TJ Rear Crossmember - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ Rear Crossmember

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-31-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Rear Crossmember

Ever since I built my front bumper and winch plate for the jeep, I'v been brainstorming ideas for the rear bumper. I was originally going to build a traditional tire carrier rear bumper but have decided to do something a little different. I looked at all the options out there and really liked the better departure angle and looks of something like the T&T replacement crossmember.

The plan is to build something very similar to T&T's, replacing my stock crossmember with a stronger 2x4" bumper with recovery points and flush mount LED marker lights. I got started on it a couple days ago and figured I'd start a thread for anyone that wants to follow along

Started with a 6' piece of 3/16" thick 2x4 rectangular tube and cut it down to 51" (a hair wider than the stock crossmember).

Made a sort of mock up crossmember out of some cardboard just to get my ideas down and right out some measurements. I then got all my measurements and marks done on all sides of the tube and started cutting the ends.

Cut the bottom portion of the tube off. Wasn't easy with the angle grinder but I got it done. I'm happy with how straight i managed to cut it but really wish I had a nice plasma setup. Would make things a lot easier i think

Here it is with the cuts finished and the through shackle mount holes cut out.

Burned the shackle mounts in

Here it is clamped over top of the existing crossmember

Next task is to drop the tank on the jeep and get it out of the way. It's gonna take a little work to fabricate the body mounts as well as the gas tank skid mount. I have some ideas in my head but it will be a test fit and cut type of deal until I'm happy with it.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments I'd be glad to here them

What's a CV shaft and why do I need one?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-

Last edited by MO2500; 08-02-2010 at 06:15 PM..
MO2500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

These are the LED markers I will be mounting into the crossmember. Their 2" 3 diode lights. The STT tails are 10 diode flange mounts which I just installed on the jeep this afternoon. I may paint the flange on the brake lights black to go with the rest of my jeep (no chrome lol)

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-

Last edited by MO2500; 08-04-2010 at 11:04 AM..
Unread 08-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Dropped the tank today but was too busy to work on the crossmember. I'll get some work done tomorrow hopefully. Used a motorcycle jack to support the tank and it really only took about 20 min to drop it from under the jeep.

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 08-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Teaser pic

Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Okay, so today was fairly productive. Still have a lot of welding and finishing to do on the crossmember and then I need to weld it to the frame and add some gussets for strength.

Got the holes for the LED markers cut and fitted

Measured out the mount for the gas tank skid and tacked the bolts in from the original crossmember. I then welded this onto the crossmember to box in the bottom again.

After I had cut the old crossmember out of the way, I cleaned up the frame rails and removed 2" from the length of the rails. This was because the original crossmember slipped over the frame and this one will butt up against it. Should be almost flush with the back of the tub now, maybe 1/8" farther out than the tub. I then got the crossmember clamped up in place to start working on the body mounts. Keep in mind that the body is raised about 3" or more so i could cut and weld on the frame. That huge gap won't be there once i lower the tub back down on the frame.

This is what I ended up with for a surface for the body mounts. I didn't get a picture because my camera died but I test fitted the body mounts and everything looks good. The red line is about where I'll cut it when I finish the ends. I still need to finish half-boxing the ends of the crossmember and smooth everything out. The crossmember will remain open right behind the body mounts so i can get a wrench in and remove the body mount.

Let me know what you guys think so far
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 08-02-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
Terrain Twister
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I like it. Can I ask where you picked up the marker lights? It appears you have your spare mounted internally? Clean wleds by the way!
Unread 08-02-2010, 10:47 PM   #7
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrain Twister View Post
I like it. Can I ask where you picked up the marker lights? It appears you have your spare mounted internally? Clean wleds by the way!
Thanks!

Yea, right now my spares just strapped down in the tub. My original plan was to build this crossmember and then build a tub mounted carrier similar to the Or-Fab or Treks tire carriers. I bought the steel and bushings to do so but think I may be going in a different direction now and might just build a nice mount for it inside the tub. After getting to work on this, I really like the clean rear with nothing hanging out to get caught on. During my last offroad trip, I realized the benefits of having nothing back there because there were several instances where i would have dragged the tire over a rock and likely would have torn the tailgate right off if I had left my spare on the stock carrier. As of right now I'm aiming for a flat rear end with a great departure angle.

Marker lights came from here ryder fleet products
They are optronics, 2" 3 diode LED marker lights. You also need the grommets and 2 wire connectors. Ryder had the best prices on everything i was looking for and they also have a lot of different lighting options to choose from.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 08-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
1unknown
2005 TJ Wrangler 

very clean streamline bumper, i like it.
1unknown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #9
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1unknown View Post
very clean streamline bumper, i like it.
Thanks man

I got all the welding done on the end caps and have smoothed everything out. It's now centered and tacked to the frame. I'm about to go back out and hopefully get it all welded to the frame. Pics later...
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 08-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #10
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

looks like mine! only mines bolted to the frame and has a receiver tube and was used with strap instead of tube... but very similar... link to not distract from your build!
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...r/IMG_2963.jpg

welds look good to btw!
cgmrdc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgmrdc View Post
looks like mine! only mines bolted to the frame and has a receiver tube and was used with strap instead of tube... but very similar... link to not distract from your build!
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...r/IMG_2963.jpg

welds look good to btw!
Thanks!

I wasn't sure if there were very many other people that went the same direction as me. Looks good Any pics of it on your jeep?
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job, I'm excited to see this final product.

Oh, pretty looking welds too.
zachbh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:24 PM   #13
MO2500
Fabramicator

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachbh View Post
Nice job, I'm excited to see this final product.

Oh, pretty looking welds too.
I'm hoping to have it done in the next couple days I leave for 2 weeks of vacation on saturday and it would suck to have to put this project on hold till i get back. I'm fairly certain I'll be done with the fab work today, then it needs paint and I gotta put the jeep back together.
Driveline 101
TJ Specs
-Mike-
Unread 08-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #14
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

ummm... well... it got finished in a haste so i could go wheelin... im lookin for some...

kinda here
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...0/IMG_3135.jpg
http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k...h/DSC_0108.jpg

went out and took a cell phone ones for ya, there uploading atm
cgmrdc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2010, 03:11 PM   #15
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

All these great mods are gonna get me divorced. Wifey is alreay calling my build the new girl...

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
build , bumper , crossmember , rear , t&t , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.