Thinking of buying a welder - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking of buying a welder

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBlack Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!

Unread 02-22-2009, 02:05 AM   #121
willness33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhclark View Post
I know this thread prefers 220v, but has anyone used the Hobart Handler 140? On paper it claims up to 1/4 inch.
I've seen some pretty solid work from a 140 with a skilled person behind the hood.

willness33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2009, 08:51 PM   #122
Treeshot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Sooo.....didn't have time to read the whole thread just did a bit of browsing. This may have already been covered but I'll throw in my .02
S.M.A. : Shielded Metal Arc, otherwise known as stick welding. Uses a solid rod with flux coating. The flux around the metal core is what keeps impurities out of the weld. The first two numbers on the rod are tensile strength, the third is weld position, and the fourth is type of flux.

M.I.G : Metal Inert Gas, otherwise known as wire feed. Uses solid wire and a pressurized inert gas (Usually argon or 75/25) to keep the weld clean and prevent porosity. MIG also has the option of shielded wire so you don't need gas but I WOULD NOT suggest using it.

T.I.G. : Tungsten Inert Gas, otherwise known as Tig, lol. Uses a tungsten rod to carry the arc and pressurized gas for cleaning. Can be used with or without filler rod.

Wire feed is the most practical choice for probably 80% of people and as for my opinion on wirefeed welders.......I own a MillerMatic 180 Auto set. Call me bias but if you can afford it Miller seems to be about the best choice in each class.
Treeshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2009, 05:49 PM   #123
Bobandbeans
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i have the attention span of a nat so i couldn't read to much this thread so sorry about repeads
i'm pretty new to tig welding. i have a 2 or 3 hours laying beads... so i'm looking at getting a welder for myself. i've been thinking about between the hobart 140, or the 187.. no i know there one is 220v and 110v now i know 220v is the more capable machine but what really are the pros and cons. the maximum steel thickness of the 140... and whats all should i get looking for.. i would like to be able to weld up some stuff like mild fab work.. i'm thinking alot around 1/4 steel..

1996 xj my dd

"I swear to God, I'll pistol whip the next guy who says shenaningans!"
Bobandbeans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 12:29 AM   #124
Bobandbeans
2000 XJ Cherokee 

after a sleepless night i read a little here and there and i think i will end up buying the 187 if a week or so..

1996 xj my dd

"I swear to God, I'll pistol whip the next guy who says shenaningans!"
Bobandbeans is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #125
willness33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobandbeans View Post
i have the attention span of a nat so i couldn't read to much this thread so sorry about repeads
i'm pretty new to tig welding. i have a 2 or 3 hours laying beads... so i'm looking at getting a welder for myself. i've been thinking about between the hobart 140, or the 187.. no i know there one is 220v and 110v now i know 220v is the more capable machine but what really are the pros and cons. the maximum steel thickness of the 140... and whats all should i get looking for.. i would like to be able to weld up some stuff like mild fab work.. i'm thinking alot around 1/4 steel..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobandbeans View Post
after a sleepless night i read a little here and there and i think i will end up buying the 187 if a week or so..
http://hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/

If you have 220 in your shop/garage and the $ for the 187, get it. I have no regrets on purchasing mine.
willness33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2009, 05:17 PM   #126
silverwolf636
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Welding for About 20 Years.

I've been welding for about 20 years. I've welded everything from rusted exhausts, railroad car frames, to heavy demolition crane booms. The only problem I had was I didn't have a welder for at home. September of 2007 I finally bought one for the garage. Just to do things like work on my jeep and build 55 gallon smokers. After going from web site to site and reading, this is the welder I ended up with. It's a little more heavy on the wallet but you really need to check out how the machines are made and what the components are made of (i.e. plastic, cast....). If I need to weld a little more heavier material than what the weld can handle, I just preheat. Very rarely though do I run into that just around the house. It not like I have a D9 sitting out back that needs its teeth or blade built back up...

