Thinking of buying a welder - Page 27 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking of buying a welder

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 02-26-2014, 08:08 AM   #391
Brut4ce
2010 JK Wrangler 

Just unplug your wife's dryer and run a miller 251 or 252!!!!
Lol

BUILT FOR THE ROCKS BUILD CLICK HERE
Brut4ce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 05:47 AM   #392
96_zj_laredo
1996 ZJ 

Has anyone used the northern tools st80i 115 arc welder? http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2862_200512862 I'm getting into welding and I have arc welded a few times before and I want something for my house that I can use on various things such as my tractors, my jeep, etc. but I don't have a 220v outlet, so I need something for 115. Does anyone know if this seems to be a good deal?
Unread 05-13-2014, 09:38 AM   #393
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_zj_laredo View Post
Has anyone used the northern tools st80i 115 arc welder? http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2862_200512862 I'm getting into welding and I have arc welded a few times before and I want something for my house that I can use on various things such as my tractors, my jeep, etc. but I don't have a 220v outlet, so I need something for 115. Does anyone know if this seems to be a good deal?
It's a good deal at the price, but not much you can do with it. The 20% duty cycle will drive you crazy. And they even say in the video "up to 1/8". If it's impossible to get a 220 volt 30-50 amp circuit put in I'd look at a good brand name 110 volt Mig. But even those have a terrible duty cycle. I have a 110 volt Lincoln and a Hobart 220 volt AC/DC stick. I use the Mig for sheet metal and 1/8" and below metal. The stick comes out for everything else. The bottom line is, if you want to weld a lot and good without frustration you need 220 volts. A 180 amp and above 220 volt brand name Mig is what you really want. Not cheap but what you need. I intend to get rid of both my welders and get a Hobart 220 volt 190 amp mig one day.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2014, 10:16 AM   #394
96_zj_laredo
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob
It's a good deal at the price, but not much you can do with it. The 20% duty cycle will drive you crazy. And they even say in the video "up to 1/8". If it's impossible to get a 220 volt 30-50 amp circuit put in I'd look at a good brand name 110 volt Mig. But even those have a terrible duty cycle. I have a 110 volt Lincoln and a Hobart 220 volt AC/DC stick. I use the Mig for sheet metal and 1/8" and below metal. The stick comes out for everything else. The bottom line is, if you want to weld a lot and good without frustration you need 220 volts. A 180 amp and above 220 volt brand name Mig is what you really want. Not cheap but what you need. I intend to get rid of both my welders and get a Hobart 220 volt 190 amp mig one day.
So if I was going to be welding here and there for mostly fabrication stuff but maybe also sheet metal, all while on a high school students budget, what would you recommend? I could probably convince my parents to let me put in a 220v outlet if need be. Also I'll be doing all my welding outside as I don't have a garage
Unread 05-13-2014, 10:35 AM   #395
Bigbob

Quote:
So if I was going to be welding here and there for mostly fabrication stuff but maybe also sheet metal, all while on a high school students budget, what would you recommend? I could probably convince my parents to let me put in a 220v outlet if need be
Get a brand name 110 volt Mig. I have a Lincoln 140 but also check out Miller and Hobart. Sometimes the Hobart's (basically the same as Miller) can be on a great sale at Tractor Supply Company. Many say the Lincolns they sell at Home Depot and Lowes are junk, but I got mine at Home depot and it has been very dependable. 140 amp is as big as 110 volt Migs come so get that. You can start out just using .30 flux core until you come up with the $$$ to buy a gas setup to do .25 mig. On anything over 1/8" you want to do flux core anyway. I have welded 3/16" and even 1/4" metal flux core multi pass with my little Lincoln. The duty cycle can drive you nutz! On 3/16" and 1/4" stuff I can weld a lot better and extremely fast with my big stick welder.

