TJ rear bumper/ rear crossmember ideas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ rear bumper/ rear crossmember ideas

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

TJ rear bumper/ rear crossmember ideas

Since removing my factory skid plate, I'm toying with the idea of removing the rear bumper and cutting out the rear cross member and fabricating something there.

My idea is to cut out the rear cross member out
replacing it with a 2x4 box tube because my current bumper is my air tank.
I really would like to maintain my rear hitch receiver because i'm thinking about making a receiver mount tire carrier.
One problem that I'm thinking about is keeping the receiver mount and also recessing my tank between the frame rails to gain more interior storage.

any thoughts or ideas?

My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Here is a mockup I did for my Jeep. Rather than cut out the cross member, I'll just cut the "Ears" off the end of it. Then I'll use some nice big 4x4 angle and slide it up the frame rails. 1 Big hole for the body mount and a few smaller ones (not in the drawings below) for the bolts. Should be strong as hell.

Just something to think about. SHould be a lot easier than redoing the whole cross member, especially for those of us that still have the stock tank skid.

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2009, 06:57 AM   #3
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good, but i'm looking for a little less overhang in the rear.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

Unread 07-05-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRocks86 View Post
Looks good, but i'm looking for a little less overhang in the rear.
Are you running a spare tire?
Where is your gas tank?

That will actually flush up to the factory cross member so it will stick out a mere 2" (other than the hitch). You could certainly flush the hitch to the face and sink part of it into the factory cross member area, depending on where your gas tank is.

I asked about the spare because if you are running one you may want the receiver to sit there to help protect whatever your tire is on (factory spare mount or swing away spindle). God knows I rather take a hard knock on the receiver than bend up a spindle or tear up the tail gate.

If you are spareless and running a fuel cell in the "bed", then you absolutely can cut out the cross member and put in some box tube and make a roll pan kind of setup, but you may fond yourself dinging up the body back there. I personally like to have a little bit of bumper back there sticking out for that reason.

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #5
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If you need less overhang in the rear stretch the wheelbase.

Just build a bumper for the crossmember and build some stout frame tie-ins. Hell my rear suspension is mounted off of mine and I have no doubt that it will be perfectly fine once I get some frame tie-ins from BESRK as I had one of his tire carrier/bumpers before and liked them(he actually welded the d-ring tabs and reciever onto my current bumper as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #6
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

currently my cell is in the back, held in with 2 ratchet straps because I finished the install about 30 min before leaving for a wheeling trip a few weeks ago.

I plan to sink it between the frame rails though.

After thinking about it, I would probably be better off just leaving the rear cross member and building a flush mount bumper.

As for tire carrier, Usually I had the spare in the back where the seat would be. Needless to say, the first time in a long time I didn't take the spare, I had to send back to camp to get someone to bring it since I destroyed a steel rim.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.