TJ Front frame rust - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ Front frame rust

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
mcb99
1997 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Front frame rust

I have some rust issues in the front frame area, directly beneath the front OEM bumper.
Its the ends of the tubular crossmember, the piece the bumper bolts thru, and some rust in the square frame rail end areas.( Sorry I dont know the exact names of these parts).
This Jeep is used as my plow and i am wondering if this area can be repaired, or fabricated . The plow frame bolts onto the end of the frame in this area and i am worried about structural integrity and stuff.I saw at Autorust fabricators they had these parts avail for a 95 wrangler but nothing for 97 as yet. Anyone have any ideas or info they can pass along? thanks

mcb99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 03:20 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Buy some steel plate and weld it on as needed to reinforce the frame rails. Fabricating some steel tube as a front bumper and welding it on the frame rails will provide extra structure and rigidity for the front portion of the frame.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 07:09 AM   #3
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Cut the rust out completely and buy some tube steel the same size as the frame rails and weld it in or use some plate to make you're own repair,as long as it is all in font of that tube crossmember in the frame you'll be fine as far as structural integrity.Just welding plate over top of a rusted area will cause more problems down the road ,plus it will be a real PITA to try and weld rust.
Just remember to use a "fish plate" as some call it if you cut the whole front tube off and tie in a new one,it is a diamond shaped plate to go over where you tied the new section of frame in to add strength to the newly welded area..

You also need to check with you're local DOT inspections,or DMV..i see you are in Illinois,if i remember correctly they are pretty strict on any frame rail repairs as to who does it,like a state certified weldor/fabricator certified for frame work in the state..not sure..but best to check n see what they're laws are on the issue

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.