TJ Gas tank Skid - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ Gas tank Skid

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-01-2010, 08:31 AM   #31
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

To the OP...that is another FINE job you did,as BERSK said..you have some GREAT skills

Especialy since you said it's just a hobby for you..you have some serious talents my freind

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 11:07 AM   #32
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

And actually, I think it was just one guy who criticized his welding. The rest of us were just having an interesting discussion on when and why it might be appropriate to grind weld beads smooth. It all depends on the circumstances. In aircraft work, we are taught to NEVER grind down welds. I've personally seen welds that were ground fail in service (it wasn't on an aircraft). In this application, I don't think it really matters, although I remain skeptical that a normal weld could cause a vehicle to hang up on the rocks.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 12:07 PM   #33
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

In aircract industry it is all 4130,high alloy aluminum and other exotic materials.
WHOLE DIFFERENT ANIMAL..

I'm not gonna clutter up this man's thread anymore............

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 05-01-2010, 03:23 PM   #34
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
In aircract industry it is all 4130,high alloy aluminum and other exotic materials.
WHOLE DIFFERENT ANIMAL.
Not necessarily. Lots of older tube frame aircraft are constructed mostly of mild steel, with 4130 only in critical locations. Today we use 4130 almost exclusively because there isn't enough price difference to be worth using the mild steel tubing that is only half as strong, even if that strength isn't required other than in key locations. And there isn't anything particularly special about 4130; there are just some precautions that have to be observed.

The high alloy aluminum in general can't be welded, and so is not germane to this discussion. The aluminum on aircraft that IS welded is pretty much all standard 3000 and 5000 series aluminum that is welded just like other aluminum, for fuel tanks and fairings and things of that sort. The welds for fairings generally ARE ground (or planished) smooth, but those aren't structural in the normal sense. It's more like grinding welds on bodywork smooth.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 03:56 PM   #35
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You guys have got to be KIDDING me...critisizing this person's welding and fab skills?

I've never in my years around the 4x4 sport see a weld hang on to a rock..welds are in a ROUND formation,it just slides right over the rock.

Amatuers..hobbyists and pro's ALL grind welds for several different reasons.

If a weld is 100% penetration through the thickness of the base metal,then grinding it down for appearance reasons is perfectly NORMAL and the welded area is still STRONGER then the base metal itself.

Even in structural fabrication there is reasons for grinding a welded surface down after welding...
#1 Tight clearance issues where the part will be placed
#2 for what is called in here"art work"..but really just make it look better and not a "frankenstein" peice.
#3 Holes needing filled ...or fabrication marks/scars where something was tacked onto it for fabrication..etc.

Those are just a few GOOD reasons for "professional" fabricators/welders to grind welds.

I think this guy's skid plate looks GREAT with the welds left untouched,it shows some craftsmanship and shows it's not just another store bought item.

And those "shadows' from the welds?...lol..it just means he got a good "crown" on his welds..which is EXACTLY what is required on a good weld..a nice round shaped,no undercut,no overfill weld.
If there was no shadow?..it would be too flat..concave or undercut.....all 3 being weaker welds.
Even the best smoothest welds,black paint will show ALL wrinkles in a weld pass,which is pretty much a RARE thing unless a robotic machine ran it or someone "doctored"it up before painting.

Since i ground the ends of my tubular bumpers and outside welds on them..i geuss in some opinions in here..My welding SUCKS because i decided to grind some of them for looks......
Get a GRIP,some just LOOK for something negative to say about a person's nice welds or fabrication skills in here ..too much of it going in here anymore......

