Tire carrier spindle - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Tire carrier spindle

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 02-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #16
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00JGC00 View Post
I just bought a comp 4x4 HD spindle and man that thing is big. Can someone tell me in what order is best to install and assemble these things? I have two 2x2 bars for the top and bottom arms that the hinge will weld to. I'm thinking I take the bottom sleeve and weld that to the bottom arm with the spindle inside so that if the sleeve warps, I'm not screwed. Then take the top sleeve and weld that to the top arm and then try to assemble it after the top sleeve is welded and the bottom sleeve/spindle are welded? It'd be easier to have it all assembled when welding the top half, but I'm afraid the internals wouldn't handle the heat. Thoughts?
I tacked my sleeve into the bumper first with the spindle installed squared to the top of the bumper, removed spindle then burned sleeve in, I also drilled some holes into the each side of the bumper for some rosette welds prior to installing the sleeve.

I then put the spindle in and assembled the spindle and fitted the swing arm to it at the height I wanted then tacked it on and disassemble the spindle and burned it on.

I took my time and measured everything carefully, it works great.

wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #17
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just bought a comp 4x4 HD spindle and man that thing is big. Can someone tell me in what order is best to install and assemble these things? I have two 2x2 bars for the top and bottom arms that the hinge will weld to. I'm thinking I take the bottom sleeve and weld that to the bottom arm with the spindle inside so that if the sleeve warps, I'm not screwed. Then take the top sleeve and weld that to the top arm and then try to assemble it after the top sleeve is welded and the bottom sleeve/spindle are welded? It'd be easier to have it all assembled when welding the top half, but I'm afraid the internals wouldn't handle the heat. Thoughts?
I cut the hole in the bumper, and welded in that sleeve, cut the swing arm and welded that sleeve. Pressed the spindle into the lower sleeve, assembled bearings etc. in upper sleeve on the swing, put everything together.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #18
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

wushaw, I think you pretty much answered my question, but I want to be sure.

Here is the pic of the actual hinge and what I'm calling the top/upper and bottom/lower sleeves:

Here is what my hinge should look like when it's all done:

So if I'm understanding you all correctly, this is what I should do:

Comp 4x4 said that you should weld the lower sleeve with the spindle inside because that will pressure fit it in there. After welding, the spindle would be very difficult to remove...

So once it's in there, it's in there in other words.

Do I have that right? It seems kind of like common sense, but I wasn't sure if any of the internal assembly with the seals and stuff needed to be done in a certain order that would mandate installing the components in a certain order as well.

Thanks again for the help and sorry to threadjack!
Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #19
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The steps are correct, just follow that and it will work just fine. Just one word of caution place your ground clamp on the arm side of the upper sleeve so current does not pass through the bearings when tacking the arm to the upper sleeve.
Unread 02-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #20
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wushaw View Post
The steps are correct, just follow that and it will work just fine. Just one word of caution place your ground clamp on the arm side of the upper sleeve so current does not pass through the bearings when tacking the arm to the upper sleeve.
As opposed to hooking it on the upper sleeve? I would think putting the ground clamp on the arm would be easier and out of the way anyway, so cool. Thanks for the help! I hope it works out. I just have to weld on the hinge and the latch and it's all done!
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
Unread 02-07-2011, 05:02 AM   #21
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
As opposed to hooking it on the upper sleeve? I would think putting the ground clamp on the arm would be easier and out of the way anyway, so cool. Thanks for the help! I hope it works out. I just have to weld on the hinge and the latch and it's all done!
I think I said to put the ground clamp on the arm...didn't I
Unread 02-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #22
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant to say - that putting it on the arm as you suggested makes sense.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.