Tips re: relocating and welding motor mount perches? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Tips re: relocating and welding motor mount perches?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
Alheim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Tips re: relocating and welding motor mount perches?

G'morning all,

So I'm making great headway with my 2.5L to 4.0L swap in my '95 YJ. I'm finally ready to set the new motor in the engine bay. As you may know, installing the 4.0 requires relocating the motor mount perches (moving them towards the front).

I have carefully and cleanly removed the existing perches, and prepped them up real nice so that they fit cleanly over the frame rail. All rust & paint has been removed, and I'm ready to weld with my MIG.

I have the engine hanging from an engine lift with a motor leveler, and have it as level as possible.

I plan to move the motor/trans/xfer case into position and align front/rear using the transmission mount (cross member) bolt holes. I also was planning to measure from the center of the crankshaft to each of the frame rails to center the motor left/right.

Any suggestions regarding how to make this easier and to get it right on the first attempt? Once the motor is nearly in position, do I just lower it until the perches sit firmly on the frame rails, and tack it into position?

I really only want to do this once and don't want to spend all weekend on it, so any tips are appreciated. Cheers.

Alheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Jason
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I did it similarly for my 2.5 --> 5.9 swap. My 5.9 mounts were different, but the process is about the same. I carefully cut the old mounts off (didn't reuse them, but they could be reused), then fixed any nicks on the frame from cutting. I positioned the new mounts and held them in tightly with clamps, moved the engine into place and finished aligning the mounts. I put a tack on on each corner of the mount, then re-checked the alignment. If there was a change needed, I would have done it here, but there wasn't so I burned them in.

It sounds simple, but I pulled the engine out and put it back in about 50 times before I burned them in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
We're men! We don't need no stinkin directions!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.