Thinking of buying a welder - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking of buying a welder

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 08-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #91
yjcrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the lincoln is $380 and the hobart is $460 so an $80 difference. i was leaning toward the lincoln because of the reliability their known for, plus the price.

Unread 08-13-2008, 09:43 AM   #92
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjcrawler View Post
the lincoln is $380 and the hobart is $460 so an $80 difference. i was leaning toward the lincoln because of the reliability their known for, plus the price.
$380.00 is a great deal. Where are you getting this price? I paid about $450 for the Hobart at TSC. Heck, back in 1982 I paid almost $350 for a Lincoln.

You will be happy with either one. Once you get it don't go buying an extension cord. Just get longer cable extensions. On a stick welder you can go a long way with cable. At my old job we routinly welded with the Lincoln 225 with 150" extensions and had zero issues. Our big 300 amp DC portable had a 200' stinger cable on it. I actually have an extension cord for my Hobart as I found it on a 75% sale so I bought it. I just weld in the garage anyway.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #93
yjcrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the $380 is on home depots website, search welder and its towards the bottem of page 1. I found out that our hot tub we had on our back porch runs off a 50 amp breaker. we no longer have the hot tub so the breaker is just their. im thinking of running power from it to my garage (about 10 feet away,going under the house) and putting in a recepticle to use for the welder. Im no electrician so is this even possible, if so how much could i do it for. thanks man
Unread 08-13-2008, 11:36 AM   #94
Bigbob

Quote:
the $380 is on home depots website, search welder and its towards the bottem of page 1. I found out that our hot tub we had on our back porch runs off a 50 amp breaker. we no longer have the hot tub so the breaker is just their. im thinking of running power from it to my garage (about 10 feet away,going under the house) and putting in a recepticle to use for the welder. Im no electrician so is this even possible, if so how much could i do it for. thanks man
That's funny. Last year Home Depot and Lowes did not have them available. Just the 225 AC model.

Check the 50 amp breaker. It may be a ground fault type. It could give problems running a welder, but I am not sure.

Also, how far is it from the spa hook up to the breaker box? And do you know what size wire is in there? I am sure you will be good to go, but just checking everything out is a good thing.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 08-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #95
yjcrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

its about 70 ft to the house breaker box. Not sure on the wire. the breaker for the spa is a 50 amp 120/240 vac/vca and has a single breaker switch. It looks as if there is a wire powering the breaker and another spot on the outside of the box for wire to be attached inside that was powering the spa. I figured that i could put a new wire in the old spa spot and run that one to a receptical in the garage.
Unread 08-13-2008, 06:16 PM   #96
Bigbob

Quote:
its about 70 ft to the house breaker box. Not sure on the wire. the breaker for the spa is a 50 amp 120/240 vac/vca and has a single breaker switch. It looks as if there is a wire powering the breaker and another spot on the outside of the box for wire to be attached inside that was powering the spa. I figured that i could put a new wire in the old spa spot and run that one to a receptical in the garage.
The box the spa hooked into probably has a cut off switch. That is code. It could be a breaker also, but you will have a breaker in the box 70' away as well. Most codes state you need a switch-off mounted away from the spa, (I think between 8 and 12 feet) and you need a ground fault breaker/device in the circuit. I would by-pass the breaker in the spa box and just use the breaker in the breaker box. Of course make sure it is off first! On an 80' run 8 gauge wire should be Okay. I have 6 gauge on mine, but it is a little over 100'.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 08-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #97
Fastbeeatch
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I bought an Hobart Handler 180 for $527 to my door from Toolking.com. It is a reconditioned welder but you wouldn't be able to tell it, it has all new tins new torch new ground new rollers and spool holder. I cracked the insides and they all looked in tip top shape, Also had 1 year warranty. It will do 1/4" stuff no problem there is splatering because of the flux core wire but nothing a quick grind won't take off.
H1 Wheels 36" GoodYear OZ Tires
Fastbeeatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2008, 09:10 PM   #98
rudiger
1991 YJ Wrangler 

as a welder i recommend take a course before you buy a machine this way you will know your abilities and also know what size machine will best suit your needs eg. "you do not need a $30000 idustrial unit to do tin work" also if your going to be using over 1/2" material on yours jeep what are you biulding a tank?
rudiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2008, 09:50 PM   #99
CJfreak
1975 CJ5 