Another option, (that I will get flamed on!), is to get a lincoln 220 volt buzz box 210 amp AC stick welder. They sell them at Home depot and Lowes in the $300 range. With the money you save over the 110 volt mig you can have a 220 volt 50 amp plug installed. The buzz box welds are not near as pretty as Mig welds, but you can weld anything with convenience except thin sheet metal. I have worn out 3 of those buzz boxes in the last 40 years. Great dependable welders.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 05-14-2014, 10:03 AM   #396
96_zj_laredo
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob
Get a brand name 110 volt Mig. I have a Lincoln 140 but also check out Miller and Hobart. Sometimes the Hobart's (basically the same as Miller) can be on a great sale at Tractor Supply Company. Many say the Lincolns they sell at Home Depot and Lowes are junk, but I got mine at Home depot and it has been very dependable. 140 amp is as big as 110 volt Migs come so get that. You can start out just using .30 flux core until you come up with the $$$ to buy a gas setup to do .25 mig. On anything over 1/8" you want to do flux core anyway. I have welded 3/16" and even 1/4" metal flux core multi pass with my little Lincoln. The duty cycle can drive you nutz! On 3/16" and 1/4" stuff I can weld a lot better and extremely fast with my big stick welder. Another option, (that I will get flamed on!), is to get a lincoln 220 volt buzz box 210 amp AC stick welder. They sell them at Home depot and Lowes in the $300 range. With the money you save over the 110 volt mig you can have a 220 volt 50 amp plug installed. The buzz box welds are not near as pretty as Mig welds, but you can weld anything with convenience except thin sheet metal. I have worn out 3 of those buzz boxes in the last 40 years. Great dependable welders.
Do they sell an extension cord for a 220v outlet? I could run a cord from my dryer's hookup in my basement out the bulkhead to outside (don't wanna weld in the basement) that buzz box sounds like a good deal if I can get better access to 220v. How is the duty cycle for the buzz box?
Unread 05-14-2014, 10:38 AM   #397
Krooser
1999 WJ 

I have a 25' extension cord for a 220V welder… but I now only have a 110V Hobart.

With your budget and experience I'd buy a good Hobart, Lincoln or Miller 110V MIG unit. I've owned about a dozen machines over the years and I love the newer MIG welders.. both 100v and 220V.

Duty cycle is important to guys in production shops but really has never affected my work in my shop. After all how often are you going to weld 12 minutes in an hour without a break? every time your welder is idling your welder cools allowing more welding time. I have fab'd race cars, trailers, a frame jig and hundreds of other projects with a 20 or 30% duty cycle welder. I have never had an issue… if you find the arc starting to get erratic just take a little break to let it cool down.

I can recommend the Hobart 175 which I now own. The previous unit I had was a Miller 175 (220V)… before that I had three Miller 35's (old technology) and a Lincoln 250 (220V). I also owned a little Lincoln 100… great 90 amp welder. Any of the brand name machines will do fine. Don't buy any Chinese MIG machine… junk with little aftermarket support.
Krooser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2014, 11:58 AM   #398
Bigbob

Quote:
Do they sell an extension cord for a 220v outlet? I could run a cord from my dryer's hookup in my basement out the bulkhead to outside (don't wanna weld in the basement) that buzz box sounds like a good deal if I can get better access to 220v. How is the duty cycle for the buzz box?
Depending on the length of the cord an extension works just fine. You want at least a 10 gauge wire size. The buzz box has virtually a 100% duty range on most all welding you will do. You rarely weld over 120 amps with it. Usually in the 90-110 range with 1/8" rod. The dryer plug is 30 amp and even though the buzz box calls for a 50 amp you should have no problem.

The buzz box (Lincoln 225) runs about $300 right now at most places. The Lincoln 140 amp 110 volt Mig runs about $525 sans gas tank.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 05-14-2014, 08:10 PM   #399
96_zj_laredo
1996 ZJ 

Thanks for the help guys, I'll mull it over an let you know what I end up with! Final question tho, will a 110 mig be enough to weld up 3/16" and/or 1/4" steel?
Unread 05-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #400
96_zj_laredo
1996 ZJ 

Ended up deciding on this one, it's on sale and the only one that really fit my budget, northern tool seems to have a good reputation too http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...3263_200403263

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.