TJ Mini Boat side rockers - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ Mini Boat side rockers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #76
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

Yeah I did, but have since sold the jeep. Most of these pics were pulled out of my build thread. That's still active so you can see the finished product in the link in my sig

cgmrdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 03:56 PM   #77
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Do you recall what size of 3/16th sheet you started with? I am considering getting started with this project.
TXST8tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #78
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

a 4x8... i had a few projects in mind so i bought a full sheet
Unread 10-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #79
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

a 3x5 would be enough tho
Unread 10-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #80
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

On the first page you showed that you cut the plate to allow you to bend the material. You then came back and welded it.

Rather than cutting through the steel and having to weld both sides back, would it work to just cut a 'relief' at the lines......cut enough to be able to bend it, but not enough to go through......and then only have to weld the inside seams to strengthen? I did that with my fair lead mount and it worked well, but that is not going to possibly support the Jeep like these might.

4x8 sounds good. I'm sure I can find something else to use the rest for. I'll have my guy see what kind of price I can get it for.
Unread 10-01-2012, 11:33 PM   #81
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

I tried that on my belly up skid and I ended up spending a ton of time trying to relief cut the whole thing and it was no where near as long of a bend so I figured this would be even harder to do that way. Even with as much as I cut out it still took all my weight and 2 24 inch pipe wrenches to bend.
Unread 10-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #82
TXST8tj
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Ok. Fair enough. That was the info I was looking for.

I just got pricing back for the steel......looks to be about $115 for a 4x8 sheet of 3/16". I had them price aluminum while they were at it....$425 for the same size sheet.

I am thinking $150 for material, hardware, and consumables would not be too bad. I would not be adding the tube steps; at least not for now.
Unread 10-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #83
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm the current owner of the jeep these were built for and I was originally going to ditch the steps thinking they would get hung up on rocks but really helps keep the jeep from really wedging into stuff.
TechJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #84
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Love this thread. Cant wait to get a welder and jump into the fab world.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #85
cgmrdc
1988 MJ Comanche 

Thanks!
Unread 12-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #86
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Would I be able to use nutserts instead of bolts and nuts? Seems harder with the backing plate and spacer underneath, then again, many companies use nutserts such as Savvy

Unread 12-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #87
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't trust nutserts IF you are wanting with a step likes these. For a straight rocker guard nutserts are fine on the places you can't get to. You can get to the back side of the rocker and through bolt very easy and it is way stronger. Large thick washers work well as backers for things like this. I didn't build these rocker guards but I currently own them and have built other ones before. Always through bolt were you can and nutserts can be a giant pain.
Unread 12-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #88
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechJeeper View Post
I wouldn't trust nutserts IF you are wanting with a step likes these. For a straight rocker guard nutserts are fine on the places you can't get to. You can get to the back side of the rocker and through bolt very easy and it is way stronger. Large thick washers work well as backers for things like this. I didn't build these rocker guards but I currently own them and have built other ones before. Always through bolt were you can and nutserts can be a giant pain.
I always thought of them as being more convenient when installed correctly. What makes this applicatiom different than regular washers? Asking not arguing here.

Unread 12-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #89
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

There's only an expanded lip on the back side that actually holds the nutsert in. In a blind spot they are very convenient but they aren't near as strong as a through bolt. So my advice is simple through bolt every place you can. Also if the threads on a nutsert ever seizes and it breaks loose from its grip in the sheet metal you'll never get another nutsert to grip that hole. If you insist on using some sort of nutsert use a plusnut. They aren't cheap but they expand on the back side of the sheet metal much like a drywall anchor but with 4 prongs so get a a good amount of mounting surface. They sell a cheesy version at ACE hardware but fastenal has them on their website you have to search around for them they aren't called plusnuts on fastenal.com. Also if they seize drill it out and you can install another in its place.

And just because SAVVY uses them doesn't mean they are the best solution.
image-2084641287.jpg  
Unread 12-10-2012, 01:00 PM   #90
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I understand, you make a good point, just trying to get some more input as I plan to tackle this in the next month.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.