TJ frame repair welding questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ frame repair welding questions.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
SkippyPB13
2000 TJ Wrangler 

TJ frame repair welding questions.

So I have the typical rotted out frame rails where the trans skid plate mounts. I picked up some 3/16" x 3" angle and some 3/16" flat to box the frame rails. I've mocked up and cut out the angle to fit then drilled and mounted nuts to the inside of the angle. Then I dropped the skid plate and knocked out and cut out the rotted bottom of the rail. I've got the drivers side cleaned up and mounted the angle into place. I've begun the welds with a Miller 135-.025 wire- 75/25 argon/co2 mix-voltage 4-wire speed around 70? and feel I'm getting good penetration on both pieces of steel.

My question is for the welding pros on here. Would I be better off breaking out my dads AC/DC stick welder or am I good to go as long as I place another row of beads along these for added strength. If the stick is a better way to go what rods would you use?

image-3203552623.jpg

image-795202440.jpg

image-3670457588.jpg

[url]www.SkippyKustoms.com[/url]
SkippyPB13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
EZBillyBA
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You should be good with what you have, I would go ahead and weld the angle in continuously though.
EZBillyBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Grind it all out and use the stick welder..... April Fools!!

Looks pretty good with the little Miller

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
Bobbyreb97
2002 TJ Wrangler 

did you weld the other side of that angle iron? same problem. Sick beads though. I tried to weld the edges of the under side and i just blew through. Too much rust.
Bobbyreb97 is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.