Thinking of buying a welder - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking of buying a welder

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #331
Zakman
A locked & armored Sport

2002 TJ Wrangler 

A new Miller MM211 owner here!

This thread and many others here on JF convinced me to go for a 230V machine. I was going to get a Lincoln 140, but I only wanted to purchase one unit that will last me a long, long time. The flexibilty of 115 or 230V was perfect for me until I get the garage wired for 230.

My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z...-sport-671095/
Zakman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #332
wiseguy52
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have recently been considering buying a welder myself. I was looking into the 120V migs, but after reading here, the stick welders will be reevaluated. Thanks
wiseguy52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2012, 10:12 AM   #333
WranglerBuddy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok. Lincoln 140 on craigslist for my snap on tool cart? He was asking 230 for it. My tool cart is worth about 200. What do you all think about this trade?
WranglerBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2012, 04:51 PM   #334
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

sounds good if you dont want your tool cart anymore. $230 for the welder is a good price. How old?

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #335
browning16
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Asking for a welder for Christmas but I would be more comfortable if I could ask for a specific model. I've done some research and it seems like stick/arc is the way im gonna go, being that im 16 and can't just walk up to my parents and tell them to rewire the garage, I need something to run on a standard outlet.(we have a dryer plug I could use, but its on the second story, and there's tile flooring, im not welding on the tile and running an extension cord from the 2nd story would just be a pain. Anyway, would someone give me some recommendations for a good arc welder to run from a regular outlet?? I will be doing nothing bigger than 1/4", mostly sheet metal stuff, looking to do a roll cage addition at some point, a safari rack of some sort, and some other little stuff, shelves and such.
browning16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #336
Bigbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by browning16 View Post
Asking for a welder for Christmas but I would be more comfortable if I could ask for a specific model. I've done some research and it seems like stick/arc is the way im gonna go, being that im 16 and can't just walk up to my parents and tell them to rewire the garage, I need something to run on a standard outlet.(we have a dryer plug I could use, but its on the second story, and there's tile flooring, im not welding on the tile and running an extension cord from the 2nd story would just be a pain. Anyway, would someone give me some recommendations for a good arc welder to run from a regular outlet?? I will be doing nothing bigger than 1/4", mostly sheet metal stuff, looking to do a roll cage addition at some point, a safari rack of some sort, and some other little stuff, shelves and such.
Got yourself in a pickle there. I've never seen a 110 volt stick welder that is worth much. And your two needs, 1/4" and sheet metal don't work with a 110 volt stick.

I am a big fan of stick welding as I have been doing it for about 45 years. But a good 220 volt stick welder is not suited for sheet metal and you have no 220. I'd suggest a good 110 volt Mig. Besides my 220 volt Hobart AC?DC stick welder I have a Lincoln 140 amp Mig that has been very dependable and works great on most things I do. It is not optimal on anything over 3/16" IMHO, but it can be done. Price wise they do cost more. But you can find them used sometimes at a fair price. Go for name brands. Lincoln, Miller, Hobart for dependability. Everything you talk about can be done with one of these small welders, but to me 1/4" stuff that really needs some penetration is best done with a 220 volt rig.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Bigbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #337
browning16
1989 YJ Wrangler 

well, more specifically, most of what i will be welding is gonna be sheet metal and tubing, i threw the 1/4" in there because thats the absolute max i would need to do, for if i decided to make a really beefy bumper, but realistically i probably wont go over 3/16, most of my welding will be around 1/8th or a tad smaller. I'd like to have the ability to weld 3/16, but i dont intend on putting my life in the hands of my own welds on 3/16th, i probably won't put my life behing any of my welds for awhile, until i either get a tubing bender or buy a pre bent cage set, both of which won't be for 9 months or so, so I'll be a stronger welder by then and even then, ill be relying on good welds on metal approximately 1/8th of an inch thick. I don't know if that made any sense or not, but regardless, if you had to reccommend a 110 volt, which would it be.
Unread 11-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #338
Bigbob

