Tire carrier spindle sheered off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Tire carrier spindle sheered off

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 01-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #1
WoodyHD
1983 CJ7 

Tire carrier spindle sheered off

So I'm cruising down the highway on my way to school today and I hear a bang behind me and look back to see my spare tire carrier falling off. It bounced off the tire and took it's place right in the middle of the left lane. Luckily no one hit it and I was able to pull it off the road and get it back in the jeep. Needless to say, I'm pissed. It's a good thing no one was tailgating me this mourning.

Link to the spindle I used here.
1" thick and 1.25" where it goes though the bumper. Drilled hole for it with my neighbors magnetic drill press and welded top and bottom.

I don't think I had too much weight on the carrier. The tire is around 87 lbs and I have it pulled as far in as I can. I don't know how much that high lift weighs. The A frame can't be much more than 35 lbs.

I'm thinking now to just grind out what's left and weld in the same spindle. Maybe I can give that guy enough crap to send me one free. Doubt it though. I see now where I can get a 1 1/2" spindle, but I'm not sure I'd be able to open up that hole and still be able to weld it straight.

Edit: Maybe I could go get the 1 1/2" spindle or even the 1 3/4 and have the machine shop down the road from me cut the part down that goes in the bumper. I'm thinking that might be the best way to go about it.

WoodyHD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

Atozfabrication.com has a heavy duty spindle. Their light duty one says max 31" tire

in the works: lp30 + 8.8 build to 4.88s + wj swap
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

I like using the 1 3/8" diameter (at the bearing surface) "Type 84" spindle. It's 1.75" where it welds to the top of the bumper (the part that the seal rides on), and has a 1.5" diameter shank (part down in the bumper). They also have a nice big radius where they neck down from 1.75" to 1.375" for the bearings.
Conversely, those smaller spindles are only 1" diameter where the bearings ride.. necking up to 1.25" where they are welded to the top of the bumper. You used Comp4x4's 1" spindle. You know they also sell the larger 1 3/8" spindle kit as well.

I've never had one of the "Type 84s" fail.

Also, just as important as the pivot end.. is the latch end. Was the latch locking the end of the arm "solid"? Also, you don't want too much of a gap under the latch end, that the latch pulls the end down more than about 1/16"-1/8" when you lock the latch closed. Otherwise, you're flexing that spindle everytime you lock/unlock the latch... eventually work hardening the spindle at its base.

As for removal. If you welded the spindle at the top/bottom of the bumper, you should be able to just grind the welds down and probably pound the spindle thru the bumper with a large hammer/punch. Maybe grind the top part down flush with the bumper, then use a 1.25" dia hole saw to cut most of the weld away..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

that sucks. this is the part i dont really get about the atoz mega duty spindle. the part that the bearings ride on looks like the same size as the standard one they offer.
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 08:50 PM   #5
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I would be curious to see what the crack looks like. Is the area rusty like it was cracked for awhile or all at once.
Was the spindle for a bicycle trailer? Ha-Ha. You had a whole lot less weight than a loaded snow mobile trailer. It should have bent a long time before shearing off.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same thing happen to mine about a year and a half ago...it was also a 1" spindle kit i bought local at a trailer parts place...

I've since replaced it with a 1 3/8" spindle kit.

The rocking back and forth with a heavy wheel and tire that far up has alot more force/leverage than most think...and those spindles are made of a hardened steel..which means it will break before it bends when it's put passed it's capacity.

The thing that helps most people's designs is the if they put a latch at the other end that helps the tube directly to the spindle from twisting so much....that was my mistake with the one off latch i built for mine and mine is made of round pipe,i'll be adding a sqaure design to mine to help prevent the rocking back and forth and twisting motion at the spindle side.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
jamesdart
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

AtoZ advertises that the mega duty spindle is made from 4140 cromoly. i used that one, im going to be pissed if it falls the hell off.
jamesdart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #8
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Wow, I hope I bought the big one. I don't remember now. I think it was the smaller one.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

I use the 1 3/4" spindle kit from Comp4x4 that BESRK mentioned.

http://www.comp4x4.com/Tire-Carrier-...4-Spindle.html

They list them on their site for 84.95 and 10 bucks shipping, but you can find them on ebay for 84.95 shipped. I opted to go as large as possible on the one of only two spots a carrier can fail. (hinge and latch)
Unread 01-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
roadhog304
1973 CJ5 

i also used comp 4x4 spindle kit but i went with the double shear mount. I am not sure which weight capacity i used. So far no problems. I have a lot of weight on mine. on top of the tire i have a beer cooler mounted on a receiver tube inside the center of the wheel. I have no idea how heavy it is but when it is filled with ice and drinks it is heavy.
Unread 01-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #11
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

First off, Sorry about the failure. It's never convienent when something like that happens. I'm glad no one was injured and you got your stuff back. But still, never a good time.

I've heard about spindles failing. It seems to be due to a couple of factors. The first is the rapid heating and cooling during welding. Pre-heating and a slow cool down makes the spindle less susceptible to fracturing. The second is fatigue. Your bumber/swing-out looks well built, I'm amazed it broke in this manner.
Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.