Thinking of buying a welder - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking of buying a welder

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #76
jonzer12
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Save your money. Clarke is probably the best of the el-cheapo welders if there is such as a thing but if you actually plan on getting in to welding it is a poor investment. You will just end up trading up in a year or two. I have used a clarke 110v mig welder before and it was fine for heavy sheet metal but that is about it. On paper it should have been able to do more but it just didn't produce enough heat.

In North America there are only two real options for the home welder, Lincoln and Miller (Hobart is made by miller).

If money is tight save up a extra $150 and buy a lincoln or miller off ebay. You can get a Lincoln or Miller 180 for around $500 sometimes new. I did.

jonzer12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2008, 07:28 PM   #77
Zlake
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ok after reading through this entire post I am still unsure. I see stick this or MIG that but I am still unsure.

I have only welded stick and I have taken a few intro. welding classes with stick. I would like to stay around $500 for a welder.

I am looking at being able to fab my own things like bumpers and skid plates. I am also going to need to be able to do things like repair rust spots on my body and fix exhaust hangers and the like. I really want an all around machine but I want to be able to weld 1/4" for bumpers. What do you guys think??

I have been looking at the Lincoln Pro-Mig 180's and the Lincoln 220v stick welders. Opinions?
Zlake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2008, 09:08 PM   #78
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlake
Ok after reading through this entire post I am still unsure. I see stick this or MIG that but I am still unsure.

I have only welded stick and I have taken a few intro. welding classes with stick. I would like to stay around $500 for a welder.

I am looking at being able to fab my own things like bumpers and skid plates. I am also going to need to be able to do things like repair rust spots on my body and fix exhaust hangers and the like. I really want an all around machine but I want to be able to weld 1/4" for bumpers. What do you guys think??

I have been looking at the Lincoln Pro-Mig 180's and the Lincoln 220v stick welders. Opinions?

$500.00 and 1/4" don't mix with Mig IMHO. Duck soup with stick.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2008, 06:14 PM   #79
OldFatGuy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That Miller 251 reminds me a lot of my Lincoln Power Mig 255 (which isn't really very visible in this picture).

OldFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #80
f3x
2002 WJ 

Well if you HAVE to stay at 500.00 then get the largest machine (highest Amps) mig you can and run fluxcore wire. Not as clean as Mig but it's a stronger weld, and with fluxcore your machine will easily run 1/4.

You can shop around a lot but this may be a good deal http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...2924_200342924 Under 500.00! 175 Amps and Northern will stand behind it. this one comes with gauges so you can run gas no issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zlake View Post

f3x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2008, 09:56 PM   #81
shinerm02
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Does anyone have any experience or know anything about the hobart rc-256? Would this be a good welder for jeep projects ( body repair/ bumpers etc.) I did a search but can't find any info.
shinerm02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2008, 10:31 PM   #82
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerm02 View Post
Does anyone have any experience or know anything about the hobart rc-256? Would this be a good welder for jeep projects ( body repair/ bumpers etc.) I did a search but can't find any info.
That is way overkill. From what I can find online, that is also a 3 phase machine.

Where are you finding this machine???? Gonna be expensive as hell to get 3 phase in your garage.

So in short, OVERKILL. It prolly wont go "low" enough to sheet metal anyway.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2008, 05:34 AM   #83
shinerm02
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a variable frequency drive that makes three phase power for some of the woodworking tools I have already. I found that welder at a Industrial surplus place for $129.00. I just did not know if it would do the sheet metal work.

Last edited by shinerm02; 07-17-2008 at 05:42 AM.. Reason: better way of saying what i meant
Unread 07-17-2008, 05:37 AM   #84
shinerm02
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The same place has a miller CP-200 for sale as well. Would that one be any better for the body panels?
Unread 08-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #85
hardrockwyo
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just bought the Hobart 187H very impressed on the amount of wire it can put down and purty beads. A whole lot better than the old Campbell Housfield 90 I burned up. Also have the Hobart 235 A/C- D/C Stickmate
hardrockwyo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #86
guitarZERO
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
That Miller 251 reminds me a lot of my Lincoln Power Mig 255 (which isn't really very visible in this picture).

That Powermig 255 is a killer machine...it's the machine that I primarily used in industry from everything from 20 gauge mild steel to 3/4" plate. For a general home fab setup this is definatly the way I would go. Stay away from the stick welders and the flux core wire...for less experience welders and what you want to do (make Jeep toys!) generally a machine like this ran with .035 solid wire and 75/25 shield gas will do everything you ever want and more. They do run about 2500-2700 new...but they do pop up used on craigslist now and then.

Man what a great machine...I run two of them, plus an old reliable ESAB Mig in the welding classes I teach...
guitarZERO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2008, 08:47 PM   #87
yjcrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Im looking to buy my first welder as well. but im in a bit of a predicement, i can only get a 110v and ive only got $500. I was looking at the clarke 110v stick machines which say they can weld up to 1/4 inch but not sure thats true, but i was also leaning towards the hobart handler 140. I need some experienced welders advice as to what i should do. thanks
Unread 08-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #88
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjcrawler View Post
Im looking to buy my first welder as well. but im in a bit of a predicement, i can only get a 110v and ive only got $500. I was looking at the clarke 110v stick machines which say they can weld up to 1/4 inch but not sure thats true, but i was also leaning towards the hobart handler 140. I need some experienced welders advice as to what i should do. thanks
Between the 2 I'd go Hobart. You can weld 1/4" on flux core, but from my Lincoln 140 amp experience I would trust the welds like a wet fart.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 08-12-2008, 09:59 PM   #89
yjcrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

what is the main difference in capabilities of the lincoln ac/dc vs the hobart ac/dc besides the 100 dollar price difference. i found out today that 50 amp power is available in my garage.
Unread 08-13-2008, 01:30 AM   #90
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjcrawler View Post
what is the main difference in capabilities of the lincoln ac/dc vs the hobart ac/dc besides the 100 dollar price difference. i found out today that 50 amp power is available in my garage.
I have used both. I wore out 2 Lincoln AC DC 225 welders over the years. Both were very dependable. I recently bought the Hobart AC DC 235 stickmate which is basically the same as the Miller Thunderbolt 235/160. It is much more compact and instead of notching through the amps it has an infinite crank adjustment. As far as work goes the Hobart has a better adjustment feature. As far as dependability I can't say much for the Hobart as I have only had it a short period of time. I have run tons of rod through Lincolns with little or no problems at all. I think the Hobart is noisier when running on AC.

What prices are you looking at? Which one is $100.00 more? They used to be about the same price.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.