Thinking of buying a welder - Page 26 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking of buying a welder

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Reply
Unread 11-14-2013, 07:03 PM   #376
Trons
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bowling Green KY
Posts: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbob View Post
Your last paragraph answers your question. Spend a couple bucks more on the wiring and get the 30A 220 installed and some more bucks for a 180-210 Mig. I have a really nice working 140 amp 110 volt Lincoln and there is no way it can weld 1/4" stuff with confidence. Folks will say they can, but it just ain't worth the trouble. On a 110 volt unit you will run into massive duty cycle issues welding 1/4" stuff with flux core on high gear. Very aggravating and iffy welds. I use the 110 volt on gas mig for thin metal and smooth welds. Terrible duty cycle, but great welds. For heavy metal I use a Hobart AC/DC (heavy metal) unit which really is a work horse. I am thinking about selling both and getting a nice "Hobby" style 190 Hobart 220 volt mig unit.
Thank you for the info. After talking to the wife, we're going to put in the 220/30 and an extra 110/20. The 110/20 will be used, initially for a 110v welder that I'm going to borrow to play with on scrap while I save up for a decent 220. I'm leaning towards the Lincoln at lowes for just under $700, but that'll take me a few months to save up for.

Once I have the 220v welder, I'll use the extra 110 circuit for grinder, air compressor, extra lighting, fans, heater, ect. Can never have too many plug ins in a garage.

__________________
'03 TJ Rubicon
'91 Cherokee Laredo, Stock
'98 XJ burned :(
Trons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #377
Bigbob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 3,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trons View Post
Thank you for the info. After talking to the wife, we're going to put in the 220/30 and an extra 110/20. The 110/20 will be used, initially for a 110v welder that I'm going to borrow to play with on scrap while I save up for a decent 220. I'm leaning towards the Lincoln at lowes for just under $700, but that'll take me a few months to save up for.

Once I have the 220v welder, I'll use the extra 110 circuit for grinder, air compressor, extra lighting, fans, heater, ect. Can never have too many plug ins in a garage.
Also check Tractor supply, they have some good deals on Hobarts during the holidays.
__________________
2006 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #378
guttafixit
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: maine
Posts: 103
Hello,
Has anyone used one of these? I'm buying a mig after the holidays. This is what I want to buy. Right now I have a 8 x 10 shed to work out of. Of course I'll be welding outside the shed. And I rent so I can't get 220v out there. Unless I want to piss off the landlord (LOL). I can run a 12/3 cord out there though. So I'll use the 120V for now. After we buy a house I'll have 220V to use. I want to buy 1 mig in my lifetime and this looks like the one to get. Just wondering if anyone used one of these and if they like it?
Thanks, Dan

POWER MIG® 180 DUAL MIG WELDER
K3018-2

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...roduct=K3018-2

Last edited by guttafixit; 11-17-2013 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: posting site
guttafixit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #379
jamesbland123
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 62
Lincoln is a great welder so you won't go wrong there. I personally have the Hobart 210MVP, which is also 110/220. It comes with an adapter for the plug type. I went with the Hobart, which is basically a Miller in disguise. The Hobart has a max output of 210 Amp over the Lincoln's 180. I typically don't weld thick material, but it's nice to have the extra power, especially since all welders in the class have about a 30% duty cycle.

Hobart use to make a model called the Trek 180, I'm not certain what happen to it as I can't find it on their website. But this welder is a 110 plug, but can weld up to 180 Amp. It's a portable welder that used an internal battery. I think a few people on Jeep forum has them as they are ideal for trail fixes.

But to answer your original question, that Lincoln is a great machine. But consider looking at Miller for a comparison and Hobart to save some coin.
jamesbland123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2014, 02:26 PM   #380
fastfreddie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 568
Got to page 14 before I skipped to the last couple pages, meaning, I may have missed a lot.

I'm one of those lookin' to be a hobbyist/DIY bumper builder and have some questions about...
CO2 as a shield gas, pros and cons?
Shielding or fluxcore, pros and cons?

One of my eventual projects will be a bed-mounted cargobox/spare carrier in aluminum. I've got a long way to go as I don't even have a welder...thought I'd get the Miller211 and grow into it.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 06:34 AM   #381
fayceoff
Ninja pirate
 
fayceoff's Avatar
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: VA Beach, VA
Posts: 454
Subscribed so I can come back and do some research. Good stuff!
__________________
"A good plan [committed to and] violently executed now is infinitely better than a perfect plan at some indeterminate time in the future." - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

"Be polite... Be professional... But have a plan to kill everyone you meet."

Engine compartment LED mod http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...te-up-2260105/
fayceoff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 05:39 PM   #382
DessyD
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Belmont, MA
Posts: 22
Anyone have any input on the ThermalArc Fabricator 181i? Its a multi-process machine, so it comes with MIG and Stick, and if later down the road I feel so inclined, I can buy a TIG setup for ~$125. I am no newbie to welding, I work in a welding shop, but need to upgrade. I do not need GTAW at all, but it's nice to have the option.

EDIT: Link ---> http://store.cyberweld.com/tharcfa18miw.html
DessyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #383
hoobness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: SNH
Posts: 3
I have a Lincoln 140 HD gas/flux core mig for sale. Great condition...$500
hoobness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2014, 01:10 PM   #384
Bigbob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 3,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by DessyD View Post
Anyone have any input on the ThermalArc Fabricator 181i? Its a multi-process machine, so it comes with MIG and Stick, and if later down the road I feel so inclined, I can buy a TIG setup for ~$125. I am no newbie to welding, I work in a welding shop, but need to upgrade. I do not need GTAW at all, but it's nice to have the option.

