tire carrier latch won't stay closed - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > tire carrier latch won't stay closed

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #1
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

tire carrier latch won't stay closed

i bought a detasco latch from comp4x4 and had my buddy weld it on this weekend, we put it on just like every other one i've ever seen but it rattles loose and today the arm swung open on me going down the road, its tight and takes some pressure to close it but pops right open with just the touch of a finger, anyone have this issue or know of a way to fix it?

this is the latch i bought
http://www.comp4x4.com/LATCH-KIT-De-...amp-Latch.html

now i think i may see my mistake, they also sell a latch with a locking mech. but its twice the cost

Unread 04-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

I have the same latch you do without the "locking" option. Mine has never been an issue. you can play with the angles a little bit where it goes a little past center so the pressure actually holds the handle down. you will need to shim something to make this happen.

when I am doing some serious wheeling I put a tarp ball bungie on the handle for extra security. Ill try to take a picture of how mine is setup later today
sherlocktk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

I think we welded it too far apart and i'm gonna look for a longer u bolt to replace that one but i think what i'm gonna do which will be the easiest and cheapest will be to weld a tab to the carrier arm so i can drop a pin thru the handle to lock it in
Unread 04-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

When it locks closed, it has to "overcenter" all the way. Otherwise, it'll pop open.

I'd look at the "height" of the hook. If it's not on the same mounting plane as the latch base, you're not overcentering enough.

You might consider swapping that regular 341 latch, for the 341-R latch. It has the "Toggle Plus" trigger to keep it closed.. preventing accidental opening. Costs about $10 more than the regular latch.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
kjg26
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Where do you see see it for 10 more. I'm seeing more like 40 more.
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
mustangwarrior
2001 WJ 

Heres how i have mine on, the bungee is so if it pops open, you guys see anything wrong with how its on there?
image-4138316642.jpg   image-2266244551.jpg  
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg26 View Post
Where do you see see it for 10 more. I'm seeing more like 40 more.
McMasterCarr.. Part #5071A62 .... $44.63 plus shipping

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.