Thinking of buying a welder - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking of buying a welder

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 12-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #301
2000-TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My best advice is to always buy the biggest MIG welder you can afford!!! I've been welding for 10 years now and I know from experiance a welder that is too small for the job will only frustrate you!!

Last edited by 2000-TJ; 12-11-2010 at 03:11 PM..
2000-TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #302
HONDOK9
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't seen it listed here but what do you guys think about the Lincoln Weld Pak 100 HD. I runs on 110v and flux core .035 wire on the DC setting. That is what I have right now and it seems to do ok. I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting enough penetration though after reading through this thread and doing some research.
Unread 01-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #303
'92 vegas YJ
R.I.P. Ratmonkey

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i dont think the 100 is enough heat. i have a HH140 and sometimes feel underpowered.

really depends on what you're tring to do.... really thin stuff? yea it'll work. 3/16" or thicker? not a chance

April 2012, May 2013, May 2014 YJ of the month
'92 vegas YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 10:23 AM   #304
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I welded with a weld PAC 100 for ten years. It was a great little welder and with the correct prep it would weld 1/4 just fine. 1/4 is it's limit though.
90 YJ 102 in wb stretch, SOA, dana 60, 14 bolt welded,4.56s, 37in Parnelli jones dirt grips, currie twin stick dana 300, york oba, tractor link traction bar, full custom armor,poison spyder tube fenders, 95Cherokee High Output 4.0
2014 JKU, modified Rubicon Rails, RC stubby with warn 8000m, 2" leveling springs and OME trim spacers, Superchips Flashcal, Spidertrax wheel spacers, rubi shocks, and Lots more mods soon!!!
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #305
87jeepyj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

i dont know if its in this thread or not but all i want to know is what size mig welder i need to fab a cage or bumbers and or replacing floor panels and what not
87jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #306
getemduck
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I was looking into welder when I founds this thread, it is an intresting read. I founds this guy at harbor freight the price is right but will it just be a pile of junk? It claims to weld up to 1/2" which is more then I need (at least for now) has anyone tried their stuff?

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...der-98871.html
getemduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2011, 04:46 AM   #307
87jeepyj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by getemduck
I was looking into welder when I founds this thread, it is an intresting read. I founds this guy at harbor freight the price is right but will it just be a pile of junk? It claims to weld up to 1/2" which is more then I need (at least for now) has anyone tried their stuff?

http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...der-98871.html
Everyone says those welders are junk and that person realized that he wasted his money so he trying to get some of his money back to get a better one
87jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2011, 09:48 PM   #308
hallway94yj
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So I'm on craigslist searching for a new welder, I run accross a "newer" hobart stickmate lx, ac/dc for a great price. Any info or tips on this welder? I plan on doing my 8.8 swap this spring as well as a new tire carrier for the bumper. Good idea? Should I jump on it?
hallway94yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #309
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I picked up a Miller Synchrowave 250 TIG welder a couple of years ago from a gent that was a gunsmith. Clearly for welding such small parts he never really used the higher end of the Amperage available.

I've grabbed a new TIG Torch that allows me to go up to ~275 Amps or so using 1/4" Tungsten. It originally had a home made Cooling Pump with it but that quickly became totally useless, so I upgraded to a proper Miller TIG cooling pump and could not be happier.

I had to have a proper 100 Amp plug installed next to the breaker box in the garage and a 20' cord on my Welder so that I can fully disconnect it when it is not in use.

I know - not many people have a Production Grade welder in their homes, but hey - I do
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #310
portcityXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Need some advice:
The only decent welder in my budget right now is the HH140. the main projects will be unbody stiffeners, HD rocker replacement, body/sheet metal work, and i eventually want to build an 8.8. Will the HH140 be enough to handle the jobs? i will be practicing a lot before attempting any. i havent done any welding since HS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRollerSkate View Post
Do they come in any other varieties besides crap?
portcityXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 06:00 AM   #311
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by portcityXJ View Post
Need some advice:
The only decent welder in my budget right now is the HH140. the main projects will be unbody stiffeners, HD rocker replacement, body/sheet metal work, and i eventually want to build an 8.8. Will the HH140 be enough to handle the jobs? i will be practicing a lot before attempting any. i havent done any welding since HS.
You should be fine and when you build the 8.8 let me know..you are only a few hours south of me,i've worked in Brunswick a few times at the Paper Mill for an industrial service company.

