Tie Rod vs. Track Bar....who will win? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Tie Rod vs. Track Bar....who will win?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 03-10-2011, 10:41 PM   #1
rizingf3nix
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Tie Rod vs. Track Bar....who will win?

The patient: 97 TJ with Skyjacker 6" longarm lift and 35" tires.

The issue: Trackbar bolt and tie rod end are meeting.

Provoked by: Adjusting the +10 caster back to +5 caster. Can't go back either, as the two components were already too close. Going to have to fix this one quick before there is a meltdown.

Options so far:
1. Rebuild the track bar bracket (running out of room already from the diff truss).
2. Replace the tie rod end with a heim joint (don't really want to drill out my drag link).
3. Replace the track bar end with a heim joint (wow...that's alot of work).
4. Replace the stock TJ drag link and tie rod with stock ZJ components and see if new hardware affords a little space (cool but kinda pricey).

I need some help deciding on this one. Any thoughts on the options or other options? Also, I'm not a master fabricator, but know how to do a little welding and have a saw. I can Bridgeport like nobody's business, but I'm short the Bridgeport, so simplicity wins the day.

Pics to follow

rizingf3nix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #2
rizingf3nix
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/RizingF...eat=directlink
Unread 03-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #3
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Why not move the track bar mounting?? Yes it would require you to do some cutting and welding. But on the KISS program seems to be the easiest to do.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
rizingf3nix
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well, space in that area is at a serious premium. It's tucked right next to the coil spring on one side, and the diff truss on the other. I have about 1/2 of shift going backwards, but where the bold is, it would require the bar to be shortened in order to get it past the spring.

I was talking to someone today at our local tie rod shop (Rod End Supply http://www.rodendsupply.com). The tie rod is stock, so aftermarket tie rods for it are rare because of the 11/16 shaft size, but they directed me to Speedway Motors in Lincoln - http://www.speedwaymotors.com. They sell a stud kit that fits into a tapered hole. Rod End Supply has a radial riviter that can swedge the stud into the bie rod end, and I can convert the rest of the tie rod to non-stock.

In the mean time, I cut a notch into the bolt so the tie rod doesn't continually rest on the head. Not a long term solution, since there is still a minor amount of contact, but I'll probably end up converting the tie rod to custom with heim joints.

If I win the lottery, I'll convert to an HD sterring solution.
Unread 03-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #5
rizingf3nix
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So as an update, after setting the caster on the front end to the correct setting, I *enjoyed* a day of driving my jeep with no forward tracking whatsoever, and some serious thrust angle problems.

After getting home early, my trusty sidekick and I measured the distance between the two axles and found that there was a 1/4 inch diff between the driver and passenger side. After all was said and done, We put about another degree of + caster on it, adjusted the 1/4 difference out using the control arms, and found/reduced the 1/2 " toe in to 1/16. Only took two tries, but now Roxy is tracking like a champ.

Tags
drag link , steering , tie rod , tj , track bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.