Tig welding question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Tig welding question

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 03-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Tig welding question

I am new to tig welding so bear with me,being so new I will need a ton of practice and I know that.What I am wondering is say I make tac welds with a mig can I go through and TIG weld them after or will the area e "contaminated" to much to tig weld it after?

Machinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2014, 08:21 PM   #2
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

What type of mig? Flux will interfere with your TIG setup. I pretty much TIG everything we do at work. I would go for it and see, personally I prefer the TIG to all other welding processes anyways.
Unread 03-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #3
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Miller 211 running mix gas.I will do a few tests tomorrow and post up some pics.Just started tig welding so don't laugh to hard!!lOL
Unread 03-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You can tack with a mig and then tig over top of it when you go to finish the weld with no issues. Flux core welding isn't mig welding meatlord. Not trying to be an ***, I just don't want any confusion for the OP.
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo-Slice View Post
You can tack with a mig and then tig over top of it when you go to finish the weld with no issues. Flux core welding isn't mig welding meatlord. Not trying to be an ***, I just don't want any confusion for the OP.
I have used many wire feed setups with flux core wire on the same machine without the gas. Guess I did not specify that.
Unread 03-20-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
Machinist
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yea I did it the other day and didn't see any problems.I actually took some .045 mig wire and ran a tig weld with it tonight just to see.Worked decent enough for me right now
Unread 03-21-2014, 04:59 PM   #7
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've TIGed over MIG tacks, doesn't seem to be a problem. I imagine you could probably TIG over a flux core tack as well, so long as you chip off all of the slag and wire wheel/brush it good? I've not tried it though.
Unread 03-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #8
AtTheHelm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist
Yea I did it the other day and didn't see any problems.I actually took some .045 mig wire and ran a tig weld with it tonight just to see.Worked decent enough for me right now
Here's a trick I've seen before: if you're out of tig rods, take a length of mig wire, fold it in half and twist it up tight with a drill. Bam tig rod in a pinch.
AtTheHelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #9
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheHelm View Post
Here's a trick I've seen before: if you're out of tig rods, take a length of mig wire, fold it in half and twist it up tight with a drill. Bam tig rod in a pinch.
Nice!

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #10
Kenbo-Slice
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheHelm View Post
Wire hangers work shockingly well too. They are made out of such a mishmash of metals that they work on damn-near anything in a pinch. I personally wouldn't do any critical welding with one but for an at-home repair or an emergency they are great. Try running a few beads with one for S+G's.
Kenbo-Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:53 PM   #11
RenoF250
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbo-Slice View Post
Wire hangers work shockingly well too. They are made out of such a mishmash of metals that they work on damn-near anything in a pinch. I personally wouldn't do any critical welding with one but for an at-home repair or an emergency they are great. Try running a few beads with one for S+G's.
They are pretty hard and usually have that nasty coating on them. Why not bailing wire instead? Crappy steel also but no coating and softer.
RenoF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 09:58 PM   #12
XJTexas

A friend uses his torch rig to take that nasty coating off of coat hangers when he needs one. Just get it red hot for a second but don't breath the fumes as who knows what that stuff is??? Probably OK for general repairs but not structural welds IMHO. We mainly use ER-70S & ER-80S rods on 4130 metals.
XJTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.