TJ Windshield Light Bar Rack Systems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ Windshield Light Bar Rack Systems

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-06-2014, 07:34 PM   #1
MetalHead0723
2001 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Windshield Light Bar Rack Systems

I am planning on building my own rack system for the front of my 2001 TJ to support my 50" Federal Signal Vista light bar. The bar itself weights roughly 60lbs.

Here's where I stand with this project right now. I currently have the bar mounted directly through my hard top this winter, but come the summertime I wan't to be able to remove the roof without having to take the bar off. So I did some searching and found this video which shoes a Whelen Ultra Freedom light bar mounted to a still unidentified windshield rack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uES4wiH3X9M

Carr makes one similar but I don't think its the same one let alone one that could support 60lbs at highway speeds.

So here is the design that I have been working on for a home made rack system. If anyone here is familiar with the program Google Sketchup the original project file is located in the Dropbox folder for download.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nzaspfaxy...2_xQ9tUAa?dl=0

Yes, I am aware that the main beams are not in line with the windshield frame. They will be during the actual build. This is just a rough draft of what I have planned right now.

This is the material I am planning on using

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bol...2330/100337410

The entire assembly will be bolted together, not welded. I do not own a welder capable of making the kind of welds necessary for this kind of build and I would rather much be able to dissemble the entire thing if I ever need to.

I am looking for as much input as possible. If anyone has any suggestions please post them! Also if anyone knows of a already pre-made front rack system that could support 60lbs at highway speeds safely please post it below. It would save me a ton of time. However I don't wan't a full rack system with the cage over the roof. I just wan't the front racks. I don't have the money to spend on the full system.

MetalHead0723 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.