I have a Lincoln Ranger 8 225 amp machine for stick.
Lincoln 180 ProMig 220v wirefeed
And a Miller Maxstar 200 DX for TIG and Stick.

It'd be better for you come here since i am all setup here but if you have no way of getting it here,maybe i can load up the equipment in my truck and haul the Lincoln ranger behind the truck for power supply or just stick weld them...

Of course there is a hefty fee for all this...

Good conversation,maybe a few beers and a dinner for me and the lil lady of my life..oh yea..and the highest price would be making new freinds with a jeep buddy.

Is that too expensive?...

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #312
portcityXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
You should be fine and when you build the 8.8 let me know..you are only a few hours south of me,i've worked in Brunswick a few times at the Paper Mill for an industrial service company.

I have a Lincoln Ranger 8 225 amp machine for stick.
Lincoln 180 ProMig 220v wirefeed
And a Miller Maxstar 200 DX for TIG and Stick.

It'd be better for you come here since i am all setup here but if you have no way of getting it here,maybe i can load up the equipment in my truck and haul the Lincoln ranger behind the truck for power supply or just stick weld them...

Of course there is a hefty fee for all this...

Good conversation,maybe a few beers and a dinner for me and the lil lady of my life..oh yea..and the highest price would be making new freinds with a jeep buddy.

Is that too expensive?...
That definitely sounds right in my price range! i will for sure let you know. im sure i can load the 8.8 up in the XJ and drive it to you. Beer is on me!

-Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRollerSkate View Post
Do they come in any other varieties besides crap?
portcityXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2011, 07:02 PM   #313
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Let me know at least a week ahead of time and we'll "git r dun"..lol

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2011, 04:05 PM   #314
Dodgeram1989
1976 FSJ Cherokee 

I am thinking about buying the HF welders that is like $150 bucks just to learn on, I will use to to build my tube doors and screw around till I get the hang of it.

Would it be a waste of money? or good to learn on? $250 is about my max price I can spend on a welder right now.
Dodgeram1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2011, 10:00 AM   #315
SECorBust
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgeram1989 View Post
I am thinking about buying the HF welders that is like $150 bucks just to learn on, I will use to to build my tube doors and screw around till I get the hang of it.

Would it be a waste of money? or good to learn on? $250 is about my max price I can spend on a welder right now.
First, I'm not really qualified to answer your question other than I have read alot of the thread and have taken a little community college welding class.

The thread indicates that the Harbor Freight welders are junk. The duty cycles and amperages are really low and that makes it virtually impossible to weld most jeep related projects. They are ideal for light thin ducting or maybe auto body work. My neighbors bought the smallest HF welders and successfully used them to weld up some small tube umpers and racks for their offroad golf carts, but that is about the intended use for those welders.

Hobart, Miller, and Lincoln are trusted brands. I'm looking for a cheap welder also that I can weld motor mounts, spring perches, bumpers and etc with. The 110 amp MIG welders have a lower duty cycle that I can deal with, but you have to get up to the 135-140 amp welders to weld anything that you might need to depend on and then it is iffy. The Handler 187 would probably be ideal for us, but it is some serious coin.

It looks like the most suitable budget welder is going to be something similar to the 225 arc welder. These "crackerjack welders can be found anywhere and everywhere including craigslist for a reasonable ammount. With practice you should be able to weld any and everything on a jeep (besides sheet metal) with one of these.

http://poconos.craigslist.org/tls/2368619820.html
SECorBust is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.