Quote:
well, more specifically, most of what i will be welding is gonna be sheet metal and tubing, i threw the 1/4" in there because thats the absolute max i would need to do, for if i decided to make a really beefy bumper, but realistically i probably wont go over 3/16, most of my welding will be around 1/8th or a tad smaller. I'd like to have the ability to weld 3/16, but i dont intend on putting my life in the hands of my own welds on 3/16th, i probably won't put my life behing any of my welds for awhile, until i either get a tubing bender or buy a pre bent cage set, both of which won't be for 9 months or so, so I'll be a stronger welder by then and even then, ill be relying on good welds on metal approximately 1/8th of an inch thick. I don't know if that made any sense or not, but regardless, if you had to reccommend a 110 volt, which would it be.
Well, I really don't know of any stick welders that are 110 except cheaply built stuff like Harbor Frieght sells. On Mig I'd go with Lincoln, Hobart, or Miller. Look for sales. I'd use any of them.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Mods done: Hurst tee handle, cheap hand throttle, Rokmen Merc front bumper, Warn 9.5 TI winch with 3/8" X 100 worth of Viking yellow rope, DPG OME Ultimate with JKS ACOS up front, Kilby Gas Tank Skid, Kilby Steering Box Skid, Jeep Medic Belly Up, Skidrow Engine Skid, Rockcrusher Diff Skid in the rear, Warn Diff cover in front, , AR Outlaw II's and MTR 12:50/15's, Homemade rear Bumper, Cheap Cobra CB, Puma OBA, Sirius Radio, Locker Defeat, Rockhard cage, Rockmen short corners, homemade tire swing/tailgate hinge affair, Airlift air bags on the rear- - - - - - and more to come!
Unread 11-07-2012, 07:43 AM   #339
browning16
1989 YJ Wrangler 

But then i need to buy a tank and gas right? I dont want to deal with that
Unread 11-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #340
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

I recently bought a Hobart Ironman 230. I couldn't be happier with it. Welds HOT and quiet as a mouse. The 15ft gun was simply the icing on the cake. Side note: When you call to talk to a Hobart rep, they answer the phone "Miller welding, this is Jim."

I recommend highly.

First weld outta the box on 3/16" Settings on 5 with 40 wire speed.

Unread 11-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #341
Bigbob

Quote:
But then i need to buy a tank and gas right? I dont want to deal with that
Most all newer 110 volt Migs come with the regulator for gas, but no gas tank. No problem. You can weld flux core as well. Once some money comes in get a tank and weld Mig as well. A tank is not as expensive as you may think. Bottom line is, the Lincoln, Miller, Hobart 110 Migs will weld flux core right out of the box.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 11-07-2012, 02:03 PM   #342
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomb Raider View Post
I recently bought a Hobart Ironman 230. I couldn't be happier with it. Welds HOT and quiet as a mouse. The 15ft gun was simply the icing on the cake. Side note: When you call to talk to a Hobart rep, they answer the phone "Miller welding, this is Jim."

I recommend highly.

First weld outta the box on 3/16" Settings on 5 with 40 wire speed.

Nice machine! I had a "betamig" 250 years ago and a "fabricator" (think it was a 300amp). They always worked hard. I have been seeing some odd things about the Miller/Hobart merge. Once in a while a LTL truck will pull in here with a bunch of Hobarts going to the Miller depot LOL. As long as they keep them made in America. I will have to post a pic of my '50s vintage Hobart stick welder, she is 220v single phase and can burn some rod!

Nice weld, imagine what they will look like when you learn how to dance with her.

WSS
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #343
browning16
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Is gasless MIG any better than stick? Isn't it the same thing?? or is the entire MIG machine different?
Unread 11-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #344
Bigbob

Quote:
Is gasless MIG any better than stick? Isn't it the same thing?? or is the entire MIG machine different?
Okay, when you buy what most commonly call a MIG machine you are actually buying a wire feed welder. There are 2 methods that wire feed welders operate. Flux core welding where the wire has a flux in it to allow the proper chemical stuff to happen and the weld penetrate and work properly. Flux core welding requires no gas. One advantage to Flux core is you can weld outdoors better with it as doing MIG in windy conditions can be problematic. You will also find, especially with a 110 volt welder, that with flux core welding you can get deeper penetration and weld heavier metal. The welds are not a pretty as with the Mig process, but in some cases are stronger. And yes, welding flux core is similar to stick welding. As far as gasless flux core being better than stick is up to the welder. I seldom use flux core on my small Lincoln 110 volt welder. I use it for thinner metal and sheet metal as a MIG. Beautiful welds. I do really like the fact that I can go flux core and weld anywhere I can get a 110 volt extension cord outside. There is a lot of times you may need to weld something in the backyard or somewhere that getting a 220 volt machine to would not be feasible. But if I am welding 3/16" and up structural stuff I get out my big stick AC/DC welder.

Mig uses a solid wire with no flux. A mixture of inert gas is fed to the area of the weld and allows the weld to be made in a zero oxygen environment which helps eliminate oxidizing in the weld and also being there is no flux the weld is smoother.

There are some 110 volt machines that are flux core only machines. The majority though give you the option to go both ways. I strongly suggest you get the machine that allows both. You can add the gas tank later.
Jeep Club Member #1340
6 Speed, Hardtop
Unread 11-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #345
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Great explanation!

Are you working the oilfields in Bakersfield?

WSS
WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.