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...t.aspx?p=42420

Just thought I'd add my .02 cents worth...
And, don't throw away your scrap; use to practice on. That's how you get to be a good welder. And weld with two hands... lol

Oh yea, you can also purchase a whip to weld aluminum
The rest stock I think.
My first jeep and "I like it".
http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/sho...&ppuser=107067
silverwolf636 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #127
BALTERBUILT
2009 CJ2A 

why pre-heat, sounds like youve done some big welding. i'm a union ironworker, i've got a ton of certs to my name, including 7018 3g and 4g, 232 3g and 4g both unlimited thickness, plug welds, stainless TIG pipe, full pen rebar blah blah blah. just run a strong root pass and some cover passes if you are doing fillets, flare or full pen welds. i guess if you are butt welding you should pre heat :-P

Local 378 Union Ironworkers
Ahlborn Structural Steel inc.
BALTERBUILT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2009, 09:49 AM   #128
silverwolf636
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Welding for About 20 Years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BALTERBUILT View Post
why pre-heat, sounds like youve done some big welding. i'm a union ironworker, i've got a ton of certs to my name, including 7018 3g and 4g, 232 3g and 4g both unlimited thickness, plug welds, stainless TIG pipe, full pen rebar blah blah blah. just run a strong root pass and some cover passes if you are doing fillets, flare or full pen welds. i guess if you are butt welding you should pre heat :-P
I'm looking at this from the point that this person is a beginner. Is he/she going to be able place a nice gap between his pieces and put in a nice rootl? Unless he's got the practice: no. We're talking about a little 110v welder here. Hopefully he/she won't purchase one of them automatic settings welders. I tried one and didn't care for it at all.

It was hard enough for me to purchase my little 110v Lincoln that I have (if it wasn't at least 220v ac/dc, it wasn't capable of doing what I wanted in the garage). For the YJ, this thing is great.
The rest stock I think.
My first jeep and "I like it".
http://www.jeepforum.com/gallery/sho...&ppuser=107067
silverwolf636 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2009, 01:49 PM   #129
BALTERBUILT
2009 CJ2A 

i've used those miller autoset's, i built some handrails in the field with one. had it cranked to the maximum and it worked alright for 1/8" material...wouldn't weld anything thicker with it though

Unread 03-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #130
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
i've used those miller autoset's, i built some handrails in the field with one. had it cranked to the maximum and it worked alright for 1/8" material...wouldn't weld anything thicker with it though

You must be talking about the 140 autoset, but even that unit has gone to 3/16 very well for me.

My 180 with autoset easily does 1/4"-5/16"

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #131
BALTERBUILT
2009 CJ2A 

yeah it's the 140, i wouldn't use it for more then 3/16 though, i'd feel more cumfy with a larger welder. I love my power mig, it'll rip up 1/2" no problem. it's always good to buy a welder/plasma that's capable of more then you intend to use it for or else you will probably be running it maxed out all the time. i've been through plenty of welders to learn that rule

Unread 03-09-2009, 06:54 AM   #132
78CJFIVE
1978 CJ5 

Hopefully someone finds this..

I'm in the market for a MiG welder. I have no experience and little budget. I'm buying the welder only for sheet metal, to repair the body of my CJ. I'm not to worried about doing anything else right now. Just looking for something cheap to tack in some sheet metal patches.

I would love to be able to make repairs to the body mounts, and spots on the frame, build bumpers, etc, but I think that would require a lot more welder than I'm looking for.
78CJFIVE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 05:21 PM   #133
Treeshot
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The MillerMatic 140 you used in the field is a 110v welder rated for 3/16" in a single pass. Like yourself I have a few welding certs and have done my fair share of welding in the field. Unless your using a dedicated generator I find power sources in the field unreliable. You plug your welder into a spiderbox, start laying a bead then a framer fires up his chopsaw, the 14 halogen lights plugged into a handful of threeways are glowing nicely, tile guy hits the go switch on his saw, bla bla bla. Pretty soon your welder is having a hard time keeping an arc going let alone get any penetration. I'd bet in a more stable environment that 140 would burn 3/16" no problem.

As for welding at home I have 220v in my shop and love my MillerMatic 180.
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...c_180_autoset/

If ya don't have 220v, I would be eyeballing the 140. Miller seems to have great products.
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...c_140_autoset/
Treeshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #134
XJaggerated
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I'm interested in learning to weld. I found this on CL, I was wondering if you guys have any opinions of this welder. It looks like its the harbor freight job, but can you tell anything else by the pics??

I'm going to take a class this summer. Would this unit be something that would work for a new guy?

It's $50 by the way.

Past:
92 XJ - 4.0/AW4 - C8.25
93 XJ - 2dr 4.0/AW4 - C8.25
XJaggerated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2009, 03:30 PM   #135
OldFatGuy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Here it is on Harbor Freight's website.

For that price, I'd probably buy it new, except that I personally think HF welders are junk so I wouldn't buy it at all. Worst case, though, is that you buy the one off craigslist, hate it, and you're out $50, which wouldn't exactly be the end of the world.
OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.