TJ roof rack corner armor questions and help? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 03-07-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
whoppe
2003 TJ Wrangler 

TJ roof rack corner armor questions and help?

I am thinking of making a roof rack for my jeep tj. I just need a small rack to carry gear. I'm thinking of buying the full rear corner armor by barricade from extreme terrain and welding some square tubing to it front and rear. I'm gonna use this as kind of a receiver hitch for the rack frame so I can remove the rack when not in use. I am then thinking of building supports and a small rack that will drop into the receivers. Will this work or be too much wait on the corner armor? I am after something about the size of the back seat and truck for rack size. I have seen the racks that go on the swing out tire carrier but I feel like I already have too much weight back there with a 33" tire, hi lift and jerry cans. I also want something where the hard top is easily removable and I can fold the front windshield down without too much work. sorry for the bad drawings. Any help?

http://www.extremeterrain.com/barric...j-j100297.html

Attached Thumbnails
corner gaurd roof rack.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-08-2016, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
whoppe
2003 TJ Wrangler 

bump
post #3 of 10 Old 03-09-2016, 06:47 AM
auswall

I'm also curious, would like to do the same thing for my hard top tj.
post #4 of 10 Old 03-09-2016, 02:47 PM
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
If the welds are strong enough, I don't see why weight would be an issue.

I would move the rear anchor points to the side so the support hoops can be the same size/interchangeable.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-11-2016, 10:09 AM
auswall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert
If the welds are strong enough, I don't see why weight would be an issue. I would move the rear anchor points to the side so the support hoops can be the same size/interchangeable.
Could you please explain this a little better or a picture possibly about the support hoops?
post #6 of 10 Old 03-11-2016, 10:33 AM
mike_dippert
hodophobic

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Most racks use hoops instead of just legs. They're a U shape that goes from the driver side to the passenger side. The basket part sits on top of the hoops.
post #7 of 10 Old 03-11-2016, 06:19 PM
auswall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert
Most racks use hoops instead of just legs. They're a U shape that goes from the driver side to the passenger side. The basket part sits on top of the hoops.

you mean so the front and back hoop are equal in width? Gotcha 👌🏻
post #8 of 10 Old 04-04-2016, 08:00 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

delete double post

01 TJ, 34 Super Swaper 34x10.5 bias, Winch, locked, belly up, some armor, 4.0, 5spd
post #9 of 10 Old 04-04-2016, 08:05 AM
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppe View Post
I am thinking of making a roof rack for my jeep tj. I just need a small rack to carry gear. I'm thinking of buying the full rear corner armor by barricade from extreme terrain and welding some square tubing to it front and rear. I'm gonna use this as kind of a receiver hitch for the rack frame so I can remove the rack when not in use. I am then thinking of building supports and a small rack that will drop into the receivers. Will this work or be too much wait on the corner armor? I am after something about the size of the back seat and truck for rack size. I have seen the racks that go on the swing out tire carrier but I feel like I already have too much weight back there with a 33" tire, hi lift and jerry cans. I also want something where the hard top is easily removable and I can fold the front windshield down without too much work. sorry for the bad drawings. Any help?
Adding weight to the back can change how your TJ drives. Any weight past the rear axles changes things even move. The higher the weight is the more it changes things.

I have a small rack I made that hangs over the my windshield and far enough forward to allow me to take down my top while leaving the rack on. It isn't nearly as stout as the one you are planning. It is good for sleeping bags and chairs, bulky light stuff.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/made-rack-tj-3672417/

01 TJ, 34 Super Swaper 34x10.5 bias, Winch, locked, belly up, some armor, 4.0, 5spd
post #10 of 10 Old 04-06-2016, 09:24 AM
partegolkar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_dippert View Post
If the welds are strong enough, I don't see why weight would be an issue.

I would move the rear anchor points to the side so the support hoops can be the same size/interchangeable.
agreed with you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.