EDIT: Link ---> http://store.cyberweld.com/tharcfa18miw.html
That is an interesting looking unit. I'd like to see some real life reviews of it.
The duty cycle looks horrible IMHO though.
__________________
2006 Solar Yellow Rubicon Unlimited
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2014, 03:37 PM   #385
guttafixit
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: maine
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by guttafixit View Post
Hello,
Has anyone used one of these? I'm buying a mig after the holidays. This is what I want to buy. Right now I have a 8 x 10 shed to work out of. Of course I'll be welding outside the shed. And I rent so I can't get 220v out there. Unless I want to piss off the landlord (LOL). I can run a 12/3 cord out there though. So I'll use the 120V for now. After we buy a house I'll have 220V to use. I want to buy 1 mig in my lifetime and this looks like the one to get. Just wondering if anyone used one of these and if they like it?
Thanks, Dan

POWER MIG® 180 DUAL MIG WELDER
K3018-2

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...roduct=K3018-2
Found out I should have 10/3 SO cord for it. And only $230.00 away from it. And I'm working this weekend for extra $$ so I'll be even closer. Can't wait.
guttafixit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2014, 10:04 PM   #386
Krooser
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Waupaca, WI
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by DessyD View Post
Anyone have any input on the ThermalArc Fabricator 181i? Its a multi-process machine, so it comes with MIG and Stick, and if later down the road I feel so inclined, I can buy a TIG setup for ~$125. I am no newbie to welding, I work in a welding shop, but need to upgrade. I do not need GTAW at all, but it's nice to have the option.

EDIT: Link ---> http://store.cyberweld.com/tharcfa18miw.html
Great idea but I don't think it is the answer.

I looked at one since my local NAPA store sells 'em. I'm friends with the owner and he offered to sell me the one he had in his shop… he replaced it after 6 months with a regular 220V MIG.
Krooser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 09:46 AM   #387
Ironworker709
Moderator
 
Ironworker709's Avatar
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Millen Area,Georgia
Posts: 3,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by guttafixit View Post
Hello,
Has anyone used one of these? I'm buying a mig after the holidays. This is what I want to buy. Right now I have a 8 x 10 shed to work out of. Of course I'll be welding outside the shed. And I rent so I can't get 220v out there. Unless I want to piss off the landlord (LOL). I can run a 12/3 cord out there though. So I'll use the 120V for now. After we buy a house I'll have 220V to use. I want to buy 1 mig in my lifetime and this looks like the one to get. Just wondering if anyone used one of these and if they like it?
Thanks, Dan

POWER MIG® 180 DUAL MIG WELDER
K3018-2

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...roduct=K3018-2
I have the Lincoln 180 but its not the dual voltage..its just the 220v..

I bought it back when the new 180's were replacing the 175's

I've ran the crap out of mine since then and have not one little complaint on it..smooth running and even though i think it should of at times i've abused it,,it has never once hit the duty cycle..great little machine for the price

I have a 90' 10/3 extension cord i got from a job someone smashed the end on it and they was throwing it away,so i took it home and put the right 220 plug ends on it...it runs well with it even with a 90' long cord.

I did run a 12/3 50' i had laying around for a while before i got the 10/3 90' cord and can honestly tell no difference in the power,plus i kept a close look at the 12/3 cord and ends to make sure it wasn't gettin hot..never even the slightest warmth..

So if you have a 12/3 cord laying around to use and only use it for the 110v you should be more than fine for now..but if you are buying a permanant cord spend the lil extra for the 10/3 600v
__________________
Don't DREAM your life, LIVE your dreams

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 01:43 PM   #388
guttafixit
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: maine
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
I have the Lincoln 180 but its not the dual voltage..its just the 220v..

I bought it back when the new 180's were replacing the 175's

I've ran the crap out of mine since then and have not one little complaint on it..smooth running and even though i think it should of at times i've abused it,,it has never once hit the duty cycle..great little machine for the price

I have a 90' 10/3 extension cord i got from a job someone smashed the end on it and they was throwing it away,so i took it home and put the right 220 plug ends on it...it runs well with it even with a 90' long cord.

I did run a 12/3 50' i had laying around for a while before i got the 10/3 90' cord and can honestly tell no difference in the power,plus i kept a close look at the 12/3 cord and ends to make sure it wasn't gettin hot..never even the slightest warmth..

So if you have a 12/3 cord laying around to use and only use it for the 110v you should be more than fine for now..but if you are buying a permanant cord spend the lil extra for the 10/3 600v
I asked couple electricians from work and they recommended 10/3. They said 12/3 would work but 10/3 is better. Mine is only going to be 40'. I'm going to put a 20 amp GFCI in a bell box for one end. And put a male on the other. I'll make couple ends for 220v. Where I work I can get really good deals on electrical items. 10/3 SO cord for $1.23/ft.
Really glad someone else has used 10/3 and it was fine.
About $230.00 away from the 180 Duel. Can't wait!! lol

Thank you for posting this.
Dan
guttafixit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2014, 01:51 PM   #389
guttafixit
Registered User
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: maine
Posts: 103
I was going to buy the Lincoln 140C back about 7 years ago. When they first came out with "C". I just had spinal fusion done on my back and we had a boat. My wife talked me into buying a CMC TiltTrim for the motor. She was worried about me picking the motor up when we came into shore. Year later I sold the boat. Knew I should of bought the mig. lol
I was going to buy the 140C but saw the 180 Duel. Figured buy 1 and don't have to worry about upgrading down the road. And I WILL NOT LISTEN TO HER AGAIN!!
guttafixit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2014, 01:13 PM   #390
boybadone
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 27
The thermal arc 181 is a lot of machine for the money. Plus it is easier to run in your garage since it is an inverter machine.
boybadone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.