Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Thinking of buying a welder

140K views 401 replies 153 participants last post by  mtrdstuck 
#1 ·
Im very much a newbie to the world of welding, but I would really like to get into it since it opens up alot of fabrication doors for me.

I have welded once or twice with a mig welder (wire), it was a hobart handler, ran on 120v

I would like to purchase something with a little more capability, since I hope to build up bumpers and basic bull bars, along with being able to fix up my exhaust.

I am looking into purchasing a lincoln 220v stick welder (since they seem very cheap and have a good reputation)

I do not, however, know how to stick weld, though I have been watching videos.

I am just confused on one thing really, I though you needed argon (or some other gas) being exhausted onto the weld pool, but from the looks of it, with a stick welder, you just put the stick into the stinger, and attach the other end to your work, and just go at it by making an arc. how can this be? How do you give it an arc sheild? Do you need an arc shield?

thanks

See less See more
#118 ·
I have used one to do 1/4" stuff. It took time and a couple of passes to get a good weld. BUT it will do it with flux core wire.

#119 ·
What kind of machine would you welding guru's reccomend for welding spring perches/shock mounts/traction bar mount onto my axles when I do my soa this summer. My step dad has a hobart handler stick and he is decent at using that and my good friend has a 110v lincoln mig and he is decent on that as well. Which would you reccomend? Or should I try and find someone with a 220v mig? Thanks!

#120 ·
If the handler is 220 stick, then use that.

#122 ·
Sooo.....didn't have time to read the whole thread just did a bit of browsing. This may have already been covered but I'll throw in my .02
S.M.A. : Shielded Metal Arc, otherwise known as stick welding. Uses a solid rod with flux coating. The flux around the metal core is what keeps impurities out of the weld. The first two numbers on the rod are tensile strength, the third is weld position, and the fourth is type of flux.

M.I.G : Metal Inert Gas, otherwise known as wire feed. Uses solid wire and a pressurized inert gas (Usually argon or 75/25) to keep the weld clean and prevent porosity. MIG also has the option of shielded wire so you don't need gas but I WOULD NOT suggest using it.

T.I.G. : Tungsten Inert Gas, otherwise known as Tig, lol. Uses a tungsten rod to carry the arc and pressurized gas for cleaning. Can be used with or without filler rod.

Wire feed is the most practical choice for probably 80% of people and as for my opinion on wirefeed welders.......I own a MillerMatic 180 Auto set. Call me bias but if you can afford it Miller seems to be about the best choice in each class.

#123 ·
i have the attention span of a nat so i couldn't read to much this thread so sorry about repeads
i'm pretty new to tig welding. i have a 2 or 3 hours laying beads... so i'm looking at getting a welder for myself. i've been thinking about between the hobart 140, or the 187.. no i know there one is 220v and 110v now i know 220v is the more capable machine but what really are the pros and cons. the maximum steel thickness of the 140... and whats all should i get looking for.. i would like to be able to weld up some stuff like mild fab work.. i'm thinking alot around 1/4 steel..

#126 ·
Welding for About 20 Years.

I've been welding for about 20 years. I've welded everything from rusted exhausts, railroad car frames, to heavy demolition crane booms. The only problem I had was I didn't have a welder for at home. September of 2007 I finally bought one for the garage. Just to do things like work on my jeep and build 55 gallon smokers. After going from web site to site and reading, this is the welder I ended up with. It's a little more heavy on the wallet but you really need to check out how the machines are made and what the components are made of (i.e. plastic, cast....). If I need to weld a little more heavier material than what the weld can handle, I just preheat. Very rarely though do I run into that just around the house. It not like I have a D9 sitting out back that needs its teeth or blade built back up...

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Catalog/equipmentdatasheet.aspx?p=42420

Just thought I'd add my .02 cents worth...
And, don't throw away your scrap; use to practice on. That's how you get to be a good welder. And weld with two hands... lol

Oh yea, you can also purchase a whip to weld aluminum

#127 ·
why pre-heat, sounds like youve done some big welding. i'm a union ironworker, i've got a ton of certs to my name, including 7018 3g and 4g, 232 3g and 4g both unlimited thickness, plug welds, stainless TIG pipe, full pen rebar blah blah blah. just run a strong root pass and some cover passes if you are doing fillets, flare or full pen welds. i guess if you are butt welding you should pre heat :p

#128 ·
Welding for About 20 Years.

I'm looking at this from the point that this person is a beginner. Is he/she going to be able place a nice gap between his pieces and put in a nice rootl? Unless he's got the practice: no. We're talking about a little 110v welder here. Hopefully he/she won't purchase one of them automatic settings welders. I tried one and didn't care for it at all.

It was hard enough for me to purchase my little 110v Lincoln that I have (if it wasn't at least 220v ac/dc, it wasn't capable of doing what I wanted in the garage). For the YJ, this thing is great.

#130 ·
You must be talking about the 140 autoset, but even that unit has gone to 3/16 very well for me.

My 180 with autoset easily does 1/4"-5/16"

#131 ·
yeah it's the 140, i wouldn't use it for more then 3/16 though, i'd feel more cumfy with a larger welder. I love my power mig, it'll rip up 1/2" no problem. it's always good to buy a welder/plasma that's capable of more then you intend to use it for or else you will probably be running it maxed out all the time. i've been through plenty of welders to learn that rule

#132 ·
Hopefully someone finds this..

I'm in the market for a MiG welder. I have no experience and little budget. I'm buying the welder only for sheet metal, to repair the body of my CJ. I'm not to worried about doing anything else right now. Just looking for something cheap to tack in some sheet metal patches.

