like all ready to be welded .

Getting the bulkheads out was tough . The method that worked best for me was to cut them in sections then wiggle them back and forth with a pair of vice grips to break them loose .

Blue tub getting cleaned and ready to be cut .

Both halves cut and fitted . At this point I used a mild flapper wheel to prep all the weld surfaces .

I dont have pictures of the process , but I used a ratchet strap to keep the two halves tight together as I was tacking them together .

Removing the lower crossmember spot welds was terrible , but it was worth it . By removing the crossmember on the blue section I was able to butt the two floor surfaces together over the crossmember on the white section.

Welded and flappered . I ran my Miller 210 on level 2 and wire speed of 20. I found the jeep sheetmetal to be very forgiving , and with enough stitching I got minimal warpage .

Here you can see where I was able to land the two floors on the same crossmember . It was a little planning and a lot of luck .

All welded up , and it came out pretty nice .

Unread 10-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #2
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have the 2"x2" box tube for the frame at the house and I hope to start the frame when I am home next week . I will also be cutting the old fender well corners on the blue section out and welding in flooring that will come from the extra flooring left from the blue tub . The end goal of this is to have a trailer that we can camp out of and hopefully it will match the LJ .

More pics to come next week .
Unread 10-15-2012, 10:15 PM   #3
2000-TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I like it so far!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mark-Wood-Carpentry/117967248267233?ref=stream
2000-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Made a little progress on the Jeep tub trailer today .

Most of the frame is cut and ready to be welded . Still looking for hockey pucks to use as body mounts , not too easy to find around here !
Tomorrow I plan on welding up the frame and hopefully mounting the frame to the tub . The Savvy corners also came in today , but I think they are going to wait until it warms up and I can paint them to match my LJ .
Unread 11-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #5
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm so in on this, great work bud!

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
Doubblea
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Loking good! im following this one.
Unread 11-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #7
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molonlabemike View Post
I'm so in on this, great work bud!
Thanks , its been fun so far .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubblea View Post
Loking good! im following this one.
I hope to have it rolling this week , still a ways to go though .

Crossmember bolted in place and the corners cut off .

Tacking it all up .

Beginning of the welds .

Hannah monkey the photographer / assistant approves .

The receiver tongue is marked up , just need to recess it through the front angle iron .
Unread 11-27-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
Molonlabemike
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What are your plans for the axle? I'm thinking about building a trailer but trying to figure out if I will mod a harbor freight trailer or just build one from scratch. As always buddy, good work!

Molon Labe
Molonlabemike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #9
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molonlabemike View Post
What are your plans for the axle? I'm thinking about building a trailer but trying to figure out if I will mod a harbor freight trailer or just build one from scratch. As always buddy, good work!
Thanks for the encouragement , its motivating on a cold day like today !

Gspup has been helping me figure a lot of this out , and he has suggested a 2000 lb or so Reliable axle . They run a similar axle at Ruger Trailers http://rugertrailers.com/ . There is a monkey wrench in the works as I have a chance to pick up a free drop axle. I think I might give it a try installed upside down . The extra clearance in the middle would be sort of like a portal axle and theoretically should be less likely to hang up along the trail. If it doesnt work , I can get a reliable and replace it .
Unread 11-28-2012, 05:40 PM   #10
LJWrangler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

G check these out http://www.trailerpart.com/halftorsionaxles.htm 2000# are $285 and come in a 5-4.5 bolt pattern. I have used them before and they work great just not sure what kind of budget you have! Awesome build so far
SILVER JEEP CLUB #71

My Build [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-06-lj-build-1449774/[/url]
LJWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
mmbtv
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Trailer is looking good!
Do you still have the fender wells from the dark tub?
mmbtv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #12
NOCHEEPGAS
1980 CJ5 

Great project, wanting to do one for my CJ one day. a lot cheaper than 3K for an Aqualu trailer body. http://www.aqualu.com/jeep-cabs--boxes.html
Since it looks like you're keeping both tailgates you might want to consider a removeable tongue (think receiver hitch) that you can put at either end of the trailer.
NOCHEEPGAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJWrangler View Post
G check these out http://www.trailerpart.com/halftorsionaxles.htm 2000# are $285 and come in a 5-4.5 bolt pattern. I have used them before and they work great just not sure what kind of budget you have! Awesome build so far
With Christmas close at hand my budget is getting slim ! I have a free axle that I am going to run for now . If it doesnt work I will get a Reliable at a later date .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbtv View Post
Trailer is looking good!
Do you still have the fender wells from the dark tub?
Yes I still have the rest of the blue tub , I am going to cut whats left of the floor out of it to fill in the corners of the trailer . Do you need fender wells ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOCHEEPGAS View Post
Great project, wanting to do one for my CJ one day. a lot cheaper than 3K for an Aqualu trailer body. http://www.aqualu.com/jeep-cabs--boxes.html
Since it looks like you're keeping both tailgates you might want to consider a removeable tongue (think receiver hitch) that you can put at either end of the trailer.
The Aqualus look awesome and they are way nicer than what I am making, but the $150 or so I have in my tub more than makes up for the imperfections . Right now the plan is to have both tailgates , but I think the front one may be bolted in place . If you look at the picture below the tube in the middle at the front is receiver tube , so that the tongue is detachable . On the rear I will be able to attach it to the receiver in the bumper .
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:22 AM   #14
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I made a little progress yesterday , hope to get more done this afternoon .

I mis-measured my front mounts and the small amount I needed to cut off was not agreeing with the band saw . The vice grips kept the
angle in place and I got a nice square cut versus using the sawzall .

The front mounts are cut , fitted , bolted and ready to weld . The other four mounts are cut and waiting to be tacked in place . If I can pick up the axle tonight I might be able to have this on wheels tomorrow afternoon .
Unread 11-29-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
NOCHEEPGAS
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
The Aqualus look awesome and they are way nicer than what I am making, but the $150 or so I have in my tub more than makes up for the imperfections . Right now the plan is to have both tailgates , but I think the front one may be bolted in place . If you look at the picture below the tube in the middle at the front is receiver tube , so that the tongue is detachable . On the rear I will be able to attach it to the receiver in the bumper .
Wow, $150.00! Cant touch a tub to cut up around these parts for less than 5 bills, that makes it 1K for two of them, which almost make the Aqualu's worth the money.
NOCHEEPGAS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.