TIG Welder: Best brands? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > TIG Welder: Best brands?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFLASH SALE! Open thread to reveil the Newest Sale @ ROCKRIFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-22-2011, 10:08 AM   #1
Chace365
1999 XJ Cherokee 

TIG Welder: Best brands?

Title says it all.
Looking for one that will run off of 220(volts). Any suggestions as to a reliable brand?

Chace365 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2011, 10:27 AM   #2
rosco1

pretty much the ford/chebby/dodge debate. do a little research on what options you want ( theres actually alot; $ being the factor of course). go name brand obviously, no harbor freight garbage.

miller, hobart, lincoln, craftsman, etc
Unread 05-22-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
SunDevilJeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

whats wrong with harbor freight? i've never used any of their stuff before... is it like smittybilt?
Unread 05-22-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
rosco1

cheaply, CHEAPLY, made cheeno products. some of its ok, but most of it aint
Unread 05-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevilJeeper View Post
whats wrong with harbor freight? i've never used any of their stuff before... is it like smittybilt?
HF junk = Clarke.

HF welders are crap.

Go with Miller, Lincoln or Hobart. Some will add ESAB. If you say "I can't afford that", then we'll tell you to keep saving your money.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #6
KMD
1976 CJ7 

Best bang for the buck right now is probably a miller diversion 165 or 185. Under $2000 and can do a/c and d/c. So that covers all metals. Up from that would be one of the lincoln models I beloeve they are called rangers or something like that. Lincolns are supposed to have a more stable arc from what I have read.

I went with the diversion 165 and am very happy with it so far. For the work I do I really like the finger tip controll.
Unread 05-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #7
SunDevilJeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosco1 View Post
cheaply, CHEAPLY, made cheeno products. some of its ok, but most of it aint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
HF junk = Clarke.

HF welders are crap.

Go with Miller, Lincoln or Hobart. Some will add ESAB. If you say "I can't afford that", then we'll tell you to keep saving your money.
so basically the smittybilt of welders...
Unread 05-23-2011, 12:06 AM   #8
jclauson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I always used a square wave lincoln TIG, I have only used a miller TIG a handful of times and it was good too. I am not partial at all to welder brands but I am positive that a HF tig would suck a big one.

When I have a shop my first purchase will be a Lincoln Square Wave 175. I currently weld with a Forney Wire feed and a Lincoln stick arc, and i really miss TIG welding.... Every couple weeks I have the blessing of using a Millermatic 220 wire feed.

If you are buying a TIG welder you are obviously trying to produce quality welds, so buy a quality welder.

check it out
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/hysterias-90-yj-build-1190617/
jclauson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 12:12 AM   #9
jclauson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
so basically the smittybilt of welders...
sometimes I think smittybilt has HF welders in their factory... lol

check it out
Unread 05-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #10
SunDevilJeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclauson View Post
sometimes I think smittybilt has HF welders in their factory... lol
mind if i sig?
Unread 05-23-2011, 01:40 AM   #11
Tural
1999 XJ Cherokee 

are you looking for a compact unit, or full size? what are you planning on welding with it? why tig? how much experience do you have with tig?
Tural is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 02:00 AM   #12
jclauson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
mind if i sig?
At least your asking lol, one time I saw myself quoted in someones Sig and it caught me off guard. Of course you can Sig

check it out
Unread 05-23-2011, 03:54 AM   #13
Alkaline
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have extensive experience using these three on a near daily basis

Miller Maxstar 150stl:
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...p?model=M00152
Awesome little welder! It does very surprisingly good welds on 110v, and can also run on 220v (though I've never had to use it 220v yet). Lift-arc isn't my favorite starting style, but I use this machine as my outside of the shop welder, and I like not having to drag around a pedal as well. An all around great little welder that has done some quality welds for me, all the while being as portable as it gets and being able to plug in anywhere.

Lincoln Square wave 175:
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...478-5/e335.pdf
A so-so welder in my opinion. It is our shops main fab table welder. Performance is adequate, but I've used better, more stable arcing machines. It's seen better days, and has several recurring issues due to a long work history, so I can't really give it a negative review. I just wouldn't buy one myself until I had a chance to see what one can do new.

Miller Syncrowave 250:
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...rowave_250_dx/
This is the main welder at my alternate shop. It is a really versatile machine, capable of most any TIG/stick needs. The perfomance is as solid as I've ever seen, great welding! My only complaint has nothing to do with any quality or performance, it's because it has fully tuneable controls for everything on it..... which means the lesser experienced guys who occasionally use it always try to blame the setup for their shabby welds, and start turning knobs and flipping switches until they give up and call it a POS. I sometimes even have to lock it out to keep certain people from using it......

'98 TJ (toy), '91 XJ Briarwood(DD)
Alkaline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 08:23 AM   #14
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I know someone "personaly" who has a low hours Miller Maxstar 200DX TIG/Stick machine that will be going up on craigslist and eBay soon ,its the "topdog" of the Maxstars.. if you're interested PM me ,best TIG machine i've used in years but need a bigger amp machine and a LN-25 portable for my new biz i started for semi retirement,bein a brother Jeep guy you'll get it for less than 1/2 the new price.I'll throw in a brand new Flexhead TIG rig with it for you only too and ship it to you for free.

And no i'm not trying to advertize free,,this is an offer for a jeepforum buddy only to help him out,i can get alot more if i put it up on eBay or other places...........

If wanting brand new then the Miller Diversion is probably a good buy for the price to learn on,any Lincoln, Hobart and ESAB,when it comes to a TIG machine most of them are going to be in the same price ranges as far what you get.
Don't get sucked into buying any of those Everlast chinese machines or any of the likings,those are all the same machines under different seller's names and they have problems with them and the biggest failure is when you need a part you can't just run down to a local store and buy it,you'll have to a week or more for it be mailed to you.

Miller and Lincoln are the most well known to be local just about anywhere and have consumables and parts on hand,check around and see what you're local weld supply shops are dealing with and i would go with what they are dealers of just so you have access to parts and consumables when needed.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #15
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have had the Lincoln Square Wave Tig 175 for over 10 years, and it works just fine. Mine is the original version; the later units have more features and adjustability that would be nice to have. The gas flow settings are non adjustable, and set up for a worst case scenario, so must of the time you end up using a little more gas than you might otherwise need to. But other than that it's a great little machine, and at the time it was purchased, it was the best unit in its class, better than the "Econotig" that Miller was making at the time. Nowadays I'd buy whatever current production Lincoln or Miller I could get the best price on.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.