Thinking of designing a overhead console for TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking of designing a overhead console for TJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-09-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thinking of designing a overhead console for TJ

I have been thinking of fabricating an overhead console for my CB radio and maybe a few storage compartments/cubby holes. I have professional welder craftsmen to do my welding. As far as materials, I am looking at using aluminum tubing (square or round) or 1/4" plate. I am looking into designing a method to attach it to the windshield strap/handle and to the Rear roll bar. I have all kinds of hardware available, just want to try to do it right the first time. Looking for any input. Thanks.

Unread 07-09-2010, 09:23 AM   #2
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I was thinking of designing one too at some pint when I have more of a use for it. I was planning on using U-bolts at both ends. Small ones to attach it to the little windshield strap spot, and big ones that will go around the roll bar.

I was also thinking about doing a switch panel, and the spot for my CB angled. I also wanted to put a hinge on the top with a lock for ease of access, but not sure on that one.

I was going to use angle iron (probably 1/8") to make a frame then sheet metal or a thing gauge the cover it. I wasn't sure if I would weld the sheet metal or if I would rivet it.Regardless I would make a frame then cover it. If you can do aluminum then go for it! I would if I have nay way to weld aluminum.
Unread 07-09-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
localfiend
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If you want cubby boxes your ideas sound pretty good. There is also a cheapskate option for those that just want to mount a cb and perhaps some switches.

Cost me about 30 bucks all told in parts. A couple lengths of closet rack slider thingies , some bolts to hook them together, and some heavy duty zip ties get you all set up. The slits and holes make it really easy to just bolt things on, or use zip ties to keep all of your wires organized.

External Hard drive casing, a hacksaw, and some switches and a cover from OTRATTW.com and you have a decent start to a good looking switch box. Mine is only part way finished:

Ugly blurry pic of power bar - fused and tied into ignition:

Hooray for zip ties!!

Bumpy roads, steep hills, and lots of bouncing haven't had any effect on it. Was meant to be temporary but I think I'm going to keep it - just works way too well.
localfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
footinmouth47
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richd1963 View Post
I have been thinking of fabricating an overhead console for my CB radio and maybe a few storage compartments/cubby holes. I have professional welder craftsmen to do my welding. As far as materials, I am looking at using aluminum tubing (square or round) or 1/4" plate. I am looking into designing a method to attach it to the windshield strap/handle and to the Rear roll bar. I have all kinds of hardware available, just want to try to do it right the first time. Looking for any input. Thanks.
I would not use 1/4 plate even if it is aluminum. I would use 1/8 at the most, I am also a fan of round over square but that just me. good luck take some pics and start with cardboard mock ups, it will give you a very good idea of what the finished product will look like and not wast any material.
Greg

Built not Bought member #247

SOLD:( new DD- 04 polaris sportsman
footinmouth47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
whiskeyNcoke
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by footinmouth47 View Post
I would not use 1/4 plate even if it is aluminum. I would use 1/8 at the most, I am also a fan of round over square but that just me. good luck take some pics and start with cardboard mock ups, it will give you a very good idea of what the finished product will look like and not wast any material.
Greg
X2
1/4" seems pretty over kill.
whiskeyNcoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Tick
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Heres what I fabbed up.

Tick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #7
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I appreciate all the advise. It is going to be a build as I go project. Were starting with a piece of alum. plate 1/4" thick 8" wide and 35" long. I am going to find or make a clamp to use to hold it in the front to the windshield loop and in the rear I will use a half round piece of pipe welded with tabs to cradle the roll bar and fasten with screws to make it removable. It will be strong enough to sit on no doubt, but it will not rattle or flex, and I don't want any of that. I can take pics as we go. Still in the design and ruff fabrication phases. Thanks for all the input.
Unread 07-18-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

OK, So we worked on it Friday for a few hours. A little custom fitting and welding, bending and tweeking. Still ruff around the edges. I took a few photos with my phone and I will take more after I remove it to finish and paint. Like I said it is a project in the works. I don't want to paint it before I make all the mods to it and add all I am going to want. Ya know what I mean. This is just a first look.

Unread 07-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I like that a lot; it holds the CB up a lot higher than other overhead mounts I have seen.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #10
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

1/4 seems like it's a bit much, But that came out nice. I like the clamps you made for the roll bars

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #11
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I think without any other additional bracing, that 1/4" is just about right, depending on the alloy. All the other overhead consoles use thinner material, but they also have sides adding to the stiffness.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 07:28 PM   #12
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I wish I could take the credit, but it was my welder that came up with the idea of using the 1/4" Al. plate. I was going to insist on using tubing, either square or round, but then I thought..... This guy knows his stuff, listen to him, so I did. I need to think outside the box sometimes. It does allow the radio to be mounted well out of the way of my thick head. I am just wondering what else I can use that overhead to house. I am thinking of moving my XM receiver behind the radio where my remotes are now. I was also thinking of putting my aux. speaker there near the roll bar facing forward, but I am not sure if I am going to need it after all. I ordered up some new antenna connections for the new cable and will be mounting the fire stick on the rear bumper for the time being and running the coax along the roll bar to the overhead (inside the roll bar cover). Next year after I get new bumpers, then I will look into a different mounting system for the antenna.
Unread 07-22-2010, 05:36 AM   #13
Richd1963

2005 TJ Wrangler 

So I mounted the radio and temporarily ran the coax and connected it up. Ran 12v power up the a pillar and behind the plastic all the way up to the radio. While I was there doing that, I powered up the radar detector too instead of that cable I had hanging down to the 12v power outlet. No more wire hanging down, that is weird. So used to it.
I am going to bring my camera to work today and take some more photos of the unpainted console. Still thinking of covering the coax overhead with an alum cover, maybe split a pipe and weld tabs onto it to attach to console. I will post some more photos soon. I also just made a set of front and rear bumper end caps and painted them yesterday. Will get a few pics of them too.
Unread 07-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #14
footinmouth47
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richd1963 View Post
I wish I could take the credit, but it was my welder that came up with the idea of using the 1/4" Al. plate. I was going to insist on using tubing, either square or round, but then I thought..... This guy knows his stuff, listen to him, so I did. I need to think outside the box sometimes. It does allow the radio to be mounted well out of the way of my thick head. I am just wondering what else I can use that overhead to house. I am thinking of moving my XM receiver behind the radio where my remotes are now. I was also thinking of putting my aux. speaker there near the roll bar facing forward, but I am not sure if I am going to need it after all. I ordered up some new antenna connections for the new cable and will be mounting the fire stick on the rear bumper for the time being and running the coax along the roll bar to the overhead (inside the roll bar cover). Next year after I get new bumpers, then I will look into a different mounting system for the antenna.
you did the right thing listening to him and not me. I had a very different idea of what your (console) would be. seeing that the 1/4 looks great. good work.
Greg

Built not Bought member #247

SOLD:( new DD- 04 polaris sportsman
footinmouth47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #15
ScreamSalvation
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Love your console Wanna sell it? Your welding guy did an awesome job, now just add a switch panel onto it and it will be perfect.
ScreamSalvation is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overhead console , console , tj , wrangler , fabrication , design

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.