TJ Overhead Console Build Thread - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ Overhead Console Build Thread

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 02-11-2010, 07:20 AM   #16
richnev
2012 JK Wrangler 

I am following this one, only thing I dont care for too much is the way the CB sits out at an angle and yes I understand it is so you can see it sitting in the drivers seat but is there a way to mold that portion of the console to the angle of the CB?

other than that small detail I think it is looking great now for the install pics

ARMY TEAM MEMBER #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2 View Post
I just make a BOOP BEEP sound with my mouth (really loud) as I walk away from the jeep, and point the key at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by her94yj View Post
lets put it a way a kids will relate......its like a hooker.......... SURE a 15 dollar handy from a detroit toothless 60 year old can get it done....... but NO where is it as nice as the $5000 an hour goddess from vegas or hollywood

....... dont be that fat guy on the beach in the speedo you dont want to be "that guy"
richnev is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #17
tuffy2
Vendor

Looks great! You ended up with a really nice unit. Just to keep people who don't have the time or skills from being scared off of the Tuffy overhead consoles, it can be purchased in the US in the range of $200-$248. I see you are from Canada, so that may account for some of the difference.

Jeff Fox
Tuffy Security Products
tuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #18
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Great job! nothing like the feeling of designing and building something yourself!
Unread 02-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #19
FlyinPhil
2005 TJ Wrangler 

hey guys, thanks for the awesome feedback!

good news, the console is now finished and installed. it functions surprisingly well, and does not shake or rattle at all. i'm at school right now, but will post pics when i get home in a few hours.

and tuffy2, this a fab thread, not an advertisement thread!!!!!!!

jk, i am a huge fan of tuffy products , but i enjoy building stuff either way. my console was loosely based on yours, though with fixed mounting positions instead of locking ones.
Unread 02-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #20
FlyinPhil
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well guys, it's finally finished! Here are the remaining pics of the build and the installed pics!

So the first part of this stage was to finish the brackets that mount the console to the roll cage. What started out as a simple piece that would bolt to the cage slowly got fancier haha. In the end i used a steel round clamp on each bracket. I did this by cutting off the long thin piece of the clamp right by the screw part that holds the other part. ( yes i know, that makes very little sense. the pics show it better). i then welded the screw part of the clamp to the bottom of the bracket, and the long thin part to the top of the bracket. this then wraps around the roll cage and tightens everything down.

bare brackets:

one of the welds on the brackets

This is the "screw part" of the clamp welded to the bracket. if you follow my design at this point, be very careful to not burn it too deeply, or else you can damage the threads of the "screw part"

here is the "long thin"/ band part of the clamp welded to the top of the bracket. i drilled three small holes in it before tacking it on to ensure better contact. the pic shown looks like a bit of a mess, but i ended up grinding it down and redoing it to give it a cleaner look. all this "weld" has to withstand is a few pounds of shear force, so it doesnt have to be extremely strong.

Now i'm sorry, i didnt get ( or managed to lose ) the pics of the full brackets, so you will have to go by the installed pics where you can see them.

Up next here is the wiring panel. To make the holes in the panel for the switches, i used a dremel with a cutting wheel and a small file. it took a long time, but turned out looking pretty good. i decided to utilize a design that uses bullet connectors so that i can quickly disconnect the wires from the switches/ change the function of each switch without taking the console down or apart.
here is the result

The switches:

Holes drilled in the side of the console for the wires to feed through:

Some progress:

The finished wiring....kinda looks like something out of star wars haha.

And finally, the console ready to be wired and installed:

The following post will have pics of the finished product installed.
Unread 02-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #21
FlyinPhil
2005 TJ Wrangler 

And to finish off this build are some pics of the console installed:

Unread 03-01-2010, 08:50 AM   #22
tuffy2
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinPhil View Post
hey guys, thanks for the awesome feedback!

and tuffy2, this a fab thread, not an advertisement thread!!!!!!!
No intent on advertising on your fab thread, but when you said that the Tuffy console is $400+, it is my duty to keep the facts straight.
tuffy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #23
FlyinPhil
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffy2 View Post
No intent on advertising on your fab thread, but when you said that the Tuffy console is $400+, it is my duty to keep the facts straight.

no problem! darn prices in Canada haha.
Unread 03-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #24
kevings

1994 YJ Wrangler 

that is some fine work! you should be proud.
kevings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2010, 01:41 PM   #25
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You should Herculine it. It would help preserve it when the top is off. Nice set-up.
Unread 03-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #26
FlyinPhil
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimitedlou View Post
You should Herculine it. It would help preserve it when the top is off. Nice set-up.
Thanks,

Actually i used "rocker guard" on it which is very similar to herculiner. i am kinda surprised that it didnt quite fill all of the bumps and contours of the wood, but i am pleased with the overall finish on it.
Unread 03-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #27
FlyinPhil
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevings View Post
that is some fine work! you should be proud.
Thanks a lot!
Unread 03-02-2010, 05:54 PM   #28
chainbrain2002
1997 TJ Wrangler 

ok now lets see here the switch for my lights isnt getting power. lets see here i think its the black wire with blue terminals. right?
chainbrain2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #29
w9kh_kevin
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I love it! Gotta copy it, kinda...
Coupla questions.... How does it mount in the front? Is that a metal plate that screws to the top of the windshield channel?
How do you have the wires routed and what's the benefit to putting the radio up there instead of in the dash? What did you do with the spot in the dash?
Gotta plan mine out, but without welding. all you welding people That's one thing I have yet to learn.
2005X
i knew if didnt get what i could afford now i would end up blowing the money on something else
w9kh_kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #30
FlyinPhil
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by w9kh_kevin View Post
I love it! Gotta copy it, kinda...
Coupla questions.... How does it mount in the front? Is that a metal plate that screws to the top of the windshield channel?
How do you have the wires routed and what's the benefit to putting the radio up there instead of in the dash? What did you do with the spot in the dash?
Gotta plan mine out, but without welding. all you welding people That's one thing I have yet to learn.

In the front it mounts to the crossmember that i made....the c-channel aluminum that is painted blue. the bracket attached to the front if of the console bolts to the top of the crossmember.

The wires all run along the front crossmember and then behind the plastic panel that covers the side of the windshield frame ( only 03-06 tj's have this panel ).

There really is no benifit to putting the radio up so high, i just figured it would be fun to do . although i will soon be installing a laptop mount on the passenger's side of the tranny tunnel, which will cause the laptop to partially block where the stereo was originally housed. although in the long run the stereo might migrate its way back down to the dash. not really sure yet, as i like it where it is at the moment.

currently the spot on the dash is just a good place to toss my cds, ipod, etc....though anything smaller would fall down into the dash. i plan to either build a more functional box to put in it (possibly lockable) or to make a simple switch panel to be housed there (for stuff that i dont want wired to the overhead console...like winch, air, etc.)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.