TJ grille onto YJ completion, 1 Question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ grille onto YJ completion, 1 Question.

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 08-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
EasyE

2005 TJ Wrangler 

TJ grille onto YJ completion, 1 Question.

I am just about finished with my wife's 92' YJ. I finished painting it the color she wanted and while doing so installed the round headlights she has wanted for years. So I have the TJ grille installed, with no major issues there. But I have come to realize that the YJ radiator and air conditioning condenser are too large to fit into the TJ grille. There isn't enough clearance between the radiator a/c combo and the fan. The YJ's condenser is huge compared to the condenser on my 2005 TJ. So I plan to purchase a TJ radiator and condenser and hopefully it will be cake to install.

My question is whether or not the a/c condenser from a 97' thru 05' TJ is compatible with the a/c system in the 92' YJ. Any help from you a/c guys would be appreciated. Now I know that they changed a/c systems in the past few years. So therefore I pose the question. Thanks.

Update: I was able to use the YJ condenser and radiator after all by modifying the TJ grille a bit. Thanks for everyone's input.

Update: Added pic of my girls completed Jeep YJ - TJ - JK thingee,

jeeppaint1.jpg

Last edited by EasyE; 08-27-2013 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: added pic
EasyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 10:32 PM   #2
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Why didn't you use a CJ grill? I think that would have been much easier.

The 92 YJ likely has an old R-12? system vs the newer R-134 in the TJ. I think that caused some of the fittings to change. If it hooks up okay it should work though.
RenoF250 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
EasyE

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks RenoF250, I hope you are correct. I was thinking the same thing. But I know little about a/c systems, and have left a/c work to the pros since the r12 change.

Honestly, I would rather remove the a/c completely. Her YJ is almost always used with the top and doors off anyway. But Murphy's law says we will somehow find ourselves in Death Valley, in July, and she will never forget how I removed the a/c just to save a few bucks.

As for the CJ grille swap option, I showed her some CJ's and she preferred the TJ grille.

Thanks again.

Last edited by EasyE; 08-08-2013 at 08:46 AM.. Reason: typo
Unread 08-09-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
kingcat400
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure on the fittings that connect the lines to and from the compressor evaporator drier but since you would be converting it to r134 any way you will be fine.

Another option would be to get a universal condenser and making your own line
kingcat400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Cant recall if its covered in here or not, but this may help: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f140/yj-round-headlight-conversion-using-tj-grill-598867/
Unread 08-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #6
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I was going to say, someday when you are old and grey, you will be watching Barretts auto auctions and there will be a YJ with the stock grill and headlights.
It will go for a ridiculous amount. As all those vehicles do at those auctions.
You will think to yourself, I had one of those but I put a TJ grill in it.
Then you will be kicking yourself all the way to the bank.
But since you and I are about the same age, at that time, it really will not matter.
Your kids and grandkids will be kicking you though.
Unread 08-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
SpideYJeep
1992 YJ Wrangler 

image-1552678438.jpg

Bolt in fab. Forgot who or where I saw this but I can dig if you would like

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
My YJ is so excited it's leaking oil!
SpideYJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
EasyE

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
Cant recall if its covered in here or not, but this may help: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598867
Thanks! I checked out that post before I did the mod. I did things a bit differently but it had some great info.
Unread 08-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #9
EasyE

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Well I was going to say, someday when you are old and grey, you will be watching Barretts auto auctions and there will be a YJ with the stock grill and headlights.
It will go for a ridiculous amount. As all those vehicles do at those auctions.
You will think to yourself, I had one of those but I put a TJ grill in it.
Then you will be kicking yourself all the way to the bank.
But since you and I are about the same age, at that time, it really will not matter.
Your kids and grandkids will be kicking you though.
Lol!! Yeah I figured that by the time the YJ is worth 1/2 of what we have put into it we will be dead and buried. I can imagine the headlines now, in the year 2060. It goes something like this... "Old 1992 Jeep found in barn. But the purists say it has 2008 JK Rubicon axles and a 1999 TJ grille, custom seats and a welded in roll cage, so it's worthless.". I could care less. Thanks for the post, I'm right there with you. Honestly, if I could have back the money we've thrown at it, I would take it in a minute, and sell it totally stock for maybe $2,500. Then go get a new Rubicon and have to finance maybe 8 grand.
What I am trying to say is I have about 20 G's invested in a $3,000 Jeep. Which means nothing to most people except for Jeep guys who know their stuff. And also, I have changed so much on her YJ that changing the grille doesn't reduce its antique status much.
Gotta keep the little woman happy. The old saying, "It's what you build and not what you buy." just makes us feel less foolish with our money. But if it makes ya happy, it's priceless.
Unread 08-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
EasyE

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideYJeep View Post
Attachment 655686

Bolt in fab. Forgot who or where I saw this but I can dig if you would like
Thanks for the pic. Looks good. But I have already completed the grille mod with a TJ grille.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.