Whether a person grinds a weld out for looks..or keeps the weld there ..is a personal preference

All E7018 3/32" stick ,all beveled and 1/16th gap 100 % pen..outside ground smooth,inside welds left,just showing off my "beginners welds" because i ground them

After reviewing this thread, I'm assuming I'm the one that everybody is hallucinating about me "criticizing his welds".... Wrong. Period. The welds are fine, good looking stuff for a hobbyist.. 100% of my contention here is basically disagreeing with you about the possibility of welds hanging up: I don't care how "round" they are (oh, excuse me, "crowned"), they can and will hang up. (heck, 2" DOM is round, too: hang a big loop of that down under your skid just for funsies and see if it hangs up.. Is it generally a problem? Actually, it's pretty rarely a problem. If it's on a bumper or frame member, no big deal: leaving the weld will strengthen it. Put it perpendicular to the axis of travel on a rock slider or SKIDplate, however, and it just flat-out defeats the goal... The one casting a shadow doesn't mean jack here: I just mentioned that to show just how thick that weld was: if it'll catch light, it'll catch a rock...if that's the same weld pattern that is on the center of the pan, THEY would be the ones to catch it. It's an easy problem to identify and fix: a good inside weld will make up for about anything you want to "reshape" on the outside here.. Is it going to be a problem each and every time you go wheeling? Heck no. That one time that you just HAPPEN to get a rock in just the right place where it has to freely slide over THAT POINT, the chances are real high you'll be sitting back saying "I wish I'd knocked that bead off when I had the chance."
dwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #36
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lets all clutter this man's thread up some more..doin a FINE job of it so far...

Aircraft quality materials has NOTHING to do with mild steel Jeep fabrication...and i STILL stand by my beleif and NEVERseen a little properly crowned rounded weld hold up a 3000 lb + Jeep or ANY 4x4 on a rock,hangin it up..lol...rocks are ROCKS..they crumble and fall apart...lol,,i could see if it was a 1"or more of a crown there......good job fellas...

Never forget 9/11

Unread 05-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #37
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lets all clutter this man's thread up some more..doin a FINE job of it so far...

Aircraft quality materials has NOTHING to do with mild steel Jeep fabrication...and i STILL stand by my beleif and NEVERseen a little properly crowned rounded weld hold up a 3000 lb + Jeep or ANY 4x4 on a rock,hangin it up..lol...rocks are ROCKS..they crumble and fall apart...lol,,i could see if it was a 1"or more of a crown there......good job fellas...
A) I for one never said diddly squat about aircraft materials and welding: has nothing to do with what we do here...
B) it won't hold up a jeep? Go take a class in remedial physics...
C) Oh yeah, Georgia limestone. Like butter. Let's talk granite...
dwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2010, 01:40 AM   #38
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Lets not clutter his thread with babble. Thanks.

Excellent work BTW.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 02:24 PM   #39
ZachAttack923
1997 TJ Wrangler 

what about the straps that held the stock tank in?

i personally would not like the tank able to bounce around. when a friend and i made a skid for him very similar to what you made we took 3' long 1.5in wide webbing and placed the hooks like at the end of ratchet straps on each end. than to tighten we welded a bolt to the one hook so that it is like the stock straps but nylon instead of steel.

while the tank cannot come out i would hate to have something sharp be able to get in and than have a full tank bounce and get a hole and leak.
2.5L Low Output #923
White Jeep Club #923
1997 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L AX-5 D30/35 4.10 gears
31in Wildcat A/T's
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_niko View Post
I would be as nervous as a virgin on prom night if I had to drive that
ZachAttack923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #40
jbeebe
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by devuurstorm View Post
what about the straps that held the stock tank in?

i personally would not like the tank able to bounce around.
i haven't had my straps on for about a year. no problems since then. i do a lot of wheelin. any other opinions about the necessity of the straps?
jbeebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2010, 07:33 PM   #41
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

The general rule when building them is not to eliminate the tank strap holding it in place,but to build a tank skid to protect it from rocks and debris.
I'ts much easier to remove the tank totaly so you have it out and design the skid around it for a good fit,then build/weld it up and strap the tank back in and put the new skid on over it.
Unless building the tank skid with rubber bushings between the tank and skid box secured snug to keep from rubbing holes through it

Never forget 9/11

Unread 05-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #42
TreverTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Wow,,,I have not been paying attention to this thread to see what has been going on in here! lol

First off. My welds are staying!! lol!! I maybe new to this board but trust me when I say im not new to wheeling and fabrication.

