Thinking of buying a welder... (i read the sticky ) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking of buying a welder... (i read the sticky )

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #1
jamoka3
1997 ZJ 

Thinking of buying a welder... (i read the sticky )

Well i sat here for over and hour and read the sticky about buying a welder, and now i want one even more!

I really want one i can just plug into my 120v, 15 amp circuit in my garage.
I'm looking to weld metal up to 1/4 " thick and dont care if its a MIG or arc. (stick) welder.
Now, what do you recommend?

jamoka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You're not gonna be welding 1/4" on a 120 mig machine.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #3
jamoka3
1997 ZJ 

whats the max i can go with a 120?
even with a few passes?
jamoka3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 09:39 PM   #4
j0nesy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoka3 View Post
whats the max i can go with a 120?
even with a few passes?
with multiple passes ... and proper prep / knowledge / tools ... infinite thickness.

with average tools and skills ... 3/8 at most ...

for a beginner ... 3/16.

it can definitely be done. saying it cannot be done is improper ... there is more to a welder than its output power ... or input power.
j0nesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #5
Chopshopchopper

Get a mig that runs on gasoline.
Chopshopchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nesy View Post
it can definitely be done. saying it cannot be done is improper ... there is more to a welder than its output power ... or input power.
True, I shouldn't have made a blanket statement like that. I meant single pass.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2009, 05:19 AM   #7
dickensheets

Quote:
Well i sat here for over and hour and read the sticky about buying a welder, and now i want one even more!

I'm looking to weld metal up to 1/4 " thick and dont care if its a MIG or arc. (stick) welder.
Craigslist. Any top brand (Miller Lincoln etc...) used is ok. May get a cart and or bottle in he deal.
Unread 01-14-2009, 05:29 AM   #8
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0nesy View Post
with multiple passes ... and proper prep / knowledge / tools ... infinite thickness.

with average tools and skills ... 3/8 at most ...

for a beginner ... 3/16.

Exactly, I can, and have, welded 1" plate with my MM180 220V machine. Only rated for 5/16 max. AND it passed the state DOT bend test for bridge repair.

Welding 1/4" with a 110V machine is going to require beveled edges and 3 passes, if not 3 passes with 2 cover passes on top.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2009, 06:46 AM   #9
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

while the guys above are talking pro welding stuff with beveling and multiple passes, if you've never welded before you're not going to understand how all this works.

get the biggest (~180 amp) 220V welder you can if you want to do 1/4" thick. you'll have a hotter puddle and you'll be able to control it alot better since you're a novice.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2009, 07:01 AM   #10
bamacpl
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Find you the best price on a 110v welder and get it....Go from there!

--you'll decide for yourself if it's sufficient for what you are doing, if so good, if not sell it and get you something better.
bamacpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2009, 07:26 AM   #11
jonzer12
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It is nothing to install a 220v plug. If you truly are going to use the welder, get a 220v machine. You can weld 1/4 inch with a 110v machine after you prep all the edges and do multiple passes. It will take you forever to get anything done and the duty cycle on a 110v machine will come into play.
110v machines are great for portability and body work, if you are doing structural work they just become a hassle.
Unread 01-14-2009, 09:58 AM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It boils down to this... like me, you're not a professional welder with multiple welding credentials. It'd take a lot of experience and bad results to finally get to the point you could finally weld 1/4" steel with a 110v welder (but it'd take multiple passes). I had the biggest 110v (140 amp) welder you can buy and it was barely adequate FOR ME to weld on big pieces of 3/16"... they were big enough that they were absorbing too much heat for my 110v welder to keep up with which made my welds barely adequate.

For Joe-average who just wants to weld up to 1/4" without a lot of fuss, you REALLY want a 220v 180 amp (or better) welder. I sold my 110v 140 amp Hobart welder to get my 220v 180 amp Miller welder and just going to that new welder helped my welding quality a LOT. Since you say you want to weld 1/4", don't mess with a 110v welder... it'll just prove frustrating. My 110v welder proved frustrating even with big pieces of 3/16".

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
j0nesy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

there is a lot of good info in this thread .... J.B. and Rustywrangler both make the best points here ...

Can it be done with a 110V welder ... definitely, if you have the understanding, experience, and proper tooling.

can it be done with a 110V welder in the hands of someone that has no experience. Definitely not.

i really suggest a MillerMatic 180 for most beginners ... simply becuase it has the power to burn in hot ... but its small and portable (no larger than the MM140) and its not going to take 10 years to pay off.

get a 220V welder ... it is well worth it.
j0nesy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.