I would love to be able to make repairs to the body mounts, and spots on the frame, build bumpers, etc, but I think that would require a lot more welder than I'm looking for.

#134 ·
I'm interested in learning to weld. I found this on CL, I was wondering if you guys have any opinions of this welder. It looks like its the harbor freight job, but can you tell anything else by the pics??

I'm going to take a class this summer. Would this unit be something that would work for a new guy?

It's $50 by the way.

#137 ·
I'm interested in learning to weld.

I'm going to take a class this summer. Would this unit be something that would work for a new guy?

It's $50 by the way.
Yeah, if it works. Like said before, you may be tossing $50.00.

The duty cycle is extremely bad on that machine. I'd stick to 3/32 and 1/8" rod as it appears at 130 AMP AC the duty cycle is only 10%. Most rod for the Jeep is 3/32 or 1/8 anyway.

#138 ·
Already have a lincoln ac/dc 225 stick welder for the heavy stuff. I have been thinking about what I should get next. mig or tig? I want to be able to weld aluminum, sheet metal and Use it to build my roll cage. I borrowed a friends miller 185, 220v mig to do the floorboards in the jeep and it worked well. But I really like the look of a good tig weld. Lets say the budget is 3k which way would you go tig or mig and which machine. Thanks

#142 ·
OK, I saw this on craigslist, and I want to look into it, but it seems a little fishy. Has anyone seen/used a MATCO welder before? I know they have a great reputation for tools, but I've never heard about their welders.

Here's the link to the ad, the guy doesn't include much info, but $450 seems really low for a 230 Volt MIG.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/1135133166.html

#143 ·
OK, I saw this on craigslist, and I want to look into it, but it seems a little fishy. Has anyone seen/used a MATCO welder before? I know they have a great reputation for tools, but I've never heard about their welders.

Here's the link to the ad, the guy doesn't include much info, but $450 seems really low for a 230 Volt MIG.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/tls/1135133166.html
I know nothing of their welders.

http://www.matcotools.com/Catalog/toolcatalog.jsp?cattype=T&cat=2420

#144 ·
I'm looking to buy a welder probably this month. I have narrowed down my search to the Millermatic 180 Auto-Set and the Millermatic 211 Auto-Set. I'll be using it to hobby weld. Shop carts, tables, roof-rack, brackets for under-body lights, etc. I don't intend to weld bumpers as the Jeep already has the ones I want. I'm probably buying a welder larger than I initially need, but I'm sure that once I get the hang of it, I will want to start welding larger things. I will most likely be welding together some pipe fence in the future. Just don't want to buy something and then find that it ends up being too small for future projects. I like that the 211 can run on 110 or 220 current. I will need to get someone to install a 220 line. Anyone have any comments on the comparison. Leaning towards the 211, but I hear people speaking highly of the 180.

#149 ·
Ive been looking into doing some custom fab work from home with a basic garage set up. Im pretty new to welding, and still trying to figure out what will work best for me. Learning wont be to difficult for me, as it runs in the family and ill have all the help I need. Im trying to stay away from gas. I would also like to be able to make decent welds with the machine. Ill be doing bumpers, racks, and re-enforcement on the frame. Basically anything I want to weld on the jeep I would like to be ready for. Im looking into the range of $400-$600. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

#150 ·
What do you guys think about the Hobart Handler 187? The local Tractor Supply has em and I know some people down there so I can get a decent discount. I plan using the gas mixture with it. I will be using it for everything from all the welding for my SOA conversion this summer, to boatsides, to tube fenders, trusses and to some sheet metal work. Anyone have this welder and what do ya think?

And all you guys who reccomend Miller, I understand what you are going to say, but Im in college and dont have an unlimited amount of money. Plus we have a Hobart Stickmate here at the house and it has never let us down one bit, so getting another Hobart would be fine.

BTW this would MY first welder and I plan on keeping it for a while, until I get my own place and what not. Thanks

#151 ·
What do you guys think about the Hobart Handler 187? The local Tractor Supply has em and I know some people down there so I can get a decent discount. I plan using the gas mixture with it. I will be using it for everything from all the welding for my SOA conversion this summer, to boatsides, to tube fenders, trusses and to some sheet metal work. Anyone have this welder and what do ya think?

And all you guys who reccomend Miller, I understand what you are going to say, but Im in college and dont have an unlimited amount of money. Plus we have a Hobart Stickmate here at the house and it has never let us down one bit, so getting another Hobart would be fine.

BTW this would MY first welder and I plan on keeping it for a while, until I get my own place and what not. Thanks
That welder will do whatever you want. Great machine. The stickmate is as well. Why not use it?

#152 · (Edited)
We do use the Stickmate, often actually, but I have been wanting a MIG for a while. I have some sheet metal work to do and plan on welding alot of different projects where either the stick would be awkward to use or wouldnt leave a pretty weld. Im sorta OCD.

It will be nice to have the MIG around for whenever we do thinner stuff as well as roll cages/tube fenders/etc etc. Also, I cant stick weld worth a crap, but my dad is awesome at it, but he works crazy wierd shifts (powerplant boss) so I would hate to have to rely on him to always weld up my junk and such. I like the idea of teaching myself, learning to MIG and having a MIG welder that is capable and will last me for many years.

#153 ·
The 187 will do everything. If you just want a Mig for thin sheet metal get a 110 volt unit and save some money. I have a AC DC Stickmate and a Lincoln 140 Mig. The Mig is set-up for gas shield and is used on thin stuff. The advantage to the 187 is you can perform all these functions with the same unit. If you can swing the price of the 187 jump on it and you will have the best of both worlds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.