I'd like to hear from some more people who have 110 volt portable mig units. I think one of those would be right for me for the limited fab I do in a garage with 110 service, and I could probably even use it for repairs while camping if I had to. Now granted, it isn't going to be everything a larger unit will be but since most of us are not building tanks (military or pressure), will I be able to be happy with something like that for less than 500 for most of my Jeep fabbing? It's been quite a few years since I mig welded anything but I think with practice it'll all come back to me. I never could seem to hold my hand steady enough to get the hang of stick lol. The Hobart Handler 140 claims 1/4" thickness and is 489.00 at Northern with free shipping and the Clarke 130 claims 3/16 thickness and is only like 329.00 at a couple places I saw. The duty cycle is only about 20% on these things and that worrys me a little bit. Anyone have input on either of these or comparable units?
Unread 10-01-2008, 07:24 AM   #100
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJfreak View Post
I'd like to hear from some more people who have 110 volt portable mig units. The Hobart Handler 140 claims 1/4" thickness and is 489.00 at Northern with free shipping and the Clarke 130 claims 3/16 thickness and is only like 329.00 at a couple places I saw. The duty cycle is only about 20% on these things and that worrys me a little bit.
Stick to Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart. The Handler at under 5 bills sounds good. I have the Lincoln 140. Yes, the duty cycle will drive you crazy. Don't ever plan on a "welding" day. Have some other project to work on at the same time. You weld a little then the duty cycle shuts you down and you wait.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 10-06-2008, 09:55 PM   #101
CJfreak
1975 CJ5 

Well this thread doesn't look too active but I just wanted to say I got myself a welder tonight and get some feedback no matter how brutal it is! I bought a MAXUS Pro-140 from TSC. I've seen these units new online for well over $400, in fact as much as the Hobart 140. TSC sells both and for the same money I would buy the Hobart as well which is probably why TSC wasn't moving hardly any MAXUS so they are dropping the line. It was marked down to $319 which is $170 cheaper than the Handler 140 and it comes with MIG setup as well. I read a review from one guy who said it burns circles around his Miller and I found no negative comments about them so I took a chance. Not planning on it burning circles around anyones Miller or Lincoln but hoping it will perform as well. I do like that it has 5 heat settings instead of 4 like many have even though it still isn't infinite like my bro-in-laws Lincoln 135. Getting something close to $300 is prob the only way I could sneak it past my wife anyway so ya do what ya gotta do. I haven't set it up and used it yet but I will soon. They are made by CambellHausfeld and are supposed to be like their line of industrial contractor units, whatever thats supposed to mean, I thought Campbell already was an industrial line. Anyway, feedback is welcome from anyone with an opinion or experience with this brand. Let me know what I've gotten myself into!
Unread 11-01-2008, 09:08 PM   #102
wannabexj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Finally bought a welder and I am so excited about it I have to tell someone! I ended up getting the hobart handler 187, I think it will be more than enough for me in my garage! Thanks for listeining.
Unread 11-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #103
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I just bought a slightly used Hobart Handler 140, with gauges, a new Miller gun and a small argon bottle (full!) on craigslist for pretty cheap ran a few beads with flux core and it works great! first project is a cart to tuck it into the corner of my very small garage
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2008, 09:34 PM   #104
willness33
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabexj View Post
Finally bought a welder and I am so excited about it I have to tell someone! I ended up getting the hobart handler 187, I think it will be more than enough for me in my garage! Thanks for listeining.
You're going to love your 187. I know I love mine. IMO, the best bang for the buck. Pop for a tank of C25 as soon as you can and you'll be making good sparks in no time. In case you didn't know it exists, look here for some knowledge:http://hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/
willness33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2008, 10:17 PM   #105
wannabexj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
You're going to love your 187. I know I love mine. IMO, the best bang for the buck. Pop for a tank of C25 as soon as you can and you'll be making good sparks in no time.
Sure hope so, my local store was doing the welder, gloves and mig pliers for $599. And after looking around for a few days I just couldnt pass it up.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.