tig or mig 4130 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 10-03-2011, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
tig or mig 4130

so i was talking to my contractor the other day about an up coming job welding an item that is 4130 and will be machined to fit a pressed in piece of round stock. the only welding will be around the end where the round is pressed about 1/8-5/32 (havent looked at the specs yet) past the plate. the weld bead cant go over the flat end of the round stock. he wants me to run hard wire, obviously for speed, but i still think i should tig it, maybe walk the cup or something. i've been welding for a few years now and have done primarily 304 stainless and 6061 aluminum, so i'm pretty comfortable with tig. just lookin for any input other welders out there have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 10-03-2011, 01:11 PM
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

With your tig experience, 4130 will be easy it's not much different than mild steel (if any) process wise. I weld 4130 tube quite often... more than any other I'd say.

I vote TIG. But the best advise is to use what process you're most comfortable with.

~Steve~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowdogMarc
YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today
post #3 of 15 Old 10-03-2011, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
i am far more comfortable with tig. it's pretty much the only process i've used in the last 4 months. what filler would i use???? 308??? i know the wire he wants to use is the same one i've used on stailess before

post #4 of 15 Old 10-03-2011, 02:33 PM
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

A good read on 4130 and reasons NOT to use stainless fillers by a guy who has wrote articles for AWS.....

It also explains the reasons i preach so often to make any weld with a "crown" instead of making those flat "pretty welds" all the time but most think its ok because it looks "pretty"...
Welding 4130

Don't DREAM your life, LIVE your dreams

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 10-03-2011, 02:44 PM
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

TIG. Unless the item is going to be heat treated after welding, use a mild steel filler. I usually use ER70S6, but S2 works well also.
post #6 of 15 Old 10-03-2011, 06:39 PM
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've always used ER80S-D2 or the previously mentioned 70 series mild steel rods

~Steve~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowdogMarc
YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today
post #7 of 15 Old 10-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Abaddon
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
A good read on 4130 and reasons NOT to use stainless fillers by a guy who has wrote articles for AWS.....

It also explains the reasons i preach so often to make any weld with a "crown" instead of making those flat "pretty welds" all the time but most think its ok because it looks "pretty"...
Welding 4130
LMAO pretty dont always mean its strong lol

welding 4130 ive always preheated and used ER70S-2
post #8 of 15 Old 10-04-2011, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
awesome, thanks for the input. the no stainless on 4130 is a bit new to me, i always heard both ways. but after reading the link a bit i understand why. thanks again
post #9 of 15 Old 10-07-2011, 01:45 AM
jeepfreek383

4130 welded to what round stock, carbon steel = waste of time weld it with hard wire mig its obviously not that critical end same results. . or they would have a different procedure and tell you what you need to do .. not have their welder asking on an internet jeep forum. most tig weld develope a concave apperance by nature and can only be made convex with more passes and equal more wire.if its that important use a fillet gage are we still in the jeep fab forum? fing me a picture of guys laying convex welds with tig .u cant their concave with the right amount of toe leg and throat..
post #10 of 15 Old 10-07-2011, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
wow, cranky. who s*** in your cheerios this morning
post #11 of 15 Old 10-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Well, that's certainly an alternate point of view, to weigh against the opinions of a few guys who are professional welders/fabricators, a couple guys who are aircraft welders using the material in question (with some overlap), etc.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-09-2011, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Ended up using tig

"Idaho sucks!!!! Tell California"
post #13 of 15 Old 12-10-2011, 01:06 AM
jeepfreek383

this thread came up in my email so i checked back on it. i think it was jack daniels in my cheerios that morning to be honest, sorry. all i meant was the piece is already pressed in so the weld is just there like reinforcement or a stop to keep it from backing out if it wore. thats what i gather from your disc. .anyway. its not that important for your application to do anything special, just get some weld on there to hold it maybe thats why your boss said to mig it. .but there are situations that require certain procedures be in place for welding 4130 and some were posted by the other members.
post #14 of 15 Old 12-18-2011, 07:03 AM
snofrog

did you pre/post heat the joint ?
post #15 of 15 Old 01-25-2012, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
jaspepp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Not really. Just kept the pieces in front of a big propane heater to knock the chill off them. So now that I think about it, I guess maybe a little preheat. Definitely not over 150*. No post heat. Just flopped them on a cart next to others. Everything turned out just fine. Used a 1/16" 70 series rod

"Idaho sucks!!!! Tell California"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.