Tire carrier spindle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Tire carrier spindle

Thanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O2" Lift Kits for JK, TJ, XJ, WJ~$125.00 w/free shippi

Unread 01-12-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
codybutz
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Tire carrier spindle

Hey I'm looking for a spindle that i can buy to use in my tire carrier build. I have seen some sites that sell them but of course I never book marked them. Does anybody have one they have used and liked? also what did you guys use to latch your tire carriers closed? lockable? thanks - Cody

codybutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

A to Z fabrication, which is a vendor on here. Possibly member BESRK who makes bumpers and has the best thread on here. Check out his builds: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/r...-along-101332/
Unread 01-12-2011, 04:15 PM   #3
codybutz
2001 XJ Cherokee 

YA thanks i just found that build thread, that's exactly what i was looking for but for some reason I cant pull up that page where he got his swing out latch from. thanks again.
Unread 01-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #4
jharvey615
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Check out competition 4x4 ordered the 1000 lb spindle pure beef for I think 64.95 it comes with a few extras for setting up the height and easy removal.
Unread 01-12-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

The latch is from McMaster Carr.. part#5071A62 .

Price is about $48 now.. I may have to hit up Amazon for some of the better prices.

A to Z is the place to hit up for the spindle kit. I used to sell them but it's just too hard for me to keep up with selling them AND making them for my own bumpers. Occasionally, I'll have one sitting around and if the timing is right (like Lou found out.. ) I'll sell one. However, don't have any to sell at the moment.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #6
codybutz
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hey besrk, is there any way I could get you to fab me up one of those sick spindles with the alum. cap and the swing out arm made from 2x3 tube,? I could get you the exact measurement I need. I would be putting it on a bumper i already have made.
Unread 01-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #7
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Amazon.com has the best prices on the latch. Just Search De Sta Co 341-R. I'm currently getting them for about $36 and they usually somehow qualify for free shipping.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharvey615 View Post
Check out competition 4x4 ordered the 1000 lb spindle pure beef for I think 64.95 it comes with a few extras for setting up the height and easy removal.
That's the one I got too. I like it because you don't have to weld the spindle itself. http://www.comp4x4.com/
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I also have the comp4x4 1750lb spindle. You dont weld the spindle but atleast for me, the sleeve warped soo bad that I had to make sure the spindle was in the sleeve where I wanted it before welding or I would of never been able to get it in.

No problems so far, its very heavy duty.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-13-2011, 06:58 AM   #10
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by codybutz View Post
Hey besrk, is there any way I could get you to fab me up one of those sick spindles with the alum. cap and the swing out arm made from 2x3 tube,? I could get you the exact measurement I need. I would be putting it on a bumper i already have made.

Actually, I don't have any made at the moment. Keep in mind, I crank these out on a manual lathe. Takes me a good 45 minutes to make one. Because of that, it's all I can do at the moment just to keep up with making them for my own bumpers.

I'd suggest hitting up A to Z Fab.. Zach is a Vendor here on the forum and has the "Mega Spindle" which has a solid track record.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 01-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
yellow85cj
1985 CJ7 

You might try Comp4x4.

I got the 1000lb version. Like the idea of the sleeve for the spindle. Showed up quickly, as shown on the site and very reasonable freight.

They also have a double shear version if you like.

http://comp4x4.com/Tire_Carrier_Hinge_Kits.html
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #12
webdog
DirtBound Offroad

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BESRK View Post
I'd suggest hitting up A to Z Fab.. Zach is a Vendor here on the forum and has the "Mega Spindle" which has a solid track record.
Recently I have been looking and trying different spindles for bumpers I make and for sure the A to Z Mega is the best one I have used.
webdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #13
Griff97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I used this kit http://www.emsoffroad.com/store/inde...roducts_id=181 It was considerably more to get the pieces individually.
Griff97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2011, 04:17 PM   #14
00JGC00
2000 WJ 

I just bought a comp 4x4 HD spindle and man that thing is big. Can someone tell me in what order is best to install and assemble these things? I have two 2x2 bars for the top and bottom arms that the hinge will weld to. I'm thinking I take the bottom sleeve and weld that to the bottom arm with the spindle inside so that if the sleeve warps, I'm not screwed. Then take the top sleeve and weld that to the top arm and then try to assemble it after the top sleeve is welded and the bottom sleeve/spindle are welded? It'd be easier to have it all assembled when welding the top half, but I'm afraid the internals wouldn't handle the heat. Thoughts?
Utah JeepCrew #39 | Club Matt #1
December '11 GCOTM | Build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/life-times-979511/
00JGC00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2011, 06:34 PM   #15
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00JGC00 View Post
I just bought a comp 4x4 HD spindle and man that thing is big. Can someone tell me in what order is best to install and assemble these things? I have two 2x2 bars for the top and bottom arms that the hinge will weld to. I'm thinking I take the bottom sleeve and weld that to the bottom arm with the spindle inside so that if the sleeve warps, I'm not screwed. Then take the top sleeve and weld that to the top arm and then try to assemble it after the top sleeve is welded and the bottom sleeve/spindle are welded? It'd be easier to have it all assembled when welding the top half, but I'm afraid the internals wouldn't handle the heat. Thoughts?
I'm not picturing this "top/bottom" sleeve? Can you take some pics. It is important to get this correct as it will determine where your latch end of the arm ends up in relation to the bumper. Warp it one way and the arm sits an inch off the bumper.. warp it the other way and the arm hits the bumper when closing.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.