The title says "TJ Skid plate". It is ment to beat of rocks. It wasnt ment to be "pretty" as much as it is ment to be functional! Im VERY confident my welds and Im VERY confident the slight crown you see will not "hangme up". I have never heard such a thing. lol. If you were to comment on my unshaven differential you may have a case. If you look at my bumper build you will see I do smooth out my welds (and fully welded on the inside) in that type of product.

To address the gas tank straps.. They are not necessary with how I built this skid. I constructed this skid to be a very tight fit. So tight in fact It required some minor persuasion setting the tank in the skid. This was completely on purpose and by design! Also...this skid raised my tank up about 1.25" from stock which puts the tank up nice and snug against the tub. It cannot move!!
TreverTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #43
lowrollin12
1999 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Ironworker709;9385957]You guys have got to be KIDDING me...critisizing this person's welding and fab skills?

I've never in my years around the 4x4 sport see a weld hang on to a rock..welds are in a ROUND formation,it just slides right over the rock.

Amatuers..hobbyists and pro's ALL grind welds for several different reasons.

If a weld is 100% penetration through the thickness of the base metal,then grinding it down for appearance reasons is perfectly NORMAL and the welded area is still STRONGER then the base metal itself.

Even in structural fabrication there is reasons for grinding a welded surface down after welding...
#1 Tight clearance issues where the part will be placed
#2 for what is called in here"art work"..but really just make it look better and not a "frankenstein" peice.
#3 Holes needing filled ...or fabrication marks/scars where something was tacked onto it for fabrication..etc.

Those are just a few GOOD reasons for "professional" fabricators/welders to grind welds.

I think this guy's skid plate looks GREAT with the welds left untouched,it shows some craftsmanship and shows it's not just another store bought item.

And those "shadows' from the welds?...lol..it just means he got a good "crown" on his welds..which is EXACTLY what is required on a good weld..a nice round shaped,no undercut,no overfill weld.
If there was no shadow?..it would be too flat..concave or undercut.....all 3 being weaker welds.
Even the best smoothest welds,black paint will show ALL wrinkles in a weld pass,which is pretty much a RARE thing unless a robotic machine ran it or someone "doctored"it up before painting.

Since i ground the ends of my tubular bumpers and outside welds on them..i geuss in some opinions in here..My welding SUCKS because i decided to grind some of them for looks......
Get a GRIP,some just LOOK for something negative to say about a person's nice welds or fabrication skills in here ..too much of it going in here anymore......

Whether a person grinds a weld out for looks..or keeps the weld there ..is a personal preference

Well said... I am reading this going... "Wow really?"

give the guy a break, he did a nice job. **** I would be happy with it...

99 Wrangler....blah blah blah.
lowrollin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 01:29 PM   #44
lowrollin12
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreverTJ View Post
Wow,,,I have not been paying attention to this thread to see what has been going on in here! lol

First off. My welds are staying!! lol!! I maybe new to this board but trust me when I say im not new to wheeling and fabrication.

The title says "TJ Skid plate". It is ment to beat of rocks. It wasnt ment to be "pretty" as much as it is ment to be functional! Im VERY confident my welds and Im VERY confident the slight crown you see will not "hangme up". I have never heard such a thing. lol. If you were to comment on my unshaven differential you may have a case. If you look at my bumper build you will see I do smooth out my welds (and fully welded on the inside) in that type of product.

To address the gas tank straps.. They are not necessary with how I built this skid. I constructed this skid to be a very tight fit. So tight in fact It required some minor persuasion setting the tank in the skid. This was completely on purpose and by design! Also...this skid raised my tank up about 1.25" from stock which puts the tank up nice and snug against the tub. It cannot move!!
Trevor- "I" think you did a great job. I am also new to this website but not to fabrication and it is a nice skid... F the haters!

99 Wrangler....blah blah blah.
lowrollin12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #45
TreverTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks dude! Us newbies to the board got to stick together!! lol
TreverTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.