Thinking of buying a welder - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking of buying a welder

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-27-2011, 03:11 PM   #316
wilderstyle
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My first welder was a $400 lincoln electric 100hd from the home depot and I was able to do all the fabricating I could think of with it. I even built a frame for a chopper using it that I rode for 7 years with no sign of failing welds. I always used the shielded wire, but I also didn't weld any thin sheet metal. For the average jeep owner and small fabrication jobs you should be fine with a small 110v welder.

wilderstyle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #317
kcaverly
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I gotta say, it's pretty tough to go wrong with a lincoln ac 225. It will weld anything on a Jeep (except bodywork) and they are dirt cheap everywhere. I used one at my father-in-laws for a year and had great success building and repairing my Jeep with it. Now I've got my own place, just picked one up and it is doing great on my frame reinforcing.

Kevin
Unread 09-30-2011, 05:54 AM   #318
USPcommando
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Not wanting to get into a whole red .vs. blue thing but I have had both. I like the millers better, their new welders with auto-set really are nice for beginers & those who have been out of it for awhile. I picked mine up off of ebay for several hundred less than MSRP.
Unread 10-12-2011, 06:21 PM   #319
ssl90
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Not real sure how often this is checked, but I'll give it a shot. I'm thinking about the Century 180 (made by Lincoln) or the Hobart 140, both very close in price. I'm really leaning towards the Century due to the increased power of course, but the Hobart of course is great quality. I've read mostly good things about the Century, but there are some bad reviews. Anyone have experience with the Century?

Thanks in advance
ssl90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #320
4wheelrampage

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Alright guys, whats the rep on this:

http://www.hobartwelders.com/product...lx235ac-160dc/

I've always been jealous of people who can weld, and plan on teaching myself how to. I am basically looking for

something that even if it isn't the easiest to learn on, I wont need to really upgrade from any time soon. All i really ever plan on

doing are jeep related projects so I feel I don't need some 1000+ machine. From what I've read i feel that this would be a

solid choice for a welder. Any advice at ALL would be greatly appreciated, because other then what I have read I have

absolutely zero hands on experience.

EDIT: Amazing what the search function can do. Sounds like a solid welder. Sounds like I might just have to do it.
4wheelrampage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #321
1LittleYj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

At work we have millers and the new pulse welder lincolns. i prefer the millers which is why i have one in my garage and i love it!! I think the model is a Miller 210. it a few years older but works like a charm!
1LittleYj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #322
senecak19
1994 YJ Wrangler 

+1 For another Miller 211 Autoset owner.
senecak19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2011, 12:03 PM   #323
Pisswillys
1948 CJ3A 

as soon as you lean to weld you will want to do bigger jobs = 220v welder
Unread 12-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #324
Roughboy

I have been stick welding for the past year with a Miller Trailblazer. I just picked up a Lincoln 180 from home depot for $600 with a 10% military discount. The wife didn't understand why I needed another welder...it was hard to get her to understand it was just too big for some of the small jobs I want to do Unfortunately, I don't have my material cut and ready to go, so I had to run some beads on some scrap I had. It was almost like learning to weld again, but once I got the hang of it, it makes a nice clean bead, even with the flux core. I'll give some more feedback when I get my material ready to build some bumpers.
Roughboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #325
andrewj1398
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looking to purchase a Lincoln 180 as well. Will this weld 1/4" bumpers? Also I'm looking to weld 1" bumper clevis mounts to the 1/4" bumper will this welder handle this? And is Hobart better then Lincoln? For a couple $$ more I can get a 185 Hobart at tractor supply... Hope some one can help...
andrewj1398 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #326
Roughboy

I havn't been able to do any extensive welding with it yet, so I can't do a through review, but just playing around I have welded 1/4 plate with no problem, infact I was quite impressed, the welder really burns in the weld. I havn't been able to try it yet, but the welder claims to be able to weld up to 1/2 using the flux core wire. So unless your welding together bridges, or weld for a living, I think this welder will be all you need. As for the brands, i think it is 6 of one, half dozen of the other as long as you go with a proven name.
Roughboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #327
sbcranger
1985 CJ7 

i found a lead on a used Lincoln 3200HD - anybody have any experience with this unit? i tried searching the web for some reviews on it but didnt come up with much, mostly first time welders working with mostly sheet metal.

ill be using it for everything from body work to probably max of .25 mild steel

here are the specs i found on it

Lincoln Electric's Weld-Pak™ 3200 HD Overview
• 25-135 amps CV DC output
• Welds up to 5/16 in. steel using flux-cored wire.
• Plugs into 120V, 20 amp outlet.
• For welding .023-.035" mild steel and stainless steel solid MIG (gas-shielded) wire (stainless steel wire sold separately). Also for .035" mild steel flux-cored (gasless) wire. Install K664-2 Aluminum Welding Kit to expand the Weld-Pak 3200 HD's welding capabilities to include .035" aluminum solid MIG wire.

is it realistic to expect this machine to do .25 mild steel on flux?
and eventually aluminum with forementioned kit?

the guy is asking $450 comes with a small tank, L.E. gloves, L.E. auto-dim mask, and hand held mask.

what do you guys think?
sbcranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #328
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...der-98871.html

I just am looking for a welder to mess around with and make a roof rack or something for my zj, eventually working my way up to bumpers. But my paychecks arent much more than 120 a week.

so im looking for something cheap. not looking to get more than a few years out of it.

My boss has a bigger mig welder with a big tank i could use but i dont feel comfortable learning on it without him there(sundays) but im sure hed let me use it if i told him i knew how.

if that one isnt good enough(the link above)
can someone link me something that is under 400 bucks that is good enough up to 1/4 inch metal? i read all the recent comments but its all stuff about 500+ ones.

Thanks..i prefer tankless.

in the works: lp30 + 8.8 build to 4.88s + wj swap
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #329
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Anybody running a new Hobart Handler 210MVP? Any opinions on this machine & the aluminum spoolgun??

I've got a HH140 and pretty sure I'm going to sell it to get the new 210MVP. I love my HH140, so I'm sure I'll enjoy the 210MVP.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #330
jamesbland123
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I picked up the 210MVP about 2 months ago and love it. I also have the HH135 which I bought about 13-14 years ago. The 210MVP runs off 110 and 220 with an included plug adapter. This has been very helpful as I've had to push the welder in an area with only 110 near by and my 25' 220 extension wouldn't reach.

I got the spool gun but haven't used it as it requires a different gas mixture than my 75/25 Argon and really haven't found a need to weld aluminum yet. I take that back, I haven't found a compelling reason to go purchase another tank so I could weld aluminum.

For the price it's a good buy and you'll be happy.
jamesbland123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.