TJ: Ammo Can Center Console - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TJ: Ammo Can Center Console

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 03-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #1
wilburburns
2002 TJ Wrangler 

TJ: Ammo Can Center Console

I'm planning on building an Ammo Can Center Console for my TJ to provide some nice lockable storage.

What size Ammo Cans (Dimension) are others using for this. I have seen quite a few threads about this, but not many get into specifics regarding the Ammo Can.

Obviously, I will need to modify the Can to allow the E-brake to function properly. I will also have to either mod the box for the Sub, or Move the Sub to a new location (Under a seat).

Any help appreciated.

Cliff

Unread 03-06-2010, 11:29 AM   #2
mark02tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

One of the best threads on this subject appears to have been deleted. I did copy it a long time ago and saved it as a PDF. If you want me to send it to you, pm me your email address.

Most people use a 20mm can. The advantage is that it's just about the perfect height for an arm rest when you install it. The downside is that it's pretty wide. I found that a little too wide for my liking as it pinched the seat covers when I went to close it.

Also, check out this thread... ammo box storage.
You can see what I ended up doing in post #6. I went with a slightly smaller can and made a bracket to raise it up to arm rest height and to also pretty much clear the ebrake. I did have to cut a corner out of the can but I could have avoided that by using a slightly smaller (front to back) can. Overall I like my new console!!

You will have to do something with your sub if you go this route. I pulled mine out in October or so and don't really miss it. I might build a box to store it under one of the front seats (not the greatest sound quality, but I'm not sure how I'll like the bass thumping on my butt!!!) or I might flip my sound bar to get the speakers closer to my ears. I haven't decided yet.

Where in KY are you? If you decide you want a 20MM can that's already cut for the ebrake clearance, I can make you a pretty good deal. I don't want to go to the trouble of shipping the darn thing, but if you're in NKY, I might meet you somewhere north of Cincy.

Do a search on "ammo can console" and "ammo box console" and you'll find a TON of results. A lot of them are for YJ's but there are a fair amount of TJ threads on this as well. Good luck!
mark02tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
psychojeeper
1980 CJ5 

I used an ammo can for the M-249/SAW ammo boxes, it is a wider version of the .50 cal can, fit nicely between the seats. I modified a rotating gate lock for it.

I find that the 20mm cans are scarce and what people actually end up with are the cans for the star-cluster signal flares, basically the same difference being sold as 20mm. Another option is the can for the Mk-19 automatic grenade launchers 40mm belted ammo. Like the flare box, it is latched on both ends so fabbing up a hinge may be necessary depending on what you want to do with it. I have found that 4 of the flare boxes fit perfectly between the CJ's rear fender wells & I am working up ideas for a locking bracket for them.

Here are some basic measurements;

50 Cal Box - 12"L X 6"W X 7.25" H

SAW Box - 12"L X 7.5"W X 8.5"H

Flare Box - 17.5"L X 7.5"W X 14.5"H

Mk-19 Box - 18"L X 6"W X 10"H
"Built not Bought #278

Last edited by psychojeeper; 03-07-2010 at 08:55 PM..
psychojeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Where can I buy an ammo can now a days?
Unread 03-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
mark02tj
2002 TJ Wrangler 

If you don't have a local surplus store, the best prices (incl shipping) for some pretty decent cans were on armygear.net. These things are expensive to ship so you have to consider that too.

PSYCHO -
Quote:
I modified a rotating gate lock for it.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Do you have a pic or can you explain it?

THANKS!!
mark02tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
psychojeeper
1980 CJ5 

Mark,
once I find where my wife put the digital cam I'll take a few pics.
Basically it is a diamond shaped "knob" with the key-hole/lock inside of it with a matching daimond shaped opening on the latch part. I tossed the latch , used a dremmel to cut out an opening in the box latch and welded the lock portion to the box. So, unlock and rotate so the latch opens, rotate to locking position (diamonds off-set) and turn key to lock.
"Built not Bought #278
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #7
wilburburns
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Mark,
PM Sent..

Psycho,
I'd love to see the latch/lock pics also. Sounds interesting.

Alex,
Try Gun shows also. I was at one a couple of weeks ago, and there were a pretty good selection at decent prices, but didn't require any shipping, which as mentioned is expensive. But, keep in mind, it will likely cost to get in.

Cliff
Unread 03-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
psychojeeper
1980 CJ5 

Ok,
got the pics

in the open position.

Closed position

Closed and locked

With this particular lock the key can be removed once unlocked and locks automatically once rotated into the locked position. I cut the opening a bit longer to allow for clearance.

Hope this helps,
John
"Built not Bought #278
Unread 03-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #9
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

Nice !! Well done !!

Thanks
prd_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #10
wilburburns
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Psycho,

I like it. Do you have any links to where to purchase that lock? I'm currently looking online, but "rotating Gate Lock" is not getting me anything close to what you installed.

Thanks again,
Cliff
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #11
CJ258
1974 CJ5 

I cut mine and welded in a piano hinge so I wouldn't have to pull the whole lid back to get to the stereo or CB.
I really like psychojeepers latch. May have to do the same to mine in the future. I put this together 8 or 9 yrs. ago. Anyway, food for thought.

CJ258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:04 PM   #12
Sgt.Fuzz
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ258 View Post
I cut mine and welded in a piano hinge so I wouldn't have to pull the whole lid back to get to the stereo or CB.
I really like psychojeepers latch. May have to do the same to mine in the future. I put this together 8 or 9 yrs. ago. Anyway, food for thought.

That looks really good....way to think outside the box (pun intended)!
Unread 03-09-2010, 05:15 PM   #13
GroceryGetter01
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here are some pics from my build tread with my ammo can. I have more pics at my home computer I could post if anyone would wanna see more.

The Ammo Can!

Took some measurements

And the cutting begain

Mounted a U bolt to the front and rear for pad locks

The finished product.

I also mounted a old camo cushion to the top of it to add a little padding for an arm rest
Yellow Jeep Club Member #802
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
Load up all the recovery gear!!!!
We're goin' to the "MALL"

-Jason
GroceryGetter01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #14
psychojeeper
1980 CJ5 

I got the lock at Lowes, Home Depot, etc will probably have somthing similar.

Good luck, John
"Built not Bought #278
Unread 03-15-2010, 10:33 AM   #15
wilburburns
2002 TJ Wrangler 

OK, I just ordered my 20mm Ammo Can from Shop for Army Navy Surplus and More at Army Surplus World for a decent price. $15.99 + Shipping (approx $13)

I hope to get some pics once I get it installed and completed.

With Top Off Weather just around the corner, it will be nice to have some decent lockable storage.

Cliff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.