TJ Gas tank Skid - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ Gas tank Skid

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Alloy USA Still Available

Unread 04-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #16
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I know it's too late now but you could have run a bead on the inside then smoothed the outside welds with a flap disk.
You did a fine job fabbin it up going off just an idea.

wushaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 06:35 PM   #17
TreverTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I dont think the welds look bad on the outside.
TreverTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 06:04 AM   #18
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

It's just a look thing for me and "I" would have smoothed it, you like it and that's all that counts.
Unread 04-26-2010, 07:31 PM   #19
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Smoothed out welds don't hang on rocks...
dwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 08:38 PM   #20
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilliams35 View Post
Smoothed out welds don't hang on rocks...
LOL, you must be joking. Those are clean looking welds. Grinding them down would be a shame. Grinding welds is for beginner welders to cover up their butcher jobs (or body work).
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 09:44 PM   #21
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
LOL, you must be joking. Those are clean looking welds. Grinding them down would be a shame. Grinding welds is for beginner welders to cover up their butcher jobs (or body work).
A) am I right or am I wrong: will a rock grab on a weld or not? I'll guarandamntee you that it can and will.

B) yep, I was thinking the welds looked pretty clean myself: until I saw this view:

Heck, that one vertical one is casting a freakin' shadow for pete's sake: the "money" ones on the bottom don't look like that, but if they're similar, they could cause a problem.. pretty good looking welds, but that wouldn't keep them from grabbing..

Black paint can make chunky welds go away, and it can emphasize them: depends on how the light hits them... One way or another, you can certainly grind away mistakes, but you can also grind away metal that can cause a problem even on a good weld: grinders have their place.. There's no shame in using a grinder, but the better you get at welding, the less you end up having to use them... Unless you're welding pipelines or something, sooner or later you're going to need to grind off a weld or portion thereof. The point isn't to show off your beautiful welds, the point is to have a functional piece once you put the stinger or MIG gun (and the grinder) down...

One way or another, his work looks great: very clean work, great fitting, etc.. That being said, the devil's in the details, and if there's an eighth of an inch protruding weld down there, it'll grab...

Last edited by dwilliams35; 04-26-2010 at 10:02 PM..
Unread 04-26-2010, 10:53 PM   #22
lakailimited06
1999 WJ 

how do you get your welds so good on the outside edges of joining pieces? any tips? i have a hard time not burning through the metal...

the inside edges are always easier..
Unread 04-27-2010, 03:56 PM   #23
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
So any ground weld is a beginners weld? Interesting way to look at metal fabrication.
Unread 04-27-2010, 04:54 PM   #24
jgorm
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
So any ground weld is a beginners weld? Interesting way to look at metal fabrication.
No, but its not hard to tell when a weld needed to be ground, and where it was ground to cover up crappy welds. Other than body work and "art", when do you need to ground down a weld?
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2010, 06:37 PM   #25
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No, but its not hard to tell when a weld needed to be ground, and where it was ground to cover up crappy welds. Other than body work and "art", when do you need to ground down a weld?
Art for the most part, like bumper ends, skids, outside seams of a box, rosett welds, filled holes/cracks, radius edge on the back of a dump trailer so soil will slide out easier ...etc.
I'm not a weldor by trade, hobby is all and "I" like a smooth finish on the outside, I run a bead on the inside if possible and especially if it need to be structurally sound.
Unread 04-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #26
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The general practice is that welds which are structural in nature should not be ground down for reasons of appearance, because it reduces the strength. If you have to grind down a weld for reasons of fit or function, that is another matter.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #27
Brads_nky_yj

You guys are critizing his welds? Really? haha wow...
Unread 04-30-2010, 10:04 PM   #28
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netpackrat View Post
The general practice is that welds which are structural in nature should not be ground down for reasons of appearance, because it reduces the strength. If you have to grind down a weld for reasons of fit or function, that is another matter.
And in this case, it's a reason of function. You just flat-out will be better with a smooth surface on the bottom in a case like this: if that removes too much of a weld from a structural perspective, then there's always the inside...
Unread 04-30-2010, 10:06 PM   #29
dwilliams35
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads_nky_yj View Post
You guys are critizing his welds? Really? haha wow...
No, the welds are fine: we're criticizing his grinding, or more accurately the lack thereof. Keep up..
Unread 05-01-2010, 08:29 AM   #30
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

You guys have got to be KIDDING me...critisizing this person's welding and fab skills?

I've never in my years around the 4x4 sport see a weld hang on to a rock..welds are in a ROUND formation,it just slides right over the rock.

Amatuers..hobbyists and pro's ALL grind welds for several different reasons.

If a weld is 100% penetration through the thickness of the base metal,then grinding it down for appearance reasons is perfectly NORMAL and the welded area is still STRONGER then the base metal itself.

Even in structural fabrication there is reasons for grinding a welded surface down after welding...
#1 Tight clearance issues where the part will be placed
#2 for what is called in here"art work"..but really just make it look better and not a "frankenstein" peice.
#3 Holes needing filled ...or fabrication marks/scars where something was tacked onto it for fabrication..etc.

Those are just a few GOOD reasons for "professional" fabricators/welders to grind welds.

I think this guy's skid plate looks GREAT with the welds left untouched,it shows some craftsmanship and shows it's not just another store bought item.

And those "shadows' from the welds?...lol..it just means he got a good "crown" on his welds..which is EXACTLY what is required on a good weld..a nice round shaped,no undercut,no overfill weld.
If there was no shadow?..it would be too flat..concave or undercut.....all 3 being weaker welds.
Even the best smoothest welds,black paint will show ALL wrinkles in a weld pass,which is pretty much a RARE thing unless a robotic machine ran it or someone "doctored"it up before painting.

Since i ground the ends of my tubular bumpers and outside welds on them..i geuss in some opinions in here..My welding SUCKS because i decided to grind some of them for looks......
Get a GRIP,some just LOOK for something negative to say about a person's nice welds or fabrication skills in here ..too much of it going in here anymore......

Whether a person grinds a weld out for looks..or keeps the weld there ..is a personal preference

All E7018 3/32" stick ,all beveled and 1/16th gap 100 % pen..outside ground smooth,inside welds left,just showing off my "beginners welds" because i ground them

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx

Last edited by Ironworker709; 05-01-2010 at 02:45 PM..
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.