TJ front bumper - stinger and winch plate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ front bumper - stinger and winch plate

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-31-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
patricknolan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

TJ front bumper - stinger and winch plate

I am planning on making a tj bumper with incorporated stinger and winch plate. While researching current market products out there, it seems like there are none that have the winch plate integrated into the 'top' of the bumper. The winch plate always seems like and extra bent piece that kind of just sits on top. Has anyone thought about just reinforcing the top panel of the bumper and welding on a front plate to mount the fairlead to?

I will be doing the design in Solidworks 2011 and posting pictures and files so that anyone can make it. The first part I will be making is the bumper mount that grabs the 3 bolt holes on either side and allows for extension of the bumper past the end of the frame rail. These pieces will probably 1/4 hot rolled steel bent on a brake.

patricknolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 09:52 PM   #2
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Like this.

Unread 08-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
patricknolan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's exactly what I was looking to do. Do you just have extra thick material at the front of the frame? I noticed some of the mass produced bumpers use mounts that grab the frame mounting holes, and then have their own set of holes for where the bumper sits.
Unread 08-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
KMD
1976 CJ7 

The winch plate part that mounts to the frame is 1/4" thick as well as the front gusset/fairlead mount. He has an anti rock so we where able to grab holes further back in the frame as well.
Unread 08-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #5
patricknolan
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMD View Post
The winch plate part that mounts to the frame is 1/4" thick as well as the front gusset/fairlead mount. He has an anti rock so we where able to grab holes further back in the frame as well.
I think it would be possible to just raise the stock sway bar up and use bigger bolts too, so long as you make sure the bolt holes will match up don't exceed the width of the frame rails.

I think I would be able to do 3/16 Hot rolled steel. Honestly I don't know if that will be strong enough to hold the winch in place. I guess I'd have to run a simulation in my cad package and see (solidworks).
Unread 08-06-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
KMD
1976 CJ7 

3/16 is more then enough. We run 1/4" to help stiffen up the frame rails.
Unread 08-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
Chris98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Look at sniperfab they make an excellent stubby
98 tj sport Aussie locked front and rear 4.10's HPD30 8.8 super short sye cv shaft 4.5 lift johnny joint adj. control arms 36in TSL's gen right hi fenders header exhaust custom rockers Solid axle covers f/r the list goes on
Leading bullet sponge for JF Call of Duty crew
X BOX GT- CHRIS98TJ
Chris98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.