tj tub trailer build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > tj tub trailer build

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 03-03-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
TURBOLOVE96
2003 TJ Wrangler 

tj tub trailer build

I have a 2003 wrangler and as many of you know the space in a jeep can become limited very fast. Not to mention when you have two small kids to stuff into the back seat. Because of this I became motivated to build myself an Offroad trailer.

Many thanks to the people on this forum and others for posting their ideas and builds as they have all had a play in my build at least a little bit.

Now for the real stuff. I started with a 1998 Jeep wrangler tub and promptly cut it in half. The front half went to a friend for a buggy build. The jeep had quite a bit of work done to it before i started such as, the rear had been shaved and the inside had been set up for a stereo system. The PO had added a 1/4" steel subwoofer box for two twelves and had raise the rear floor and countersunk an area for amplifiers. I am guessing that this was a mall crawler before it was torn down and then i got a hold of it. It also appears to have had a long arm kit as all the control arm mounts have been romoved and a custom cross member was added. I have the frame and the tub so I decided to utilize the frame as a good starting point. Here are a few pics to get started. I will get more posted hopefully tomorrow.

What I started with.

After cutting

I lost a few pics so here it is after building the frame and placing the tub on the frame.

I'll get some more up soon. In those pics you can also see the front part that i am building. It will be skinned and have doors on the top. Also the main tub area will have one large hinged top that will swing over to become a table top for cooking and preparing food. I am also going to add a propane tank for cooking with. I am going to countersink the floor above where the gas tank used to be and build a cage for a cooler to drop in. Please feel free to critisize or ar question anything i am doing. This is my first major project and as a new welder i have had some help from some much better welders than myself. Sorry about the poor grammar and spelling. Thanks for checking out my build.

2003 Tj 4.0L auto 35" tires 3" teraflex lift RJC member #569

Last edited by TURBOLOVE96; 03-03-2010 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: poor fomatting
TURBOLOVE96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 12:21 AM   #2
jesse18
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thats freaking awesome!!! Was it a wreck before you got it or was it just a project. Looks nice so far.
I'm curious to see what you will be able to incorporate into it being a trailer.
jesse18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 09:24 AM   #3
Gurrenteed555
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well.. Never should have clicked on this. Its threads like this that end up motivating me to get myself in trouble with the wife.

I would like to see her face when she opened the garage to find me with a car cut in half... bwahaha

Nice work though! I can't wait to see more!
Gurrenteed555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
TURBOLOVE96
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The jeep was not totaled but it was stripped. I got the tub and frame and title in trade for a hard top I had (which was free). I plan on using a dana 35 from a friend for the axle and using stock tj suspension with 3" lift pucks. Since i have to weld new mounts to the jeep anyways i can center the axle efficiently.
Here are some more pics of what i have done so far.

This is part of one of the body mounts. I am using the body lift parts that came with the tub and building my own frame mounts for just the front to mounts.
Unread 03-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
TURBOLOVE96
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure how this pic got left off but here is the mock up of how the body mount goes.

Also thought I would mention that the welding for the frame was done by a friend that is a far better welder than myself. I dont want those welds to fail.

This is the coupler that I want to use, I just need to make sure its legal.

Couplemate Extreme Trailer Spare Parts OEM.
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:45 PM   #6
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOLOVE96 View Post
This is the coupler that I want to use, I just need to make sure its legal.

Couplemate Extreme Trailer Spare Parts OEM.
Good question. I am building a "Jeep Tub" trailer as well, but I had to build my own tub! I also built a 3 axis hitch and I guess when I finish the job and take it to the Highway patrol for inspection I'll find out if it's legal or not.

The hitch has changed a little since this picture, but you can get the idea of what I built. The pins are all 1" in diameter and it has bushings in it.

My "tub".

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 08:59 PM   #7
Sgt.Fuzz
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I love the idea of a matching tub trailer. Here's one I came across....
tj-trailer.jpg   tj-trailer3.jpg  
Unread 03-04-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
slafferty
2000 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=TURBOLOVE96;9016697]The jeep was not totaled but it was stripped. I got the tub and frame and title in trade for a hard top I had (which was free).

You should sell me your title and vin tag so i can get full coverage on my jeep. My insurance company wont fully cover my jeep since its a salvage.
Any way the trailers lookin good
'00 TJ, 4.0, nv3550 spd, E-lockers Front and Rear, 4.88 gears. Homebuilt Bumpers/ tube doors.. Homebuilt Long Arm in the making... 35 inch MT-R's ordered[QUOTE=RUBtjICON;9622056]If you arent scratching it, you arent trying hard enough :tea:[/QUOTE]

[U][I][B]MY BUILD THREAD[/B][/I][/U]
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE="4"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/slaffertys-2000-tj-build-1121555/index2.html[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]
slafferty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2010, 07:34 AM   #9
TURBOLOVE96
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Bigbob
That coupler is pretty awesome. I toyed with the idea of making my own but i want to have my trailer done and road worthy by may for our moab trip so buying this one will save me some time. And your skills are obviously(sp) far greater than mine that tub is beautiful.

Milwood5
Your trailer is very nice I actually read your build as part of my insperation.
Unread 03-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #10
Bigbob

Quote:
Bigbob
That coupler is pretty awesome. I toyed with the idea of making my own but i want to have my trailer done and road worthy by may for our moab trip so buying this one will save me some time. And your skills are obviously(sp) far greater than mine that tub is beautiful.

Milwood5
Thank you.

Another option on the hitch is to use 2 hitches. Use a ball hitch on the highway and the 3 axis on the trail. Of course you'd need to built it so you could switch them out.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #11
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
I like the design of that for trail use and when the force is pulling on the joints, but what happens when you are traveling at highway speeds with a loaded trailer and hit the brakes?

Isn't that going to want to fold?

I guess it all depends on how tight the clearances are on the joints.
Unread 03-05-2010, 08:33 AM   #12
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
I like the design of that for trail use and when the force is pulling on the joints, but what happens when you are traveling at highway speeds with a loaded trailer and hit the brakes?

Isn't that going to want to fold?

I guess it all depends on how tight the clearances are on the joints.
thats a pretty common 3 axis hitch design. Tough Terrain, Lock-N-Roll are commercially available examples. It's impressive how much better than a ball hitch the Lock-N-Roll is...my buddy has it on his Adventure Trailer.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
Phreak480
2006 LJ Wrangler 

hmmm i might have to build one of these too. better yet would be if i could find an LJ tub to chop up for cheap.
Phreak480 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #14
Sgt.Fuzz
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Bigbob

Milwood5
I need to clarify TURBOLOVE96, it's not actually my trailer. It belongs to another member. I just wanted to post it in case you haven't seen it in hopes it would help with your build or give you some ideas. I'm really liking how yours is turning out and can't wait to see the finished product.
Unread 03-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #15
mattamd_xp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

why not just run a pintle hook hitch? You get plenty of flex for an offroad trailer and cheap/legal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.