Thinking of buying a welder - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Fabrication Shop > Thinking of buying a welder

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 12-02-2010, 10:35 AM   #286
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Also remember in you're budget you'll be needing other fab tools..grinders,cutting tools,bottles for gas for MIG,welding jackets,gloves,facesheilds,welding shield..this is one i would not go cheap on,a good auto welding hood makes a HUGE difference ,especialy for someone just learning.

Never forget 9/11

"Welding is like a woman,Get 'er HOT and Penetrate"

Gotta LOVE a person who knows everything about NOTHING

The only Thing necessary for the Evil to win is a good man to do nothing....

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Ironworker709 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:48 AM   #287
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironworker709 View Post
I've never used a Snap-on machine..but for the money you are willing to spend i would totaly stay with the big names..Lincoln,Miller,ESAB and Hobart..Miller and Lincoln being my first choices.

Any of the sears,Snap-Ons,Eastwood,Northern Tools etc machines i've seen n read reviews on are just a remake of big name machines with less inferior parts in them for a lower price
I'm not willing to spend $2,500. I just got the impression that that is where this was going. I would like to stay around the $1,000 mark. I priced the mm211 with a 40 cf tank at about $1,100. I could handle that but just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake because well it's $1,100 and I'm not a rich man.

So you are saying that the mm211 can weld 0.25" for 10 minutes without stopping? That's more duty cycle than i'll ever need, I think.
jose_p_adams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #288
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose_p_adams View Post
I'm not willing to spend $2,500. I just got the impression that that is where this was going. I would like to stay around the $1,000 mark. I priced the mm211 with a 40 cf tank at about $1,100. I could handle that but just want to make sure I'm not making a mistake because well it's $1,100 and I'm not a rich man.

So you are saying that the mm211 can weld 0.25" for 10 minutes without stopping? That's more duty cycle than i'll ever need, I think.
Most likely YES,,for the fact running .025 (i use .023 for thin sheetmetal) only uses a tiny percent of the machines capabilities..that ups the duty cycle of it.
The advertised duty cycles are measured at the machines limit,meaning using the highest heat setting,anything less creates a higher duty cycle of usage.

If i was in you're shoes(just my opinion ONLY)..i would go with something around the 180 range for having a set budget of 1000.00..even a Miller 180 is around 800.00,that leaves you with 200.00 to spend on other things NEEDED for welding and fabrication..or even a Lincoln 180 or Hobart 187 for around 650.00..that leaves 350.00 for other things too.
Just buying the welder is just a START..there is so MUCH more to buy to get started in welding/fabrication.

Never forget 9/11

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,compassionate with the aged,sympathetic with the striving,and tolerant with the weak and strong--because someday YOU will have been all of these"....George Washington Carver

Want to know what an Ironworker is and the job scope of a Journeyman?..click here...http://www.ironworkers.org/becoming/careers.aspx
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #289
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also remember in you're budget you'll be needing other fab tools..grinders,cutting tools,bottles for gas for MIG,welding jackets,gloves,facesheilds,welding shield..this is one i would not go cheap on,a good auto welding hood makes a HUGE difference ,especialy for someone just learning.
I have a stick welder that I have used occasionally so have the personal protection equipment needed already. I also have a grinder. I am planning to buy the gas cylinder with the welder. I'm looking at 40 cf cylinders.
Unread 12-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #290
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

What Part Pa you in Jose?..i'm originaly from Altoona..and will be up there and Newark Delaware and Elkton Md for a long holiday vacation visiting freinds and family in just a few weeks or less untill after the 1st of the year...i will most likely be bringing my Lincoln 180 along for the fact everytime i go up someone wants something fixed/welded when i come up..lol...i could let you use mine for an example of how it runs.

Never forget 9/11

Unread 12-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #291
mknight759
1986 CJ7 

Check on the price of a 125 cf tank they sold me mine for 40$ more than the small tank that way it will last longer without refills you should consider ironworker's offer see if you like the way that machine runs.
mknight759 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 11:56 AM   #292
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Most likely YES,,for the fact running .025 (i use .023 for thin sheetmetal) only uses a tiny percent of the machines capabilities..that ups the duty cycle of it.
The advertised duty cycles are measured at the machines limit,meaning using the highest heat setting,anything less creates a higher duty cycle of usage.

If i was in you're shoes(just my opinion ONLY)..i would go with something around the 180 range for having a set budget of 1000.00..even a Miller 180 is around 800.00,that leaves you with 200.00 to spend on other things NEEDED for welding and fabrication..or even a Lincoln 180 or Hobart 187 for around 650.00..that leaves 350.00 for other things too.
Just buying the welder is just a START..there is so MUCH more to buy to get started in welding/fabrication.
I meant 0.25" steel, not the diameter of the welding wire.

I am originally from Ebensburg area but now live in Harrisburg. Newark is kind of a haul from here but I appreciate the offer.
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:25 PM   #293
wushaw
Rockin jeep

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I timed out my MM175 twice, once welding up a disk frame (welding 1/2" to 3/16") I built to plow my food plots and another time building my 4X8 dump trailer on 1/8" material, I layed 16' of bead before it timed out though
It took me 5 years to decide to buy a bigger machine.
Just to let ya know this welding thing is very addicting, it opens up a whole new way to put things together.
wushaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #294
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose_p_adams View Post
I meant 0.25" steel, not the diameter of the welding wire.

I am originally from Ebensburg area but now live in Harrisburg. Newark is kind of a haul from here but I appreciate the offer.
I'll be in Altoona area too visiting family goin right thru harrisburg up 283 to the turnpike..i used to hang out in Ebensburg alot..played a few bars there when i was "tryin to be a rock star" back in the days when i played in alot of bands..lol

It would be just a hop n a skip from Altoona Via the turnpike,,besides..i like to meet new jeepin buddys when i get a chance..i'll even bring all my auto sheilds for ya try out too and some free goodies for fabrication/safety equip. i get free from work

Never forget 9/11

Unread 12-03-2010, 12:36 AM   #295
mknight759
1986 CJ7 

Iron worker I just noticed your not to terrible far from me Albany Ga.
Unread 12-03-2010, 05:46 AM   #296
Ironworker709

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknight759 View Post
Iron worker I just noticed your not to terrible far from me Albany Ga.
We'll have to hook up sometime after the holidays and do some jeepin or mess around with some building/fabrication..
I noticed 'Albany" but there is so many Albany's in different states didn't realize you was in Ga.

I'm just a few hours ,if that from there.

Never forget 9/11

Unread 12-04-2010, 10:24 AM   #297
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I bought a welder and a bottle. I'll post up later with a review. Thanks everyone for the input.
Unread 12-04-2010, 01:25 PM   #298
mknight759
1986 CJ7 

Well is it a secret what did you end up getting?
Unread 12-07-2010, 07:57 PM   #299
jose_p_adams
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknight759 View Post
Well is it a secret what did you end up getting?
It's a secret. j/k

I bought the MM211. I went over budget but it is nice. I haven't gotten to use it on 220 yet because my old welder has a different plug than this one. I need to get a new plug for my welder circuit. I'd say it is about 30-40 times easier to use than my stick welder and that makes me happy.

Learned the hard way that MIG wire likes to unspool itself... what a mess.
Unread 12-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #300
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

THe MM211 is a nice welder. I have the MM180 which is good for what I need it for, but the 211 has a little more "oomph", which is always a good thing!
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.