TJ drop tail gate? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ drop tail gate?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-02-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
theMonkeyLee

TJ drop tail gate?

I want to look in to converting my TJ's swing out tail gate to a drop one like on a truck, any info would be great....

theMonkeyLee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Swap in a CJ tailgate and hinges.. welding/drilling will be necessary but it looks good if done correctly.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #3
silvergreentj
2007 JK Wrangler 

i'll try to get a pic from my buddy who "1 tonned his tj", he just put on hinges from the inside, and ran support straps with screws to the tub, took off the rear swing away plugged the holes, and his tj tailgate now opens like a cj and locks like a tj.

it looks super simple after seeing how well his was done. as soon as i sell the hardtop a few years down the road, this will be my first change in the body

Low Life-87 slammed e30
silvergreentj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #4
4xfiend
1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you do a search on here I know that there are a few threads about this. I looked into doing this last year, but funds and time said no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
I DON'T FRIGGIN' CARE!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M
Please keep the facts to yourself; nobody here wants to hear them. This was a perfectly good internet argument until you came along with anecdotal evidence.
4xfiend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2007, 05:34 PM   #5
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Another thought:

Can one get a second lock/latch set and mount it on the passenger side? Thatway there would be two latch points when the tailgate is closed.
Unread 04-27-2007, 07:02 AM   #6
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The difficult thing to do to implement would be the latch system. A CJ gate latches from the inside, with no access from outside. Having a hard top on your Jeep makes it worse since a CJ hard top closes on top of the gate, while in a TJ, the hard top rear glass is secured by the gate (opposite). All 'CJ drop gates on a YJ/TJ' I have seen had a pretty crappy latch system, with no thought to what I mentioned above, therefore a loss of function.

I wanted a 'Jeep logo' gate (only avail in CJ mounting) on my YJ, thought through the whole thing, and decided to make the 'Jeep' gate a YJ style using the OEM YJ latch rather than fab up a latch system that would work with my hard top.

Last edited by JeeperDon; 04-28-2007 at 06:51 PM..
JeeperDon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2007, 11:29 PM   #7
360wrangler

i'd like to see pics of this?
[URL="http://www.fullcircle4x4.com/"]full circle 4x4 610-970-9977[/URL]
360wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2007, 06:56 PM   #8
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360wrangler
i'd like to see pics of this?
There is one in here at the bottom.
Unread 04-28-2007, 10:19 PM   #9
360wrangler

nice jeep!

did you make your parking brake?
parts used?
[URL="http://www.fullcircle4x4.com/"]full circle 4x4 610-970-9977[/URL]
360wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.