Thinking of buying a welder - Page 24 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking of buying a welder

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #346
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
Great explanation!

Are you working the oilfields in Bakersfield?

WSS
Heavens no. I was a farmer for a couple decades, co-ran a cattle feeding business for a decade, and was a criminal investigator. I am now an old fat retired guy. LOL

Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 07:54 AM   #347
browning16
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so now im looking at the Hobart Handler 125, the mig ready version, Northern tool has it on sale for $340, free shipping, and a free welding cart too. Good deal? http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7703_200447703 theres the link if you want to check it out.
browning16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 09:02 AM   #348
WSS
Ps:91

1972 CJ5 

BigBob, My Grandfather did "land Leveling" in Bakersfield in the '50s for the farmers there. I assumed from you accurate knowledge of welding and location that (maybe) you were an oilfield welder, that what you get for assuming LOL.

Browning16, I would give it a thumbs up. American made and good price too. I looked at the specs and "mig ready" means it has a gas solenoid that opens and closes when you pull the trigger. It does not have a regulator or flowmeter. You can pick one up locally for under a hundred I think. Will you weld inside or outside mostly? The reason I ask is wind plays a factor when mig welding. We have these awful winds called the Santa Anas and when they are blowing it is even hard to weld indoors, we are stuffing towles and weld blalnkets under doors and in cracks.

WSS
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #349
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning16 View Post
Ok so now im looking at the Hobart Handler 125, the mig ready version, Northern tool has it on sale for $340, free shipping, and a free welding cart too. Good deal? http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7703_200447703 theres the link if you want to check it out.
That would be a great welder to start out on no doubt. The price is right. I like the 140 more, but for the price difference the 125 looks good.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #350
browning16
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i could weld both indoors and outdoors depending on what the situation is and whether im using flux core. Our garage has outlets inside and outside so i shouldnt need an extension cord(most of the time). As far as getting started welding are there any other tools/equipment i need or should have besides a chipping hammer and auto darkening mask? Like what do you guys use to hold metals in place while welding? are there special vises and clamps that you need because of the electrical current? What materials are best to weld on? like what surface do you place the metal on when you weld? curious once again because of the grounding factor.
browning16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #351
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Recently picked up a Millermatic 175 off of CL for $500. Going to try it out for a while and if i like it I'll throw up my HH140 on CL. I love my Hobart and expect great things from the Miller.

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #352
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Read the thread, haven't welded since like 2010 and it was never on something I actually care about (little buggys and ****)

Would something like this ( http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-...8887-8494.html ) be okay for doing rockers/panels, don't plan on getting into bumpers anytime soon (only need a rear one anyways). Biggest I would go would probably be sliders.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #353
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phfister View Post
Read the thread, haven't welded since like 2010 and it was never on something I actually care about (little buggys and ****)

Would something like this ( http://www.harborfreight.com/90-amp-...8887-8494.html ) be okay for doing rockers/panels, don't plan on getting into bumpers anytime soon (only need a rear one anyways). Biggest I would go would probably be sliders.
Apparently you have't read it enough if you are still wanting to get a HF welder.

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:38 AM   #354
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by '92 vegas YJ View Post
Apparently you have't read it enough if you are still wanting to get a HF welder.
Apparently you don't get that I literally just said that it going to be for fixing my rockers and that's basically it.

I don't have the money to throw at getting it fixed via a shop or a nicer Miller (as bad as I want one).
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #355
jepp
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Gentlemen, I too am looking at buying a welder, it's not a HF but it is not one of the big three either. Please give me your opinion of this one, from Eastwood. it is on sale for about 480.00 including a 10% discount. probaly imported.

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-...spool-gun.html

no discount, excluded because it is already on sale, so price is 499.00 with free shipping has pretty good reviews
jepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #356
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepp View Post
Gentlemen, I too am looking at buying a welder, it's not a HF but it is not one of the big three either. Please give me your opinion of this one, from Eastwood. it is on sale for about 480.00 including a 10% discount. probaly imported.

http://www.eastwood.com/mig-welders-...spool-gun.html

no discount, excluded because it is already on sale, so price is 499.00 with free shipping has pretty good reviews

220v and the spool gun are a plus. If you have time, keep an eye on craigslist. Sometimes you can score a nice welder in that price range.

WSS

Our Yellow 72 CJ5 build thread

Yellow Jeep club member #73802
Unread 03-13-2013, 11:30 AM   #357
jepp
1992 YJ Wrangler 

you are right, found this on CL. Lincoln 180 mig new in box. 450 cash only

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/3661829184.html

I backed out on the deal because the guy could barely speak english, was India or arab sounding and wanted to meet at a dangerous part of KC. I am not that brave so I passed.

found the same welder on ebay for 460 and 30 shipping, may consider that one. thanks for the guidance.
3fd3ib3j75gb5fd5mcd3582a642454dbe14bd.jpg  
jepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #358
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepp View Post
you are right, found this on CL. Lincoln 180 mig new in box. 450 cash only

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/tls/3661829184.html

I backed out on the deal because the guy could barely speak english, was India or arab sounding and wanted to meet at a dangerous part of KC. I am not that brave so I passed.

found the same welder on ebay for 460 and 30 shipping, may consider that one. thanks for the guidance.
Ya, CL can be odd to say the least. I will usually go armed or have my wife covering, she can shoot better than me anyways LOL.

Unread 06-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #359
7xes
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hello all,
I am a complete newbie when it comes to welding, but having a 20 years old Jeep just seems like a smarter idea to spend some money on a decent welder rather than having a shop do work on your vehicle. I dont expect too much out of it for now, but would rather spend a little more now rather than regret it later. I would like to start out with some body panel replacements and eventually do a 8.8 axle swap.
For starters this one caught my eye with a price under my budget and good reviews: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1413_200471413
Is it going to be sufficient for the axle? That is my only concern as of now.
7xes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2013, 01:20 AM   #360
WSS

1972 CJ5 

Hobarts are good welders, I believe they are made by Miller now, even better. It is a 110 unit, do you have 220 available?

Entry level machines are often 110, this can be frustrating for a new guy. 220v machines will eliminate a lot of the problems new guys encounter w/110 machines. If you go with a 110 machine, make sure your wall plug has a dedicated or large enough breaker to handle the machine plus some reserve. No drop cords till you get used to welding with it if possible, bring the work to it.

A 220 machine can use much smaller breakers and can be drop corded using smaller wire than a 110 unit. The 110 unit shown in the link will do 1/4", probably for only an inch or two at a time, a 220 unit can probably do 1/4" for a foot. If you figure a axle tube is 4" diameter and pi it, you got your foot long weld.

Many guys use 110v units with good results, I am just throwing out some ideas here, anyway you go, you will be learning and enjoying the rewards of owning a Jeep.

Cheers!

WSS

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.